• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

Considering how this film has performed domestically as well as the under performance of Avengers 2 and the Fantastic Four. The comic book film bubble has popped and we are on a way downward slope just like the horror fad of the 80's and the action films of the 90's.

Huh? The comic book film bubble is still in it's infancy.

What horror fad of the 80's are you referring to? Btw, If there was a fad, that was for only one decade, whereas comic book films have been going strong for nearly 2, and there's no signs of stopping. Not sure how you could compare the two. (shrug)

Considering how this film has performed domestically as well as the under performance of Avengers 2 and the Fantastic Four. The comic book film bubble has popped and we are on a way downward slope just like the horror fad of the 80's and the action films of the 90's.

What horror fad of the 80's are you referring to? Btw, If there was a fad, that was for only one decade, whereas comic book films have been going strong for nearly 2, and there's no signs of stopping. Not sure how you could compare the two. (shrug)

Because if you repeat something long enough, eventually you'll be right. The bubble has been bursting for years now. :eyeroll:

Because if you repeat something long enough, eventually you'll be right. The bubble has been bursting for years now. :eyeroll:

Lots of fads and trends, like movie genre popularity, are not just one off events

but cyclical.

2cx9s46.jpg

There's a famous quote that seems appropriate in response to 'the bubble has been bursting for year now (sarcasm) retorts... :eyeroll: '

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.”

John Maynard Keynes

Just because a bubble hasn't (officially and obviously) burst, does not mean it doesn't exist.

I don't know that I would claim the comic movie bubble is already bursting, but, these kinds of things are always hard to verify until after the fact. I do think a big part of the upward trend in comic prices as an asset bubble, is strongly correlated with the stock market (FED induced asset) melt up over the past few years. And, also as a trend, tends to follow feel good market regimes.

Over $150MIL in 2 days less than a month. If this runs into October, as many popular August movies will on top of China and Japan's numbers, this is a big win for Marvel.

It already is a success for the simple fact that Marvel was able to generate $300M+ from a weak 3rd tier character.

It just shows that you can wring blood from a stone if you do it properly.

As long as it is not the FF any super-hero film can succeed. :devil:lol

Ant-Man foreign box office was adjusted, as the final total was lower than originally posted.

LWQdpP1.png

But the historic drop-off comparison still shows Ant-Man is tracking better than Iron Man 3 by Week 5, and even better than Iron Man (2008).

A7LFTW8.png

Pending box office:

South Korea (20 August 2015)

Austria (27 August 2015)

Greece (17 September 2015)

China (18 September 2015)

Japan (19 September 2015)

I think it'll all depend on how the humor translates with the Chinese audience. If china comes out for it in big numbers or it has any staying power there, it might hit 450. But even if they only hit maybe 415 or so, that's still pretty solid with a decent chance for growth in future movies. Especially if Ant-Man picks up some fans in CA: Civil War that didn't see this movie the first time around.

Marvel Studios movies in Japan alone have done quite well.

- The Avengers box office final (Japan): $45,256,010

- Iron Man 3 box office final (Japan): $25,185,661

- Captain America: The Winter Soldier box office final (Japan): $6,628,830

- Guardians of the Galaxy box office final (Japan): $9,504,440

Add this to China's contributions plus continued overall growth and Ant-Man should break $400 MM.

If you throw away the opening weekend, Antman has domestically actually outgained the 1st Captain America movie by about $1.5mil. thru the 5th Wednesday of release, and seems to be gaining ground on it's overall numbers every day. I wonder if Antman has a chance to reach Cap 1 overall numbers?

In the same time period it has equaled ASM 2's money.

In the same time period it has outgained Wolverine by $16mil.

This is Antman I'm talking about, a second tier character, compared to 3 Marvel giants.

Edited by gadzukes

It's a solid movie with good word-of-mouth. Not quite GotG word-of-mouth, but good nonetheless. And it's also had weak competition (M:I Rogue Nation notwithstanding) in similar appeal demos. I'm not shocked that it's got some staying power. I might go see it again sometime in the next week or so. I really enjoyed it & am a little bummed that I've only seen it once.

If you throw away the opening weekend, Antman has domestically actually outgained the 1st Captain America movie by about $1.5mil. thru the 5th Wednesday of release, and seems to be gaining ground on it's overall numbers every day. I wonder if Antman has a chance to reach Cap 1 overall numbers?

In the same time period it has equaled ASM 2 money.

In the same time period it has outgained Wolverine by $16mil.

This is Antman I'm talking about compared to 3 Marvel giants.

Not that I am taking anything away from Marvel, but there are contributors here other than Marvel just throwing a relatively unknown character out there to see how it would do in a movie.

- Included stars that are already widely known, and quite popular.

- Had this led by a very seasoned director who replaced another popular and seasoned director.

- Heavily advertised this was part of the Marvel Universe from the same studio that brought you Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and the combined Avengers.

I definitely have no concerns with Ant-Man's success. But I wouldn't just assume Marvel could throw anyone into the suit and it would have been gold, or put anyone behind the camera and it would have worked. Marvel's ability to pick successful production teams, cast the right actors (though now the past few years actors are throwing themselves at Marvel) and then linking the stories in a way it feels like an on-going tale is part of the magic they have been able to achieve repeatedly.

- Michael Douglas: Let's not make light of his Hollywood legacy and box office draw. He usually associates himself with films that have the strength of story to pull people into seats. Even his delivery in 'Behind the Candelabra' was so rock-solid, you didn't question him much being Liberace. And I thought that was going to be horrible, and watched it just to see for myself. He nailed it!

- Paul Rudd: He may have starred in some movies that were far from successful. But he has also delivered better than average performances in productions as a voice actor (Monsters vs. Aliens; The Simpsons), comedies (Anchorman 1 & 2; The 40-Year-Old Virgin), and even oddball comedy-dramas (Wanderlust). At least he is consistent, and his name is well recognized though before now not a superstar.

- Evangeline Lilly: Lost made her a recognized name. But her work in 'Real Steel' proved she could perform outside of this show, though the movie was not a massive success. Even her work on 'The Hobbit' franchise helped her stand out in a massive casting that otherwise an actress could get easily lost in the noise.

- Peyton Reed: I had never heard of him before Ant-Man as a director. But once his name came out and I looked him up on IMDb, it was clear he had extensive experience as a director. So unlike F4 where they threw a one-time movie director at a franchise to relaunch the entire universe, Marvel went with a seasoned pro to replace the original director at a point that could have massively disrupted this movie's end product.

Add to this the wise Disney/Marvel marketing strategy to attract attention to this movie (mini billboards; linking it right up front with the bigger franchise) and it is no surprise this is at least a good success. And it will surpass the Revenue Ratio of 'Captain America: The First Avenger' (2.6X) this weekend. Though with Cap2, it is the second lowest Marvel movie to date with a much larger budget ($140 MM back in 2011 - $148 MM in 2015 compared to Ant-Man's $130 MM). So it should be passing that movie up by default.

This was very wisely handled in order to make it successful.

Marvel Studios movies in Japan alone have done quite well.

- The Avengers box office final (Japan): $45,256,010

- Iron Man 3 box office final (Japan): $25,185,661

- Captain America: The Winter Soldier box office final (Japan): $6,628,830

- Guardians of the Galaxy box office final (Japan): $9,504,440

Add this to China's contributions plus continued overall growth and Ant-Man should break $400 MM.

It has a chance, I guess, but I don't see it hitting GoTG numbers which would make it more difficult.

That being said, it has still done well due to a lack of competition (FF lol ) and being a decent movie. I have not seen it yet and will wait to download it or buy the DVD if the kids want to - they had a choice last weekend and wanted to see Minions instead of Ant-Man. lol

Domestic: $164,524,000 (45.6%)

Foreign: $196,500,000 (54.4%)

Worldwide: $361,024,000

Pending box office:

Austria (27 August 2015)

Greece (17 September 2015)

China (18 September 2015)

Japan (19 September 2015)

I would have never have thought this, but I believe Antman will now do better domestically than Captain America First Avenger. It keeps creeping closer every day.

Remember how many people thought it would top out at $155mil-$160mil? This movie is doing great for it's 6th week.