• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Foom 2 a Prototype for Wolverine?

Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?

410 posts in this topic

zzz Couldn't see that link making an appearance. Again. (thumbs u

A Water Cooler favourite.

There must be loads of Jesus on Toast threads in the WC :grin:

Actually, I made a mistake. Wikipedia defines Apohenia as "unmotivated seeing of connections".

There is a clear motivation on some people to see this connection:

It´s Green

It´s not the Hulk on the Cover

acb.jpg

So you guys all own graded copies of Hulk 181 comics eh? Just kidding.

But the fact that Marvel used the name Wolverine right after this should al least raise some concerns about the origin of the character.

Here's another one. As many of you like to say, the market is speaking...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOOM-2-1973-RARE-FIRST-WOLVERINE-PROTOTYPE-BEFORE-HULK-181-/331092820441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d16ab81d9

zzz Couldn't see that link making an appearance. Again. (thumbs u

A Water Cooler favourite.

There must be loads of Jesus on Toast threads in the WC :grin:

Actually, I made a mistake. Wikipedia defines Apohenia as "unmotivated seeing of connections".

There is a clear motivation on some people to see this connection:

It´s Green

It´s not the Hulk on the Cover

acb.jpg

So you guys all own graded copies of Hulk 181 comics eh? Just kidding.

But the fact that Marvel used the name Wolverine right after this should al least raise some concerns about the origin of the character.

Here's another one. As many of you like to say, the market is speaking...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOOM-2-1973-RARE-FIRST-WOLVERINE-PROTOTYPE-BEFORE-HULK-181-/331092820441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d16ab81d9

And it's speaking in several threads!! :o

The drawing in foom 2 looks nothing like wolverine, not even in an "early stages" sense. No claws, hairs wrong, masks wrong. The only thing that seems the same is the name. In my opinion, foom 2 has nothing to do with the charecter we all know as wolverine. It simply has a charecter that shared the same name that was later abandoned. In my opinion, its utterly worthless.

The drawing in foom 2 looks nothing like wolverine, not even in an "early stages" sense. No claws, hairs wrong, masks wrong. The only thing that seems the same is the name. In my opinion, foom 2 has nothing to do with the charecter we all know as wolverine. It simply has a charecter that shared the same name that was later abandoned. In my opinion, its utterly worthless.

I agree with the above, Plus - this book hasn't been hidden for 40 yrs and now someone(s) ran into it and brought up the question.. It has never been considered the "prototype" of wolverine before, and I cant see that changing. Just as the above member quoted - "only thing that is the same is the, name" - NOTHING else is remotely similar 2c

rantrant

go on :whee:

The picture in the Foom 2 magazine has a postage sized collage of a character that has no visual similarity to Wolverine that just happens to be named Wolverine. A fool and his money ...

For this to be a legitimate prototype, doesn't there have to be some connection here other than a name? A statement from Claremont or Trimpe? One of the creators would have mentioned this connection by now if there was any legitimacy to it. It's not the same artist, it's not a visual match (Superman and Spider-Man visually have more in common), it was simply a sketch sent in by a reader (probably a kid) who happened to use the name Wolverine.

As I said before, if the name is all that is important, there are some other prototypes waiting to be discovered.

Are we collectors so eager to give away our money that we are now going to look at simple coincidences and start assigning importance to them? (shrug)

The picture in the Foom 2 magazine has a postage sized collage of a character that has no visual similarity to Wolverine that just happens to be named Wolverine. A fool and his money ...

For this to be a legitimate prototype, doesn't there have to be some connection here other than a name? A statement from Claremont or Trimpe? One of the creators would have mentioned this connection by now if there was any legitimacy to it. It's not the same artist, it's not a visual match (Superman and Spider-Man visually have more in common), it was simply a sketch sent in by a reader (probably a kid) who happened to use the name Wolverine.

As I said before, if the name is all that is important, there are some other prototypes waiting to be discovered.

Are we collectors so eager to give away our money that we are now going to look at simple coincidences and start assigning importance to them? (shrug)

+ 1

It could be said that the supporters of this book are suffering from an acute attack of a certain phenomenon...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

I believe the dissenters have already been accused of this? lol

There's a name, a visual connection, and the timing. If this was from a book from 1942 I wouldn't give it a moments thought but it is from precisely the time period you'd want to see.

I don't know if Id call it a prototype but it seems like more than coincidence on the balance of probabilities.

Wow eBay auction just ended for 133.50 for Foom #2. It's amazing what a conversation on an online message board will do for an item. :popcorn:

I know, its crazy, could probably sell and then buy back later when people wise up :insane:

I call dibs for having the first Wolverine white costume prototype.

The full version will happen within the next 20 years when Marvel decides to have Venom´s wife take over wolverine´s body to look for her lost loved husband creating havoc anywhere she goes and killing spider-man, again, in the process. (female symbiots are completely white, hence the costume.)

This will be known as the most famous and influential cross arcs in the history of comics.

:banana::banana:

Not planning on selling mine, but will consider minimum offers:

500USD + a mid grade hulk 181

Or

High grade FOOM 2

:popcorn:

LaMasa4-Capa_zps5fdfc6f3.jpg

There's a name, a visual connection, and the timing. If this was from a book from 1942 I wouldn't give it a moments thought but it is from precisely the time period you'd want to see.

I don't know if Id call it a prototype but it seems like more than coincidence on the balance of probabilities.

Didn't Man-Thing and Swamp Thing both come out within months of each other, by two writers living together in the same apartment, and neither knew of the other's book? That coincidence is easier to question than this.

I'll give you the name and the timing. There is no way that visual has anything even remotely do with the Wolverine we know, except that there are 2 arms, 2 legs, a head and a torso. lol

This is not a hard one to prove though. Some of the creators of Wolverine are still around. I'd be willing to wager not one of them will say this is a prototype for Wolverine.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

The picture does seem to depict a character named Wolverine, with metal insides, using a "healing factor" back to human, and does have some sharp looking fingers on that middle full sketch....

all sales discussion aside, just based on a historical trivia aspect:

Why is it not possible that somebody at Marvel saw this sketch and ran with it..?..

"Lets give him claws like a real Wolverine and make him all feral and animal looking. keep that name "wolverine" , the wierd healing factor thingy, and make just his bones metal! Now put him in an issue of hulk ASAP...!"

(shrug)

:idea:

The picture does seem to depict a character named Wolverine, with metal insides, using a "healing factor" back to human, and does have some sharp looking fingers on that middle full sketch....

all sales discussion aside, just based on a historical trivia aspect:

Why is it not possible that somebody at Marvel saw this sketch and ran with it..?..

"Lets give him claws like a real Wolverine and make him all feral and animal looking. keep that name "wolverine" , the wierd healing factor thingy, and make just his bones metal! Now put him in an issue of hulk ASAP...!"

(shrug)

:idea:

Of course that is very likely. However imagine how many people have a hulk 180 or 181 as opposed to how many have a foom 2....

then you will have an idea of the motive that the majority will have if they act in a self serving manner.

Tarzan..Kazar and a million other cases Marvel is the undisputed king of borrowing other peoples concepts and capitalizing on them. Sometimes improving them and making them more succesful with the Marvel promotional advantage.