• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Foom 2 a Prototype for Wolverine?

Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?

410 posts in this topic

Wow eBay auction just ended for 133.50 for Foom #2. It's amazing what a conversation on an online message board will do for an item. :popcorn:

But it's been said many times these boards have no impact on sales on E-Bay or elsewhere. :eyeroll:

This thread is a reaction to the more popular and more viewed Bleeding Cool article. That's where the fire is, this thread is just a little bit of the smoke.

The picture does seem to depict a character named Wolverine, with metal insides, using a "healing factor" back to human, and does have some sharp looking fingers on that middle full sketch....

all sales discussion aside, just based on a historical trivia aspect:

Why is it not possible that somebody at Marvel saw this sketch and ran with it..?..

"Lets give him claws like a real Wolverine and make him all feral and animal looking. keep that name "wolverine" , the wierd healing factor thingy, and make just his bones metal! Now put him in an issue of hulk ASAP...!"

(shrug)

:idea:

All I see is a robot man, but...

Wolverine didn't have a metal skeleton when he was introduced. That was added to the character later in the X-Men title.

Wow eBay auction just ended for 133.50 for Foom #2. It's amazing what a conversation on an online message board will do for an item. :popcorn:

But it's been said many times these boards have no impact on sales on E-Bay or elsewhere. :eyeroll:

This thread is a reaction to the more popular and more viewed Bleeding Cool article. That's where the fire is, this thread is just a little bit of the smoke.

Bleeding Cool boards pretty much suckle a*s.

As we all probably already know, the real prototype for Wolverine was Warhawk, as Claremont melded his characteristics into Wolverine throughout his years on X-Men.

Remember, Wolverine was originally intended to be a genetically-enhanced wolverine (the animal) wearing gloves with Adamantium claws attached.

The picture does seem to depict a character named Wolverine, with metal insides, using a "healing factor" back to human, and does have some sharp looking fingers on that middle full sketch....

all sales discussion aside, just based on a historical trivia aspect:

Why is it not possible that somebody at Marvel saw this sketch and ran with it..?..

"Lets give him claws like a real Wolverine and make him all feral and animal looking. keep that name "wolverine" , the wierd healing factor thingy, and make just his bones metal! Now put him in an issue of hulk ASAP...!"

(shrug)

:idea:

All I see is a robot man, but...

Wolverine didn't have a metal skeleton when he was introduced. That was added to the character later in the X-Men title.

So was the healing factor. Don't know exactly when those ideas were introduced. If he cuts himself every time he uses his claws, he had to heal fast or he'll bleed to death so they must come hand-in-hand.

So was the healing factor. Don't know exactly when those ideas were introduced. If he cuts himself every time he uses his claws, he had to heal fast or he'll bleed to death so they must come hand-in-hand.

The claws were retconned to being attached to his skeleton in X-Men 98 (that scene freaked me out as a kid, as I wondered how they didn't rip out after slicing through a Sentinel), his healing factor was first brought up in X-Men 116 (as well as alluding to his unbreakable skeleton) and his Adamantium skeleton was explained in X-Men 126.

What was to going rate for this book before all this recent prototype stuff came out? Not NM, just in the F to VF range?

BO $7.95 accepted on Dec. 15. Exactly a week befoe the Bleeding Cool article came out. Did the buyer somehow know? Original asking was $9.95.

www.ebay.com/itm/1973-FOOM-Marvel-Comics-Fan-Magazine-2-HULK-/281217308764?pt=US_Comic_Magazines&hash=item4179db985c

The claws were retconned to being attached to his skeleton in X-Men 98 (that scene freaked me out as a kid, as I wondered how they didn't rip out after slicing through a Sentinel), his healing factor was first brought up in X-Men 116 (as well as alluding to his unbreakable skeleton) and his Adamantium skeleton was explained in X-Men 126.

I'm quite impressed by your knowledge of these minutae! This is coming from an X-Men fan! All I remember about #98 is that it was the first Christmas story of the new team.

Yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that they broke the news and that news has been and is being viewed more there.

As we all probably already know, the real prototype for Wolverine was Warhawk, as Claremont melded his characteristics into Wolverine throughout his years on X-Men.

Remember, Wolverine was originally intended to be a genetically-enhanced wolverine (the animal) wearing gloves with Adamantium claws attached.

I had not heard that about Warhawk. Wasn't Warhawk introduced after Wolverine?

Was it something Claremont used prior to public introduction?

That's interesting, regardless.

Yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that they broke the news and that news has been and is being viewed more there.

Thumbs up to them for breaking it even though over there it's not clear on who should get the credit! 7 pages of comments there but 2 threads about Foom 2 here. I don't really care, what I do care about is that there are no copies of Foom 2 to be had anywhere and with Olsen coming out and speaking candidly about Wolverine and another creation of his making its way in Marvel comics it looks like Hulk 180 181 fans should be nervous ;)

Yes, he was in an early Marvel Premiere/Iron Fist (written by Claremont) but I am referring to the Wolverine we know and love today, not the cardboard cut-out, throwaway character of Hulk 181.

That final Wolverine character, which had been fully outlined by 1979 or so, was a direct result of Claremont transposing characteristics of others onto the rough Wolverine template, most notably Warhawk.

Yes, he was in an early Marvel Premiere/Iron Fist (written by Claremont) but I am referring to the Wolverine we know and love today, not the cardboard cut-out, throwaway character of Hulk 181.

That final Wolverine character, which had been fully outlined by 1979 or so, was a direct result of Claremont transposing characteristics of others onto the rough Wolverine template, most notably Warhawk.

That's what I was thinking to ask but didn't know how to put it. The real character came from Warhawk then. Ok.

That's what I was thinking to ask but didn't know how to put it. The real character came from Warhawk then. Ok.

Yep, Warhawk was a tough, mean ex-soldier with enhanced healing and reflexes, who underwent bizarre experiments to give him a steel- skeleton, and those same experiments screwed with his memory.

He's basically a rough Wolverine prototype without the claws (which the Wolverine template in Hulk 181 already had, albeit attached to gloves). The Warhawk template actually solved a lot of problems, and allowed Claremont to attach the claws to Wolverine's adamantium-enforced skeleton.

Thumbs up to them for breaking it even though over there it's not clear on who should get the credit! 7 pages of comments there but 2 threads about Foom 2 here. I don't really care, what I do care about is that there are no copies of Foom 2 to be had anywhere and with Olsen coming out and speaking candidly about Wolverine and another creation of his making its way in Marvel comics it looks like Hulk 180 181 fans should be nervous ;)

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read today since that last pressing thread. lol

-J.

Not really sure why you responded to my BC comments then.

Wait, you really believe that Foom2 is going to impact Hulk181 values or make even a single Hulk 181 fan nervous?

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read today since that last pressing thread. lol

-J.

See everytime I give him a little credit then he posts that above.

181 fans nervous. Really? lol