• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

Can't do Namor. They dont' have the rights. The rights for Namor are tied up between Marvel & Universal.

Is this still the case for sure? I thought I read about them reverting & then just checked wikipedia. According to them, the rights are with Marvel, but they're still working out odds and ends.

Borys Kit of The Hollywood Reporter stated in May 2014 that Marvel now has the rights for Namor. On June 3, 2014, Kit confirmed that Marvel, not Universal now has the Namor film rights. On July 18, 2014, Feige told IGN in an interview that the Namor film rights are not with Universal or Legendary Pictures, but he explained there are a number of contracts and deals that need to be sorted out.

As I said, they're a little tied up between Marvel & Universal. The odds & ends/nuts & bolts stuff is what is keeping it from being clear to the point of "we can just go make a movie & not worry about a lawsuit" type of clear.

A lot of people complain about Zack Snyder's Watchmen, but I thought it was one of the best looking classic superhero movies ever made.

For those who love the idea of real costumes and grand visions, it's a beautiful movie...

I just imagine, if DC said, here's the Fourth World.... make it work, what the director of 300, Watchmen, and Sucker Punch could do with all of that....

Suckerpunch might have looked ok but it was a HORRIBLE -script, and wasnt well directed either. The visuals were interesting, but nothing else about that movie would make me want to hand Snyder a property to go write a -script and create a world. He's better off letting someone else do that part (a'la watchmen)

I agree with that.

Marvel doing Guardians was a great clockblock to DC trying to do anything cosmic...

And yet, DC has the raw material for (potentially) the greatest cinematic "cosmic comic book" saga ever: Jack Kirby's "Fourth World".

Not that they wouldn't screw it up and release a bunch of homogenized, focused-group, CGI-bloated tat in the end. But the resources are there: big ideas, epic scope, iconic/archetypal heroes (and villains!), Blakean vision, Shakespearean pathos and intrigue. And ACTION, ACTION, ACTION!

Done right, it would destroy the competition, and make the "cosmic" GotG look like just another bog standard cartoon punch-up.

A lot of people complain about Zack Snyder's Watchmen, but I thought it was one of the best looking classic superhero movies ever made.

For those who love the idea of real costumes and grand visions, it's a beautiful movie...

I just imagine, if DC said, here's the Fourth World.... make it work, what the director of 300, Watchmen, and Sucker Punch could do with all of that....

I loved the Watchmen movie. I seen it 6 times. :cloud9:

I usually watch a movie only once or twice.

Snyder got talent.

It sure is. It's a work of art that is near flawless.

Except ruining the ending with the idiotic idea of making Dr. Manhattan the threat. Terrible idea. The entire idea of the squid was to make a common enemy for the world to rally around and unite. Dr. Manhattan was a US weapon. Just because he attacked NYC why would Russia want to unite with the US?

Except ruining the ending with the idiotic idea of making Dr. Manhattan the threat. Terrible idea. The entire idea of the squid was to make a common enemy for the world to rally around and unite. Dr. Manhattan was a US weapon. Just because he attacked NYC why would Russia want to unite with the US?

Because he would level the whole world and not just the US.

Hey, I liked it.

Why call it "Planet Zero" instead of the "Negative Zone?" I mean, really? What improvement does THAT change make that they just HAD to make it?

The Negative Zone is a fictional antimatter universe, so any name given to a planet in it isn't a renaming of the universe itself.

Why call it "Planet Zero" instead of the "Negative Zone?" I mean, really? What improvement does THAT change make that they just HAD to make it?

The Negative Zone is a fictional antimatter universe, so any name given to a planet in it isn't a renaming of the universe itself.

You're missing my point. Why change the reference at all?

Why change their origin so they get their powers from there in the FIRST place?

Why did they need to change it up?

It makes zero sense.

I didn't see any answers to my question from a few days ago.

Which parts of the FF movie come from the Ultimate series?

The Planet Zero origin?

Sue's adoption?

Doom's origin?

Doom's look?

I have zero problems with good, artistic changes to the old canon characters. I thought the Green Goblin's new take in Ultimate Spider-man was phenomenal and believable. A terrific contemporary change to the Spidey Universe even though I'm an old school Marvel fan.

Which of the FF movie points had their roots in the Ultimate series?

I didn't see any answers to my question from a few days ago.

Which parts of the FF movie come from the Ultimate series?

The Planet Zero origin?

Sue's adoption?

Doom's origin?

Doom's look?

I have zero problems with good, artistic changes to the old canon characters. I thought the Green Goblin's new take in Ultimate Spider-man was phenomenal and believable. A terrific contemporary change to the Spidey Universe even though I'm an old school Marvel fan.

Which of the FF movie points had their roots in the Ultimate series?

Only the origin from your list. Mark Millar noticed what any of us would have noticed when modernizing the origin that having Reed steal a rocket in an effort to beat the Soviets into space doesn't make sense today, so he ditched that. The Ultimate origin had the team as students at an advanced school along with Victor Van Damme. Sue and Johnny's dad had invented a portal to the Negative Zone, but before the kids went through it for the first time Victor monkeyed with it and they ended up getting mutated during the trip.

Except that when they were explaining it to the government they said it was an alternate universe to which they have started calling "Planet Zero".

You're missing my point. Why change the reference at all?

Why change their origin so they get their powers from there in the FIRST place?

Why did they need to change it up?

It makes zero sense.

Trank said in a Kevin Smith interview a few weeks ago that he didn't change the reference, he just left it out of the first film. He planned to call it the Negative Zone in sequels. I doubt more than 1 in 10 hardcore fans can even name any of the named planets from the Negative Zone in the comics, so adopting the NASA-like numbering sequence of "Planet Zero" for the first planet discovered there isn't much of a stretch.

The origin elements you're referring to were changed by Mark Millar in "Ultimate Fantastic Four" because very little of it made sense within a modern context. When Stan wrote the story in 1961, the Russians were planning that year to send the first human being into space, so the idea of Reed stealing the ship to beat them there was easy for audiences to identify with. Nobody knew what the effects of that would be, so Stan played upon what was in everyone's mind--how would space affect human beings? By the end of that same decade, it had become well-established that the latent radiation in space doesn't have much effect on humans.

Except that when they were explaining it to the government they said it was an alternate universe to which they have started calling "Planet Zero".

I haven't seen it, I've only heard Trank's claims about it in an interview. When they go through the portal, where do they end up? In space, from which they have to travel to a planet, or do they go through and walk right out onto another planet?

I haven't seen it, I've only heard Trank's claims about it in an interview. When they go through the portal, where do they end up? In space, from which they have to travel to a planet, or do they go through and walk right out onto another planet?

If I recall correctly, when they used the teleporter, it just teleported them right onto the planet. But Dr. Storm mentions early in the movie about an alternate universe just beyond our sight so I had figured they were ramping this up to be a parallel earth in the N-Zone. Also, the portal that goes between the worlds later transports them directly from Earths atmosphere to Planet Zeros atmosphere.

Edited by Chris_Skeleton

Again, none of that makes any sense. So what about the 1961 origin and the Soviets. Make the trip into space about something else...have Reed try and open up a wormhole or something else to try and get to the other side of the galaxy, then have some sort of radiation or stellar effect give them their powers. The Soviet thing is obvious, but it's also obvious how it can be tweaked to remain faithful to the original story and yet updated to something relevant. Hell, they can do it on any Star Trek TV show...why not for this story?

Could always do similar to what Warren Ellis did in Planetary with the Four (since they were obviously analogues for the FF) and make them run into something unexpected and get transported elsewhere, but then thrown back changed. There was a bit of a mystery as to what changed them in Planetary (but it was hinted to have been them running into a Boom Tube & ending up on an Apokalips-like planet, making a deal with a Darkseid-like entity & getting powers that way... could have skipped the obviously supervillain-esque part of that one tho) but it could apply as a modern incarnation.

Hell, they could have made them launch back in the 60's like in the comic so you don't even have to change their motivation, but whatever they flew thru that gives them powers, it tosses them out in present day. Not exactly ideal, but it could work.

OCD fans would complain just as much about these alternate versions of the origin as they have about the Negative Zone origin Millar wrote back in 2003, and both suggestions you guys just gave aren't really even that different from it.

The origin details from the 2005 film probably stays closest to the original by having a rare cosmic storm event occur coincidentally at the time of their spaceflight.