• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

Well, they're both at least a step up from

Sue not even being there yet still getting powers via magic plot-reasons explosion.

agreed, why couldnt they have switched Sue and Victor? Sue goes, Victor gets some residual blow back from the return explosion and gets some powers too along with some disfiguring injuries....

I know that ruins one of their plot lines of Doom being left behind and assumed dead, but that wasnt much of a lynchpin was it?

Heh. I can imagine the same discussions taking place if Tim Burton's idiotic Superman Lives actually got made. It's never a good thing when you disrespect the source material.

There's now a petition on change.org to demand Fox sell the movie rights back to Marvel. I'm not sure if I would sign it though as it requires your real name and address and I'm not keen on giving them that info.

the comments on there are hilarious

Adonis Betancourt HIALEAH, FL

Fox does not care about the fans of these beloved character. Money is there only interest.

Tony Soehner GOLDEN, CO

Fox is ruining marvel and I'm sick of those capitalist

These are the two pages from FF #1 that contain the origin. I see why Millar changed it; the details don't hold up in the post-space race modern era.

originffpg2.jpgoriginffpg.jpg

Those two pages from FF #1 are better than the whole Trank reboot!

Amazing Trank didn`t use Stan Lee and Jack Kirby`s blueprint.

With FF`s box office being a bomb and critics savaging it we will find that this taught them a lesson not to mess with our heroes. 2c

With FF`s box office being a bomb and critics savaging it we will find that this taught them a lesson not to mess with our heroes. 2c

this place is turning into the "get off my lawn" subforum faster and faster.

-space race with the russians? really?

-a plot where sue and johnny have ZERO reason for being there beyond "im your fiance" and "she's my sister"? super weak.

I WILL agree that with the privatization of space flight, there's an easy way still do the whole steal the spaceship and intercept some cosmic rays plot, and at least if that stays in line with Kirby's vision it might have settled down some people.

Yeah, seriously. You could film the first three issues of FF, set it as a period piece and print money.

And then encounter Namor in the 2nd sequel.

Doctor Doom in the 3rd sequel.

:cloud9:

The space race and the 'Commie scare' were real things, though.

That's what would make the time piece idea work so well - it had a basis in reality.

Sure, you'd have to rewrite some of the science to make it contemporary but I love this idea of making it a 1961 time piece and then moving the family into the future for future episodes.

-a plot where sue and johnny have ZERO reason for being there beyond "im your fiance" and "she's my sister"? super weak.

I WILL agree that with the privatization of space flight, there's an easy way still do the whole steal the spaceship and intercept some cosmic rays plot, and at least if that stays in line with Kirby's vision it might have settled down some people.

They could have made a 1960s period piece.

Not all heroes have to be eternally under 30.

OCD fans would complain just as much about these alternate versions of the origin as they have about the Negative Zone origin Millar wrote back in 2003, and both suggestions you guys just gave aren't really even that different from it.

The origin details from the 2005 film probably stays closest to the original by having a rare cosmic storm event occur coincidentally at the time of their spaceflight.

I don't have a problem with making small changes to the origin, but the idea of Dr. Doom, Reed and Johnny getting drunk and then calling up Ben (who's NOT drunk) and saying, "Hey come teleport with us to another dimension" while Sue is left out is.... not an improvement.

They could have made a 1960s period piece.

Not all heroes have to be eternally under 30.

I agree a period piece would have been awesome and X-men already proved it works when done well. They might have not wanted to go down that road a second time (for whatever reason)

but your point was that Trask should have used Kirby/Lee as a blueprint, and that ONLY works if it's set in the 60s...

I know it was real (I heard about it in my history class :insane:) , but if you are telling a modern tale it doesnt work.

I know it was real (I heard about it in my history class :insane:) , but if you are telling a modern tale it doesnt work.

Captain America set in 1940 worked, right?

That's what I meant by time piece. Set it back 60 years and film it like Mad Men (as I heard another boardie say in the WC).

That's what I meant by time piece. Set it back 60 years and film it like Mad Men (as I heard another boardie say in the WC).

we're on the same side of the table on this.

If Fox had decided to do a 60s version of the FF, they could have held more closely to the Lee/Kirby story and used it as a blueprint. I dont know if it would have been good, but it certainly would have been interesting.

Fox decided they wanted to be young and modern and threw it all out the window...

How Fox & Marvel Can Save The ‘Fantastic Four’

A direct Fantastic Four sequel in 2017 doesn’t fit; a crossover (anytime soon) with the X-Men doesn’t fit; and a quick reboot doesn’t fit either. Does Fox then sit for a while and try again to keep the rights? Perhaps. That’s how they’ve done it in the past but we’d like to think there’s an opportunity here for everyone to benefit. Fox flat out selling back the Fantastic Four rights back to Marvel or trading for merchandise or TV rights to the X-Men doesn’t seem too realistic, but perhaps they come up with another sort of deal similar to Sony’s. What if Fox and Marvel work together to relaunch the Fantastic Four? Hear us out.

Marvel’s plans for the next 4-5 years (known as Phase 3) do not leave much room for a Fantastic Four movie and even if they needed to shift dates around again like they did for Spider-Man, Marvel may not want to. And they don’t need the Fantastic Four themselves either. Instead, Reed Richards and his team could be introduced as supporting characters for use later. More importantly, and why Marvel really wants the property back, is to have access to the library of supporting characters. Dr. Doom is a key villain in many of Marvel’s largest crossover events, including what the last three years of Avengers stories in Marvel Comics have been building towards – the biggest event ever in Marvel known as the modern Secret Wars. Doom and (two versions of) Reed Richards are all central characters in these current events.

On top of that, it was widely publicized a few years ago when Fox’s hold on the Daredevil rights was expiring that Marvel reportedly tried to make a deal to let Fox keep Daredevil in exchange for the right to use a few supporting FF characters, namely Galactus and Silver Surfer. Fox said no. But since it’s possible Fantastic Four as a series is now dead before it even starts, maybe a deal can be made now. After all, if Fox isn’t going to use their Marvel cosmic characters, Marvel Studios certainly can. It might be the only way fans see them on the big screen and if Fox can’t get Fantastic Four right (and they couldn’t) and if they don’t work with Marvel (they haven’t been able to so far) then the real crime is preventing these stories and characters from being realized on screen.

we're on the same side of the table on this.

If Fox had decided to do a 60s version of the FF, they could have held more closely to the Lee/Kirby story and used it as a blueprint. I dont know if it would have been good, but it certainly would have been interesting.

Fox decided they wanted to be young and modern and threw it all out the window...

A period piece would be pretty cool. However, I think you can get very close to the real origin story today. Reed owns a private space flight company and on the maiden flight for passengers, he takes up his wife, brother-in-law and pilot best friend. Reed uses the flight to run one of his experiments, something happens, they get turned into the FF and the ship crashes to earth. Done. No need for everyone to be a genius and you still get Reed turning his friend into a monster.

Plus a period piece would cross over nicely with the X-Men 1st Class timeframe as well.

I've argued for years now that going the "period piece" route for many of these mid-20th century comic book characters has significant advantages over the "modernized/homogenized" approach.

In the right hands, it could yield a colorful, quirky, visually arresting, and unironically fun movie. And--if handled lightly and deftly--it could also evoke at least some of the cultural innocence of the era which produced the source material, and which made so many of us care about so much of it, even into adulthood, in the first place.

Think of it this way: "Romeo and Juliet" has been tweaked, re-imagined, and re-staged in hundreds of different ways. But are any of those productions really all that much better off for "modernizing" Shakespeare's language, and/or for NOT being set in Verona during the 15th century or so...?

hm