• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

I love the FF comics and want to give this movie a chance but Bleeding Cool review says:

1. Sue Storm is not American

2. The Thing did not get his powers from cosmic rays and does not wear pants.

Fox cannot even introduce the Black Panther, as Panther's rights are still with Marvel Studios. :popcorn:

at 7% do we really think it's going to make $100million domestic?. The international market is another thing (and that is somewhat of the problem) because they will eat up almost any big budget blockbuster. ($171 million for the Lone Ranger, $112 million for 47 Ronin and those are considered 2 of the worst box office bombs ever)

at 7% do we really think it's going to make $100million domestic?. The international market is another thing (and that is somewhat of the problem) because they will eat up almost any big budget blockbuster. ($171 million for the Lone Ranger, $112 million for 47 Ronin and those are considered 2 of the worst box office bombs ever)

to some degree, these things are review proof; people will pay to watch literally anything. $40MM, which would be terrible, still implies it would get to $100MMish. the "stock" is barely budging and it's still estimating $140MM (which should never happen in a world where Mad Max does $150MM and Ant-Man does $160MM)

:cry: where's Mick LaSalle from the SF Chronicle when you want him to write the review?

Edited by paperheart

Apparently she gets hit by some errant cosmic rays (or whatever) that come through the dimensional portal to the lab as an aftershock or some such.

What about the rumor that was posted earlier in the week from someone that saw the movie that The Thing only becomes rock-form when he is emotional?

I still feel bad posting spoilers before people have a chance to see it themselves (its why I didn't mention the fact that they made "It's Clobbering Time" something his abusive brother says, totally throws the movie off its track.

Apparently she gets hit by some errant cosmic rays (or whatever) that come through the dimensional portal to the lab as an aftershock or some such.

What about the rumor that was posted earlier in the week from someone that saw the movie that The Thing only becomes rock-form when he is emotional?

Sounds like EMO-Thing! :eek:

How is this "error-free"? I don't think Michael has ever read the f4 comics.

Is it a home run? No. But at this point, comic fans are just happy to see Fox play error-free ball with their Marvel adaptations, and "Fantastic Four" mostly qualifies.

Michael Ordoña

San Francisco Chronicle

How is this "error-free"? I don't think Michael has ever read the f4 comics.

Is it a home run? No. But at this point, comic fans are just happy to see Fox play error-free ball with their Marvel adaptations, and "Fantastic Four" mostly qualifies.

Michael Ordoña

San Francisco Chronicle

This guy made the top critic score higher than 0%.

Yes but not a good one lol

Please elaborate. I am not going to the movie but I want to know. Do spoilers even matter at this point?

Ok heres the deal. The four get drunk and get in their pods (Victor, Reed, Ben, and Johnny) They go to Planet Zero (lame). They have issues of course and return home. As the pods are returning home there are problems. Ben is pelted by rocks (and becomes The Thing) Johnny's pod catch on fire (and he becomes the Human torch) Reed is reaching for Doom (and becomes Elastic Man sorry Mr Fantastic) when the Pod returns it showers Sue in rays and she starts becoming invisible because.... reasons? Idk they never really explain any of it. It was kinda like "well the magical thing is also still contained near the pod so Sue was near it and she has powers too!"

From the (positive) SF Chronicle review -- says it's far better than the previous two FF films:

"Fans will be disappointed by the missed opportunity to establish continuity with Fox’s other super-properties (X-Men, Deadpool, etc.) — and no post-credits scene? But they’ll be happy to see the realistic, more grownup tone of the reboot. It goes a long way toward erasing the earlier two films, for which it deserves some credit."

Yeah -- I put a lot of weight on his review here because he's a fan who was rooting for this film.

And he knows his stuff -- went surprisingly in-depth with his comparison of this one vs. the Corman version.

He also notes the film could realistically hit its $45 million opening this weekend, go on to $100 million domestic & $200 international and then be in a weird space of $300 million take vs. its $120 million budget, which is good enough to not let the rights revert to Marvel but not necessarily good enough for a standalone sequel.

Wow. Some critic is actually comparing this 2015 film to the Corman one. I'm pulling for this movie to do less than $100 million domestic. That would really stop Fox from green lighting another one I would think.

Yeah -- I put a lot of weight on his review here because he's a fan who was rooting for this film.

And he knows his stuff -- went surprisingly in-depth with his comparison of this one vs. the Corman version.

He also notes the film could realistically hit its $45 million opening this weekend, go on to $100 million domestic & $200 international and then be in a weird space of $300 million take vs. its $120 million budget, which is good enough to not let the rights revert to Marvel but not necessarily good enough for a standalone sequel.

Wow. Some critic is actually comparing this 2015 film to the Corman one. I'm pulling for this movie to do less than $100 million domestic. That would really stop Fox from green lighting another one I would think.

To be fair, Mendelson compares this FF film to all of the previous iterations.

I included the line you highlighted mainly to show how much of a comic movie nerd the guy is -- he not only has seen all four big-screen FF versions, but can cogently compare and contrast the character representations, relative acting & plots of all of them.

Don't know if he is expressly a comic book nerd or reader, but he _really_ does his homework on film history & context.

His criticism of ASM 2 for _not_ changing the Gwen Stacey death from ASM 121 is also really well-written & worth a read. It makes strong points about what makes a good comic vs. a good movie & the dearth of strong three-dimensional female leads in comic book movies.