• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

I bought it on a 'blind buy' myself. I find it's only watchable in pieces, like those 2nd unit sequences in the some of the more blander Roger Moore Bond films of the late 70's in the early 80's. Compared to Batman & Robin, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, The Spirit, Jonah Hex, RIPD, Catwoman and other terrible downright funnybook movies, ASM 2 is a two star movie. Since I don't base any judgement on negative boardies who base their opinions on box-office mojo or Hollywood gossip, I'll take the high road on voicing an opinion on FF before I view it myself. One of my top 100 favorites of all-time was the "mega-dud" movie The 13th Warrior, which always had packed showings, yet only lasted two weeks. :shrug: Another "comic-book"-type dud (critical-financial) I enjoyed from Fox, was Ravenous too.

Love that movie!

:cloud9:

The 13th Warrior was great!!

The part before the big end fight where they are all saying the Viking prayer is epic!

From the dozens of reviews I've read, this is a solid FF film up to the last third.

So when it's a movie about normal people it's good, but when they... become superheroes it goes bad? How is that, in ANY way acceptable as a superhero movie?

To me, that sounds like... FOX got it wrong. Which is what many have been saying....

I bought it on a 'blind buy' myself. I find it's only watchable in pieces, like those 2nd unit sequences in the some of the more blander Roger Moore Bond films of the late 70's in the early 80's. Compared to Batman & Robin, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, The Spirit, Jonah Hex, RIPD, Catwoman and other terrible downright funnybook movies, ASM 2 is a two star movie. Since I don't base any judgement on negative boardies who base their opinions on box-office mojo or Hollywood gossip, I'll take the high road on voicing an opinion on FF before I view it myself. One of my top 100 favorites of all-time was the "mega-dud" movie The 13th Warrior, which always had packed showings, yet only lasted two weeks. :shrug: Another "comic-book"-type dud (critical-financial) I enjoyed from Fox, was Ravenous too.

Love that movie!

:cloud9:

The 13th Warrior was great!!

The part before the big end fight where they are all saying the Viking prayer is epic!

And you end up seeing many of these actors in Thor and other Viking-based productions. Even Thor's uncle and grandfather in The Dark World are 13th Warriors.

:whee:

Holy :censored:! I didn't know that. That's awesome.

One of my happiest theater experiences is seeing this movie with a Titanic sized audience on it's opening weekend. Everyone was reacting to it in awe. I even went to it again.

I genuinely thought it was gonna have a $30 million opening weekend for an r-rated film.

Jerry Goldsmith's First Blood-type musical score was my favorite in this too. When they snuck up to the caves and stormed inside, I was on the edge of my seat.

I'm a pretty big guy and I'm always calling my smaller co-worker "little brother" when he struggles trying to lift something to keep up with me.

great movie.

Holy :censored:! I didn't know that. That's awesome.

One of my happiest theater experiences is seeing this movie with a Titanic sized audience on it's opening weekend. Everyone was reacting to it in awe. I even went to it again.

I genuinely thought it was gonna have a $30 million opening weekend for an r-rated film.

Vladimir Kulich would have made a great Thor in his younger days at 6'5" tall. He was fantastic as Buliwyf. He's also in the movie 'Ironclad' with Kate Mara and James Purefoy.

So the kids decided they wanted to go to the Drive-In tonight. Of course what was playing, FF and Vacation. So we went. (I'm giving Fox the money that Chuck G. refuses to give. Three of the five people hadn't seen FF yet, and afterwards everyone was in agreeance that it was very good. An 11 year old girl, a 13 year old girl and woman in her 30's. They really, really liked it. It being my second time in as many days, enjoyed it even more so the second time around. The story between Reed and Ben, and especially Reed and Victor was so well done. Victor and Reed, even though rivals, had become best of friends. Just like I always pictured it was in the Jack and Stan days, until the fateful event. I felt both their pain. I'm sticking by my statement that it was a very good movie. I know it doesn't stand a chance with all the negativity surrounding it but it's not fair to pile on before you see it. See it for yourself and make at least an informed decision before piling on.

Jim

I agree completely. My wife really enjoyed the film and made the comment that it was way better than the 'silly' earlier movies.

So the kids decided they wanted to go to the Drive-In tonight. Of course what was playing, FF and Vacation. So we went. (I'm giving Fox the money that Chuck G. refuses to give. Three of the five people hadn't seen FF yet, and afterwards everyone was in agreeance that it was very good. An 11 year old girl, a 13 year old girl and woman in her 30's. They really, really liked it. It being my second time in as many days, enjoyed it even more so the second time around. The story between Reed and Ben, and especially Reed and Victor was so well done. Victor and Reed, even though rivals, had become best of friends. Just like I always pictured it was in the Jack and Stan days, until the fateful event. I felt both their pain. I'm sticking by my statement that it was a very good movie. I know it doesn't stand a chance with all the negativity surrounding it but it's not fair to pile on before you see it. See it for yourself and make at least an informed decision before piling on.

Jim

I agree completely. My wife really enjoyed the film and made the comment that it was way better than the 'silly' earlier movies.

My wife likes Twilight and Beyoncé.

Just because our wives or kids like something doesn`t mean we as adult males will enjoy it.

Different perspectives for all.

With that being said

I`m going to see this tonight with my 18 year old nephew and his ex-jock father.

I`ll get three reviews to post here after 11.pm est.

The 18 year old is a comic geek, while his father thinks super hero movies are lame.

Will see what the consensus is tonight.

So yeah I saw this yesterday.

I actually quite liked it. It's hard to explain why tbh, but I did.

I think the biggest problem people have with it is that it's not a super hero in the sense of the MCU and I do agree with that. It's just pretty much an origin film about some kids who gain powers... And well, that's it. The fight with Doom lasts about three minutes (well maybe a bit longer but that's what it felt like) so that was an anticlimax.

A few things were weird and made no sense, like how did Sue even get her powers? Where did Doom get his cloak from? The government spends like a year searching for Reed and can't find him - Sue tracks him down in literally 15 seconds. The Thing spends a year pretty much just killing people. Doom's powers seem to consist of anything and everything from flight to telekinesis to just being able to murder people by looking at them which he does to loads of people yet when confronted with the Fantastic Four he just decides to throw rocks at them.

The effects were quite poor by today's standards as well, Reed stretching was particularly cringe inducing.

But yeah, it's not a great film by any standards but it's not as annoyingly craptacular as IM3 or 2.

Jim

Just because our wives or kids like something doesn`t mean we as adult males will enjoy it.

With that being said

I`m going to see this tonight with my 18 year old nephew and his ex-jock father.

The 18 year old is a comic geek, while his father thinks super hero movies are lame.

I think that Jim's comments speak more to what he enjoyed about the film rather than noting that the people he went with enjoyed it as well. Saying that my wife enjoyed it certainly did not mean to imply that that informed my decision/enjoyment. I would have thought that obvious.

Jim

With that being said

I think that Jim's comments speak more to what he enjoyed about the film rather than noting that the people he went with enjoyed it as well. Saying that my wife enjoyed it certainly did not mean to imply that that informed my decision/enjoyment. I would have thought that obvious.

I know some husbands/boyfriends who try to pull off,well my wife/girlfriend liked it, so it must be intelligent or hip!

You know the type.

;)

Hence, why I used Twilight as an example.

My wife loves it, but I think it sucks.

Variety is reporting a "tanked" Friday box office and saying it may not even cross 30 million with a shot of MI5 (which doubled ff's Thursday box office) being number 1 again.

So, opening weekend predictions?

I say it has an opening weekend between 24-36 million. With a 40 to 60 percent drop off the next week.

I say $40-45 million opening weekend.

+ 1

BOO-YAH! Looks like I was spot on with my prediction! :acclaim:

I am more astonished that there are still drive In movie theaters... the last drive in movie theater anywhere near me closed in 1998.

Where was there a Drive In in Manhattan? lol

Jim and I both live in two (different) very rural areas so they are still out there.

I say it has an opening weekend between 24-36 million. With a 40 to 60 percent drop off the next week.

+ 1

Is it Sunday already? I need to get ready for a business trip.

:ohnoez:

+ 1

Is it Sunday already? I need to get ready for a business trip.

:ohnoez:

Estimates don't look good, buddy. :baiting:

http://pro.boxoffice.com

Wow! Revised estimates say this won't even clear 30 million.

Talk about an epic disaster.