• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

There's an old school theater near me that usually only plays the big box office hits on the big screen during opening weekend. They have smaller theaters off to the sides. Earlier in the week, Fantastic Four was on the big screen. They must have switched because when I checked today they were showing MI instead.

So, opening weekend predictions?

I say it has an opening weekend between 24-36 million. With a 40 to 60 percent drop off the next week.

I say $40-45 million opening weekend.

+ 1

BOO-YAH! Looks like I was spot on with my prediction! :acclaim:

I underestimated the god awful reviews the film is getting from fans and critics.

So the kids decided they wanted to go to the Drive-In tonight. Of course what was playing, FF and Vacation. So we went. (I'm giving Fox the money that Chuck G. refuses to give. Three of the five people hadn't seen FF yet, and afterwards everyone was in agreeance that it was very good. An 11 year old girl, a 13 year old girl and woman in her 30's. They really, really liked it. It being my second time in as many days, enjoyed it even more so the second time around. The story between Reed and Ben, and especially Reed and Victor was so well done. Victor and Reed, even though rivals, had become best of friends. Just like I always pictured it was in the Jack and Stan days, until the fateful event. I felt both their pain. I'm sticking by my statement that it was a very good movie. I know it doesn't stand a chance with all the negativity surrounding it but it's not fair to pile on before you see it. See it for yourself and make at least an informed decision before piling on.

Jim

I agree completely. My wife really enjoyed the film and made the comment that it was way better than the 'silly' earlier movies.

My wife likes Twilight and Beyoncé.

Just because our wives or kids like something doesn`t mean we as adult males will enjoy it.

Different perspectives for all.

With that being said

I`m going to see this tonight with my 18 year old nephew and his ex-jock father.

I`ll get three reviews to post here after 11.pm est.

The 18 year old is a comic geek, while his father thinks super hero movies are lame.

Will see what the consensus is tonight.

I think that Jim's comments speak more to what he enjoyed about the film rather than noting that the people he went with enjoyed it as well. Saying that my wife enjoyed it certainly did not mean to imply that that informed my decision/enjoyment. I would have thought that obvious.

I know some husbands/boyfriends who try to pull off,well my wife/girlfriend liked it, so it must be intelligent or hip!

You know the type.

;)

Hence, why I used Twilight as an example.

My wife loves it, but I think it sucks.

Bought a girl's beloved Blu Ray collection (all five-four being director's cuts) at a yard sale for $5 (she also let go her exclusive 3-disc Target versions too in the deal). I couldn't stand New Moon and never went past that one, but I think Anna Kendrick is a goddess (Ashley Greene too), so I figured when I got snowed in this winter and was desperate for "new" programming in NH. lol

Holy :censored:! I didn't know that. That's awesome.

One of my happiest theater experiences is seeing this movie with a Titanic sized audience on it's opening weekend. Everyone was reacting to it in awe. I even went to it again.

I genuinely thought it was gonna have a $30 million opening weekend for an r-rated film.

Vladimir Kulich would have made a great Thor in his younger days at 6'5" tall. He was fantastic as Buliwyf. He's also in the movie 'Ironclad' with Kate Mara and James Purefoy.

He had so much dignity in that role. He could have easily overplayed it. It definitely was a generous ensemble that elevated it. Also kudos to Antonio Banderas for not obstructing his cast member's big heroic moments. Wow, it's great to hear others talking about how much they enjoyed this underrated film. I felt it's marketing campaign really killed it at the time.

The 13th Warrior is just an amazing film.

I usually don't like deconstructed myths, but this one is so well done, as is the novel by Crichton.

I need to see this now. hm

I usually don't like deconstructed myths, but this one is so well done, as is the novel by Crichton.

Nope you need to see the Fantastic Four (2015) first instead of continually bashing on a film you have never seen.

You've never seen it?

You're in for a treat because it's great!

I agree that a young Vladimir Kulich would have made an incredible Thor

You've never seen it?

One of the few movies I also purchased the soundtrack. And it was worth it!

His Thor would have been legendary.

I did notice something interesting on Rotten Tomatoes. Although it only has a 9% rating from the critics, 28 % of the people who saw it, liked it.

I often find I like movies that have those kinds of ratings. I'm not looking for Citizen Kane from these guys, just something entertaining.

I did notice something interesting on Rotten Tomatoes. Although it only has a 9% rating from the critics, 28 % of the people who saw it, liked it.

I often find I like movies that have those kinds of ratings. I'm not looking for Citizen Kane from these guys, just something entertaining.

Audiences aren't as discerning as critics, to be sure, but that is still awfully, awfully low for an audience rating. If the audience isn't at least fifty to sixty percent, I can guarantee I will hate a movie.

Nope you need to see the Fantastic Four (2015) first instead of continually bashing on a film you have never seen.

You gonna pay for my ticket? :baiting:

The only thing good that came out of FF is Silver Surfer. :eek:

edit: And Dr. Doom forgot about him

I agree with this...almost.

I would put it this way: the parts that sucked LEAST about FF were the Surfer and Doom. However, considering how cool the source material for those two are, I would say their movie versions could have been infinitely better, and squandered two of the best characters they had. So much potential utterly wasted...and don't get me started on the fart-cloud that was Galactus!

In a perfect world, Doom jumps ship to the good Marvel cinematic universe, portrayed by Peter Stormare...

Edited by Mackenzie999

Audiences aren't as discerning as critics, to be sure, but that is still awfully, awfully low for an audience rating. If the audience isn't at least fifty to sixty percent, I can guarantee I will hate a movie.

Just Compare the audience rating between F4 and Transformers 4!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fantastic_four_2015/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_age_of_extinction/

:o

I will....if you go see it and totally hate it, I will PayPal you $10 to offset your ticket. That's how much I believe that this movie doesn't suck. I'm not even an FF guy.

Jim

You've never seen it?

One of the few movies I also purchased the soundtrack. And it was worth it!

His Thor would have been legendary.

Watched the last 50 minutes Monday with the sound cranked all the way up. It was a brilliant score indeed. (worship)

I will....if you go see it and totally hate it, I will PayPal you $10 to offset your ticket. That's how much I believe that this movie doesn't suck. I'm not even an FF guy.

Jim

:o

Do it big brother.

Fantastic Four's Other Fantastical Adaptations

1) Fred and Barney Meet the Thing: The Thing briefly starred in a 1979 NBC cartoon, which greatly changed his origin and background. Instead of an astronaut pilot turned orange rock monster, Ben Grimm was now Benjy Grimm, a dorky teenager attending Centerville High School. Grimm possessed two magic rings that, when touched, transformed him into the Thing, complete with Brooklyn accent.

2) The New Fantastic Four: Another ill-conceived cartoon, the New Fantastic Four starred Mr. Fantastic, the Invisible Woman, the Thing and…HERBIE, a robot sidekick who replaced the Human Torch. Although many believed that NBC replaced the Human Torch so children wouldn’t play with fire, the network actually couldn’t use the character because a rival studio was developing a live action TV show based on Johnny Storm.

3) The Fantastic Four Radio Program: While Chris Evans and Michael B. Jordan were both serviceable Human Torches, the greatest actor to play Johnny Storm is famed comedian and actor Bill Murray. Murray played the Human Torch in a radio program adapting early Silver Age adventures of the Fantastic Four that ran in 1975. The radio program used dialogue pulled straight from the comics, and Stan Lee himself provided the narration.

4) Fantastic Four - The World’s Greatest Heroes: The Fantastic Four’s last cartoon was an anime inspired series that ran on the Cartoon Network in 2005. Combining anime-esque art with 3D animation, the series used story elements from the recently-released Fantastic Four movie, including Doctor Doom's shared origin with the Fantastic Four. Despite the show's stocked cast of Marvel heroes and villains, Cartoon Network lost faith in the series pretty quickly and pulled the show after only eight episodes.