• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

Dear Mark Millar. Please fix this.

H9qAfdb.png

Two big-budget attempts have had minor to absolute middling results. I don't see anymore attempts to reboot this series now, unless they team with a group (Fox's X-men). Does Disney own the TV rights? I could see a TV series then, it's what should be on instead of AoS.

After seeing Daredevil, I'm coming to the opinion that all of Marvel's works would/could be better realized as TV series, with appropriate budgets for the effects and other production values.

It fits their episodic long story telling format much better.

Movies will never capture the books as well.

.... it would also serve to spread out the action and effects to make them less forced and gratuitous. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Okay, I might be in the minority, but it wasn't that bad. I would watch it again before some other Marvel films(IM3, Wolverine, DOFP). I just wish someone would read the first ten issues before they pizz away millions of dollars. Also, enuff Doom till they get it right. I realize most of today's movie goers have no concept of Marvel history, but come on. I think only Sandman was probably the truest of baddies.

Why isn't Ben a test pilot or something? With all the private companies vying for space exploration, why didn't they have an experimental ship? So, the kid from a rough life in a junk yard gets turned into a Thing of rocks. Talk about being kicked while you're down. And, who wrote the lines about Johnny "having a hard time growing up"? They should be fired. Good thing he wasn't the white, blonde and blue eyed adopted daughter of a black family. That was a cakewalk! Did I mention Doom in the Negative Zone?

I would watch it again before DOFP.

Delete your account and be on your way. Horrible. :)

I know, "thems is fight'n words", but I had to actually go back and re-read my back issues to make sure I had the right books. :D

DOFP was not 100% true to the source material...more a very loose adaptation...but I found it very enjoyable to watch regardless. Aside from not following the books, what didn't you like about it?

I didn't like the morphing Super Sentinels and them somehow crossing Mystique's DNA with robotics. Because...science? Never made sense to me how injecting the DNA of a mutant who can look like other people but not use their powers suddenly makes a robot able to copy a mutant's powers and exploit weaknesses.

Didn't like Fox's continued over-reliance on Wolverine. Nothing wrong with sending Kitty Pryde back in time rather than Wolverine. Establish some new characters and some new heroes and you don't have to recast Wolverine or pay Jackman tons of money.

In regards to the future Sentinels, I somewhat agree with you. You say you don't like the studios reliance on Jackman as Wolverine. I feel they did the same with Jennifer Lawerence as Mystique. They really amped up her importance in the movie seemingly because she's a hot property in Hollywood right now.

There are several other mutants in the Marvel Universe that would have been better suited to use to adapt the sentinels...even some in the X-Men movie universe. Darwin would have been perfect, though he didn't make it out of First Class. Rogue would also make more sense than Mystique as Rogue can actually borrow powers and not just change form.

I see your point about the studio relying on Jackman, but it doesn't bother me. I like Jackman as Wolverine and like it or not, he's a big reason the X-Men movie franchise is what it is today. Also, subbing out Kitty for Wolverine made for a few moments in the movie that were fun and/or dramatic. To each his own.

At this rate, they'd do better to pull the movie from theaters, sell the rights to put it on Netflix or Amazon or Hulu or whatever & get at least some return that way rather than the value get further diluted by all the torrent downloads that will cut into views on Netflix or whatever.

At least they can point to the torrents to show demand to drive up the rights fees a little above normal prices & try to make some of the money back that way.

Kate Mara Still Hasn't Seen Josh Trank's Fantastic Four

Like many of you, Kate Mara (House of Cards, The Martian) is "a little bit gun-shy" about seeing Josh Trank's Fantastic Four because of the harsh reviews. In her case, it is a bit odd as she stars in the film as Sue Storm/The Invisible Woman, but she insisted to British newspaper The Times (via nzherald) that she "will eventually" get around to seeing it.

Last month, EW reported that Trank was anywhere from "cold to cruel" to Mara during filming because he was upset that Fox chose her for the role despite his "strong opposition." Mara wasn't asked about that, but she did say she had a "good time" making the film despite numerous issues on set. She says her fellow cast members "had each other's backs" and its that camaraderie "that makes me most bummed because we have no idea if we'll ever make another one."

Like many of you, Kate Mara (House of Cards, The Martian) is "a little bit gun-shy" about seeing Josh Trank's Fantastic Four because of the harsh reviews. In her case, it is a bit odd as she stars in the film as Sue Storm/The Invisible Woman, but she insisted to British newspaper The Times (via nzherald) that she "will eventually" get around to seeing it.

Last month, EW reported that Trank was anywhere from "cold to cruel" to Mara during filming because he was upset that Fox chose her for the role despite his "strong opposition." Mara wasn't asked about that, but she did say she had a "good time" making the film despite numerous issues on set. She says her fellow cast members "had each other's backs" and its that camaraderie "that makes me most bummed because we have no idea if we'll ever make another one."

They could always seek out another lower budget ensemble project to star in, it doesn't have to be a funnybook movie. Actually, it would be an interesting project if they did, an anti-Hollywood one. Critics would probably eat it up.

Can't blame her for not seeing the movie yet.

I wouldn't want to see a crappy movie I was in either lol

Can't blame her for not seeing the movie yet.

I wouldn't want to see a crappy movie I was in either lol

There has to be a cast commentary on the Blu Ray :taptaptap:

I would love to hear their thoughts of this production.

Might watch a Kate movie this week. Seen Shooter a little while ago, so I might re-watch the James Franco "major oops!" movie 127 Hours. hm

How much could Fox realistically expect to earn in DVD/Blu-Ray sales and first-run TV rights? Could this thing actually break even?

No chance, thanks to marketing. Marketing is never reflected in the budget numbers, and for a big film like this you can expect it matches or exceeeds the budget.

I figure this thing will piggy back the other Fantastic Four movies and possibly be added into a potential FOX X-Men/FF Blu Ray box set also. This licensed property will be added to every superhero endcap or display for years to come. Don't need much promotion for that, even Waterworld eventually made a profit, eventually. Just takes a bit.

...and I'm only talking about the dvd/Blu Ray format.

How much could Fox realistically expect to earn in DVD/Blu-Ray sales and first-run TV rights? Could this thing actually break even?

No chance, thanks to marketing. Marketing is never reflected in the budget numbers, and for a big film like this you can expect it matches or exceeeds the budget.

I figure this thing will piggy back the other Fantastic Four movies and possibly be added into a potential FOX X-Men/FF Blu Ray box set also. This licensed property will be added to every superhero endcap or display for years to come. Don't need much promotion for that, even Waterworld eventually made a profit, eventually. Just takes a bit.

...and I'm only talking about the dvd/Blu Ray format.

'

True... but remember optical drive media is dying compared to iTunes/Netflix/etc

Eh, until all of the DVD/Blu-Ray extras start showing up as part of the iTunes Extras content, there'll still be a market for optical media. Apple is pretty stingy on the extras. And Netflix has basically none.