• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

I saw it on a plane ride a few days ago. Nowhere near as bad as it was made to be. Clearly some editing/reshoots changed the original direction. Not terrible, not great. 2 stars out of 4

You may be in too much of a festive holiday mood…please ease up on the Egg Nog...

I saw it on a plane ride a few days ago. Nowhere near as bad as it was made to be. Clearly some editing/reshoots changed the original direction. Not terrible, not great. 2 stars out of 4

You may be in too much of a festive holiday mood…please ease up on the Egg Nog...

I actually prefer it to either of the first 2 FF movies, so I think his review isn't that off. That said Doctor Doom was horrid.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens doubled FF's entire domestic gross on opening day.

Sad when you think at one time between 1961 to about 1995 the Fantastic Four were players.

They slipped badly. They are having a bad transition to modern audiences.

We can`t just say it`s Fox`s fault because their latest Planet of the Apes and X-Men franchises have hit home runs with the modern audience.

It might take years for the FF franchise to rebound.

Anybody have any suggestions to make FF relevant again? hm

Sad when you think at one time between 1961 to about 1995 the Fantastic Four were players.

We can`t just say it`s Fox`s fault because their latest Planet of the Apes and X-Men franchises have hit home runs with the modern audience.

Give it to Marvel?

Honestly you could do almost anything to it and it would be better. Get Uwe Boll or Tommy Wiseau to direct and it will be phenomenal.

Go back to the original comics, use those stories, and just update the plots for the modern age. Start the movie on Monster Island with the Mole Man as a contemporary eco terrorist, then show a bit of the origin story where the four of them are 'borrowing' the space ship for a trip to Mars before it goes horribly wrong, then bring in Dr Doom as fully formed character (his origin would be in the sequel) out for revenge on Reed Richards. Have one of those extra scenes after the credits that reveal that the Skrulls are already on earth and planning an invasion. In the sequel Doom and the FF team-up to defeat the Skrulls.

Do FF 100% CGI. Cartoony like Incredibles or photorealistic like some of that Final Fantasy eyecandy.

A stretchy-guy is always going to seem silly in the real world. But animation done exceptionally well, the FF could own that space. While everyone else is zigging, zag.

Go back to the original comics, use those stories, and just update the plots for the modern age. Start the movie on Monster Island with the Mole Man as a contemporary eco terrorist, then show a bit of the origin story where the four of them are 'borrowing' the space ship for a trip to Mars before it goes horribly wrong, then bring in Dr Doom as fully formed character (his origin would be in the sequel) out for revenge on Reed Richards. Have one of those extra scenes after the credits that reveal that the Skrulls are already on earth and planning an invasion. In the sequel Doom and the FF team-up to defeat the Skrulls.

:cloud9:

Although they could start off with a period piece like X-Men: First Class. That movie was great!

Do FF 100% CGI. Cartoony like Incredibles or photorealistic like some of that Final Fantasy eyecandy.

A stretchy-guy is always going to seem silly in the real world. But animation done exceptionally well, the FF could own that space. While everyone else is zigging, zag.

Animated, but in Brad Bird-like hands. There have been a few animated TV shows with the Fantastic Four, and you can see how in the wrong hands it doesn't go over so well.

I like the portrayal here.

Not so much on this one.

Animated, but in Brad Bird-like hands. There have been a few animated TV shows with the Fantastic Four, and you can see how in the wrong hands it doesn't go over so well.
For film I think they need to go photorealistic, cutting edge groundbreaking. A techno excellence wonder-to-behold jawdropper. Something that makes headlines technologically and gets butts in seats.

Make it epic, galactic, pack it with that Jack Kirby cosmic chariots-of-the-gods stuff. Use the core material and blow people's minds with the grand-fantasy of it all. What it's meant to be. Surfer, Galactus, Skrulls, Doom, worlds, dimensions, POWER, spectacle. All of it.

Put the "Fantastic" back in FF. Where anyone with a single geek-cell in their body has to go see for themselves.

For film I think they would need to go photorealistic, cutting edge groundbreaking techno excellence wonder-to-behold jawdropper. Something that makes headlines technologically and gets butts in seats.

Make it epic, galactic, pack it with that Jack Kirby cosmic chariots-of-the-gods stuff. Use the core material and blow people's minds with the grand-fantasy of it all. What it's meant to be. Surfer, Galactus, Skrulls, Doom, worlds, dimensions, POWER, spectacle. All of it.

Put the "Fantastic" back in FF. Where anyone with a single geek-cell in their body has to go see for themselves.

Totally agree!

:wishluck:

Yes. Re release Chronicle and photoshop everyone's faces into FF characters.

For film I think they need to go photorealistic, cutting edge groundbreaking. A techno excellence wonder-to-behold jawdropper. Something that makes headlines technologically and gets butts in seats.

Make Christopher Nolan want to do it. He's spectacular at working with a large ensemble cast. He can be the 'Neal Adams' of the FF movie world and resurrect a dying franchise.

Sell it to Disney at a premium and lets get on with it. Is the issue that Fox refuses to sell or that Disney won't pay their asking price?

A poorly handled negotiation between the two companies.

Though after seeing the Netflix Daredevil series, I am glad that part of the story turned out great.

Not Chris Nolan. He will suck the humor, color and fun out of any FF film in an effort to make it realistic. FF is one franchise that needs lots of humor, color and fun for it to click on all cylinders. It really needs to look on the big screen like you're opening the pages of an early FF.

It needs a really good director who understands the Lee-Kirby dynamic. And it needs a studio that truly wants to produce a really good, fun superhero movie. James Gunn would be the perfect director. Marvel would be the perfect studio.

I suspect we will see a FF revival in the early 2020s with the rights hopefully migrating to Disney/Marvel. Disney is going to need a fresh franchise to plumb because audiences will be fatigued with Avengers, GOTG and the stand-alone heroes in 7 to 8 years' time. Fingers crossed.

Not Chris Nolan. He will suck the humor, color and fun out of any FF film in an effort to make it realistic. FF is one franchise that needs lots of humor, color and fun for it to click on all cylinders. It really needs to look on the big screen like you're opening the pages of an early FF.

It needs a really good director who understands the Lee-Kirby dynamic. And it needs a studio that truly wants to produce a really good, fun superhero movie. James Gunn would be the perfect director. Marvel would be the perfect studio.

I suspect we will see a FF revival in the early 2020s with the rights hopefully migrating to Disney/Marvel. Disney is going to need a fresh franchise to plumb because audiences will be fatigued with Avengers, GOTG and the stand-alone heroes in 7 to 8 years' time. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, good point. I think Nolan is terrific at making an epic ensemble movie but you're right on the humor dynamic. Come to think of it, Guardians was a perfect FF movie. I'm surprised I didn't realize that. hm

I'd agree with that timeline. There's no way Fox ever pulls it off at this point.