• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

Not Chris Nolan. He will suck the humor, color and fun out of any FF film in an effort to make it realistic. FF is one franchise that needs lots of humor, color and fun for it to click on all cylinders. It really needs to look on the big screen like you're opening the pages of an early FF.

It needs a really good director who understands the Lee-Kirby dynamic. And it needs a studio that truly wants to produce a really good, fun superhero movie. James Gunn would be the perfect director. Marvel would be the perfect studio.

I suspect we will see a FF revival in the early 2020s with the rights hopefully migrating to Disney/Marvel. Disney is going to need a fresh franchise to plumb because audiences will be fatigued with Avengers, GOTG and the stand-alone heroes in 7 to 8 years' time. Fingers crossed.

I'd agree with that timeline. There's no way Fox ever pulls it off at this point.

The Fantastic Four revival can`t be too long,as time will have not only aged them, but their potential audience.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Lone Ranger are perfect examples of this. Once top franchises that because of the long wait they have become unknown to the modern mainstream audience.

In other words they waited to long to revive them. Most of their core audience is aging or has passed on. This leaves the modern mainstream audience wondering what all the fuss was about which leads to either bad or mediocre box office.

The Fantastic Four franchise is starting to get to that stage of aging.

I would expect though the Fantastic Four movie rights will be fought over ferociously over these next few years because it is a potential goldmine with Galactus and the Silver Surfer.

Those two characters might be what saves and makes the future Fantastic Four movies relevant.

Not Chris Nolan. He will suck the humor, color and fun out of any FF film in an effort to make it realistic. FF is one franchise that needs lots of humor, color and fun for it to click on all cylinders. It really needs to look on the big screen like you're opening the pages of an early FF.

It needs a really good director who understands the Lee-Kirby dynamic. And it needs a studio that truly wants to produce a really good, fun superhero movie. James Gunn would be the perfect director. Marvel would be the perfect studio.

I suspect we will see a FF revival in the early 2020s with the rights hopefully migrating to Disney/Marvel. Disney is going to need a fresh franchise to plumb because audiences will be fatigued with Avengers, GOTG and the stand-alone heroes in 7 to 8 years' time. Fingers crossed.

I'd agree with that timeline. There's no way Fox ever pulls it off at this point.

The Fantastic Four revival can`t be too long,as time will have not only aged them, but their potential audience.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Lone Ranger are perfect examples of this. Once top franchises that because of the long wait they have become unknown to the modern mainstream audience.

In other words they waited to long to revive them. Most of their core audience is aging or has passed on. This leaves the modern mainstream audience wondering what all the fuss was about which leads to either bad or mediocre box office.

I would expect though the Fantastic Four movie rights will be fought over ferociously over these next few years because it is a potential goldmine with Galactus and the Silver Surfer.

Those two characters might be what saves and makes the future Fantastic Four movies relevant.

Yes, and no. Hollywood is tired. Every other movie is a re-boot of something that worked in the past. Good thing about the FF, is that it hasn't caught on. The FF need to go off planet. Negative Zone for some Annihilus fun, or the Blue Zone on the Moon. With private companies in the space race now, it's plausible for the original story of a stolen spaceship. And for crying out loud, don't mainstream the characters. Yes, it's un-PC, but leave the diversity to the X-men and Avengers. They have a bigger pool to draw from. There's only four in this story.

I watched it two nights ago. I thought it had promise showing them as kids in the garage. Once they fast forwarded it 7 years it turned into a disaster. I thought the first one sucked big time. This one was even worse.

Period piece like "Mad Men"

Galactus trilogy set in the 60's as it was originally written.

Get everything right, hair, clothes, cars, etc... all 60's

And then here comes ultra technologically advanced Galactus and the Silver Surfer.

I think that a period piece would be beyond cool, and just the thing for a fresh, successful reboot

Period piece like "Mad Men"

Galactus trilogy set in the 60's as it was originally written.

Get everything right, hair, clothes, cars, etc... all 60's

And then here comes ultra technologically advanced Galactus and the Silver Surfer.

I think that a period piece would be beyond cool, and just the thing for a fresh, successful reboot

I really like this concept. It's been done right for the X-franchise, and it worked.

:wishluck:

I fear the FF may have missed their moment to become relevant to younger audiences. The fans are getting older and the younger generation has had nothing to draw them in. It's hard to imagine even Marvel spending a big budget on a new FF film - should they ever get the rights back - given that they seem to being doing just fine without them. If there is any fight for the rights it is solely for supporting cast - Doom, Surfer etc.

I don't say this to be callous. I am a big fan of the FF, they are the heart of my comic book collection. It just doesn't seem to be in the cards for them given the track record so far. I don't want to say it can't happen but it does seem unlikely.

Some of the scenarios sound cool. I like the idea of a period piece. I also think it would be cool to do some animated films. For those of us who can appreciate the potential it seems a such a waste.

On the flip side - I still have the books regardless of what happens in another medium.

I fear the FF may have missed their moment to become relevant to younger audiences. The fans are getting older and the younger generation has had nothing to draw them in. It's hard to imagine even Marvel spending a big budget on a new FF film - should they ever get the rights back - given that they seem to being doing just fine without them. If there is any fight for the rights it is solely for supporting cast - Doom, Surfer etc.

I don't say this to be callous. I am a big fan of the FF, they are the heart of my comic book collection. It just doesn't seem to be in the cards for them given the track record so far. I don't want to say it can't happen but it does seem unlikely.

Some of the scenarios sound cool. I like the idea of a period piece. I also think it would be cool to do some animated films. For those of us who can appreciate the potential it seems a such a waste.

On the flip side - I still have the books regardless of what happens in another medium.

That`s how I am with Tracy,the Phantom,Flash Gordon,The Shadow and Doc Savage. I have the book collections,even if time has passed them by with modern movie audiences, (thumbs u

GOTG ("who?") is the ultimate proof that you can attract new, younger audiences that don't know the underlying "C" and even "D" characters in a team of superheroes as long as you've got a good director and a fresh, original story with well-casted characters. I'm not concerned that the several thousand fanboys (including me) that "grew up" with the spinner rack version of the FF are aging out. The FF universe is so amazing, vibrant and full of freshness that it just takes a committed studio (NOT Fox) and a serious director that is not going to screw around with the almost perfect source material. Three characters alone that are tied to the FF virtually assure some type of FF movie reboot -- or maybe TV series hm : Subby, Galactus, and the Surfer. (Like the Green Goblin who has his two bites at the apple, Dr.Doom, I fear, is done and over with for a long time.) I have faith the franchise will come back to Marvel. The waiting will suck.

I watched it two nights ago. I thought it had promise showing them as kids in the garage. Once they fast forwarded it 7 years it turned into a disaster. I thought the first one sucked big time. This one was even worse.

This! I am watching it right now for the first time. During the first 20 minutes, I was like hey, this isn't so bad. Then it got bad.... I am already looking at the clock hoping it will be over soon so I can watch Antman.

Just re-watched Age Of Ultron. The only difference between these films is that I had such hope for AoU. I came into FF with much lower expectations. Neither film was really that good. The dialogue alone was painful in both. Also, the disappointment of the villains was similar.

So I watched this film last night.

It wasn't that bad I didn't think. It was definitely a new look at how to define the FF. I didn't mind the origin while a little hokey it didn't kill the movie for me.

Where I thought they went wrong was how the involved the Thing. It was pieced together wrong I thought. (You don't just call him in the middle of the night after a year and tell him to show up.) I think if they movie would have stopped or developed more before Doom showing up it might have been better film.

Kate Mara was a terrible choice for Sue I thought compared the rest of the actors. Or just didn't show any type of enthusiasm for the part at all. I like the other 3 actors. They didn't overdue their parts.

Doom's character wasn't fleshed out enough, but I guess they had to cut somewhere.

The CGI effects were cheap and inconsistence in several parts. I think Fox really screwed this personally and the director seem to indicate this as well. They could have had a small beginning to a new FF with some younger kids and go in a different direction. I think at the last minute Fox panicked and started to change things.

Kate Mara was a terrible choice for Sue I thought compared the rest of the actors. Or just didn't show any type of enthusiasm for the part at all. I like the other 3 actors. They didn't overdue their parts.
Maybe she had too many films she was doing on her plate during filming (The Martian, Captive, etc). (shrug)

Doesn't seem like her.

Fantastic Four, the superhero movie everyone loves to hate, has been nominated in five categories for the 36th Annual Golden Raspberry Awards.

The Golden Raspberry Awards, better known as the Razzies, is the annual event where Golden Rasperry Award Foundation recognizes what they consider to be the worst in film.

Judy and I just finished it (Netflix)...... it had areas that showed potential for me, but in the end the movie as a whole seemed more like a rough draft that ended too suddenly. The battle with Doom on Planet Zero was quick and hollow..... so much more could have been done with that. Personally, I liked Doom and the cast of the FF seemed invested in what they were doing.... the movie just needed another 30 minutes spread into the characters adjustment to their powers and to more "personality" to the CGI in the alien environment.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Judy and I just finished it (Netflix)...... it had areas that showed potential for me, but in the end the movie as a whole seemed more like a rough draft that ended too suddenly. The battle with Doom on Planet Zero was quick and hollow..... so much more could have been done with that. Personally, I liked Doom and the cast of the FF seemed invested in what they were doing.... the movie just needed another 30 minutes spread into the characters adjustment to their powers and to more "personality" to the CGI in the alien environment.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:o Didn't know it was already on Netflix. IDC I'm gonna watch it again. (thumbs u