• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

It's interesting in looking up the history of review embargoes, and if they are always honored. The last big blowup over such things was "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" where a reviewer broke the embargo.

Sony Furious Over New Yorker’s Plan to Break ‘Dragon Tattoo’ Review Embargo

That embargo was set for December 13, 2011, with the film having a December 20 release date. That type of embargo has a long history with good films; Avatar's embargo ended a week before release as well. The history of release-day-only or the-day-before-release-day-only is almost universally isolated to bombs. That's particularly true when the embargo gets set within a month or so of the release date, because it usually means the studio ran some screenings and got a lot of negative feedback.

Having said all that, Universal just did this with Jurassic World, so maybe there's new thinking behind it. (shrug)

I'm hoping it is more about the early negative reaction from hardcore F4 fans than it is the content being weak. I could see the studio getting nervous over the hardcore attendees saying something negative even if the movie was decent, and posting otherwise.

With the studio being a little flexible, and adjusting the embargo by a day, I wonder if that is a decent sign, At least, I hope so. If it was going to be that bad an experience, wouldn't they have stuck with the day of?

I'm hoping it is more about the early negative reaction from hardcore F4 fans than it is the content being weak. I could see the studio getting nervous over the hardcore attendees saying something negative even if the movie was decent, and posting otherwise.

With the studio being a little flexible, and adjusting the embargo by a day, I wonder if that is a decent sign, At least, I hope so. If it was going to be that bad an experience, wouldn't they have stuck with the day of?

"Red: Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane."

"Red: Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane."

Max in Fury Road: You know, hope is a mistake. If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane.

:cry:

This is a studio that does not believe in the movie.

They are hedging.

They feel the right play is to hope that fanboys who are loyal to the brand will show up before the word gets out that the movie is a dud

vs

the hope that the reviews will be good (they're already aware they won't be) and it'll get more people who are on the fence to improve their opening weekend.

IF the movie was great, or even half way decent... they'd get those reviews out there NOW, so that they could shut up the naysayers and get people on the fence to decide to go.

They DO NOT have a product they believe in.

This thread in comparison to the infinity bore thread really makes me wonder why people defend one vs the other

In that thread folks defend How we should be happy comic movies are being made etc

Why don't they come in and defend this movie hm

Been listening to part two of Kevin Smith's podcast interview with Josh Trank since it came out Wednesday. I'm not finished with it yet, but while smart and creative, Trank strikes me as egocentric enough to be someone who is probably difficult to work with. His comments about dropping out of the Star Wars spinoff he was set to direct because he would rather work with original characters jibes with that. Given that he made that Star Wars comment after finishing most of his work on Fantastic Four and given all the comments he's made where he clearly didn't understand the FF characters or simply didn't like the versions established in the comics, his expressed reason for quitting Star Wars coupled with the embargo and the fact that Fox is already looking for another Fantastic Four director doesn't speak well towards this film. :eek: At this point, I will be shocked--relieved and pleased as well, but definitely shocked--if this film reviews well.

The link to the latest Kevin Smith interview with Trank is below. Has anybody seen Chronicle and liked it? I think I need to see that...the reviews on it look pretty good.

http://smodcast.com/episodes/josh-trank-too/

Chronicle was good. I seen it twice. Put it in the Kick- 1 movie category.

Back to Josh Trank now. It`s a huge red flag when the Star Wars guys parted with him. A huge Red Flag.

Who would turn down Star Wars after being hired for it?

Maybe Trank tried to change Star Wars like he did FF,but the Star Wars guys told him to take a hike?

hm

The real reason was that Trank was pushing for Michael B. Jordan to play a young Han Solo.

Been listening to part two of Kevin Smith's podcast interview with Josh Trank since it came out Wednesday. I'm not finished with it yet, but while smart and creative, Trank strikes me as egocentric enough to be someone who is probably difficult to work with. His comments about dropping out of the Star Wars spinoff he was set to direct because he would rather work with original characters jibes with that. Given that he made that Star Wars comment after finishing most of his work on Fantastic Four and given all the comments he's made where he clearly didn't understand the FF characters or simply didn't like the versions established in the comics, his expressed reason for quitting Star Wars coupled with the embargo and the fact that Fox is already looking for another Fantastic Four director doesn't speak well towards this film. :eek: At this point, I will be shocked--relieved and pleased as well, but definitely shocked--if this film reviews well.

The link to the latest Kevin Smith interview with Trank is below. Has anybody seen Chronicle and liked it? I think I need to see that...the reviews on it look pretty good.

Back to Josh Trank now. It`s a huge red flag when the Star Wars guys parted with him. A huge Red Flag.

Maybe Trank tried to change Star Wars like he did FF,but the Star Wars guys told him to take a hike?

hm

The real reason was that Trank was pushing for Michael B. Jordan to play a young Han Solo.

or an older Princess Leia

hm

or an older Princess Leia

That wouldn't surprise me. :roflmao:

Fantastic Four Cast Want Silver Surfer And Namor In Sequels

So, Bell wants to see the good guys interact and become a tight knit team, but what about villains? You can't have a good super hero film without a good villain and for Bell, the villain he wants to see in a Fantastic Four sequel is the Silver Surfer. "You can't get away from Silver Surfer. I know chronologically speaking that was the next villain in the previous franchise but I think Silver Surfer is cool looking," Bell said. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, was the 2007 sequel in the less-then-critically-acclaimed Fantastic Four pair of films which starred Doug Jones as the titular Silver Surfer.

Jordan, who Flames On as the Human Torch throughout the upcoming film, has a different opinion and he feels pretty strongly about it. "Namor is a cool one," Jordan said, adding he is, "by far, he's the strongest mutant. You know what I'm saying? Maybe not by far, but he's the strongest mutant. It would be a pretty interesting battle, the Fantastic Four vs. Namor."

Fantastic Four Cast Want Silver Surfer And Namor In Sequels

So, Bell wants to see the good guys interact and become a tight knit team, but what about villains? You can't have a good super hero film without a good villain and for Bell, the villain he wants to see in a Fantastic Four sequel is the Silver Surfer. "You can't get away from Silver Surfer. I know chronologically speaking that was the next villain in the previous franchise but I think Silver Surfer is cool looking," Bell said. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, was the 2007 sequel in the less-then-critically-acclaimed Fantastic Four pair of films which starred Doug Jones as the titular Silver Surfer.

Jordan, who Flames On as the Human Torch throughout the upcoming film, has a different opinion and he feels pretty strongly about it. "Namor is a cool one," Jordan said, adding he is, "by far, he's the strongest mutant. You know what I'm saying? Maybe not by far, but he's the strongest mutant. It would be a pretty interesting battle, the Fantastic Four vs. Namor."

:facepalm:

I really don't understand this love affair with Michael B. Jordan as an actor.

He was decent on The Wire. Beyond that, I'm not too sure...

He will be Apollo Creed's son. That's pretty cool. (shrug)