• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

If I have to see reed vault that stupid railing one more time I'm going to scream.

Is that the one and only scene they have of him stretching?

Makes you wonder. hm

Fantastic Four Soundtrack Details Released

20th Century Fox's Fantastic Four reboot, directed by Josh Trank (Chronicle), will be officially released soon which means it is time to find out if the film's soundtrack is worthy of Marvel's first superhero team. The score was composed by Marco Beltrami (The Wolverine, World War Z) and Philip Glass (The Hours, Candyman) and features a bonus track from hip-hop recording artist El-P.

1. Fantastic Four Prelude

2. The Garage

3. The Unveiling

4. Baxter

5. “All My Faith”

6. The Lab

7. Meeting of the Minds

8. It Begins

9. Building the Future

10. Launch One

11. Neil Armstrong

12. Maiden Voyage

13. Footprints

14. “Run”

15. Ben’s Drop

16. Real World Applications

17. Under Pressure

18. The Search

19. “You’re Going to Like This One”

20. Father and Son

21. Return

22. He’s Awake

23. Pursuit

24. Strength in Numbers

25. End Titles

26. Another Body (Digital Bonus Track)

27. Extra bonus track (I Hear Ya Hating Ya F4 Haters)

:ohnoez:

Been listening to part two of Kevin Smith's podcast interview with Josh Trank since it came out Wednesday. I'm not finished with it yet, but while smart and creative, Trank strikes me as egocentric enough to be someone who is probably difficult to work with. His comments about dropping out of the Star Wars spinoff he was set to direct because he would rather work with original characters jibes with that. Given that he made that Star Wars comment after finishing most of his work on Fantastic Four and given all the comments he's made where he clearly didn't understand the FF characters or simply didn't like the versions established in the comics, his expressed reason for quitting Star Wars coupled with the embargo and the fact that Fox is already looking for another Fantastic Four director doesn't speak well towards this film. :eek: At this point, I will be shocked--relieved and pleased as well, but definitely shocked--if this film reviews well.

The link to the latest Kevin Smith interview with Trank is below. Has anybody seen Chronicle and liked it? I think I need to see that...the reviews on it look pretty good.

http://smodcast.com/episodes/josh-trank-too/

I'm listening to it right now. Hate to say it, but he seems like too much of a "filmmaker" to take on the FF. As much as I can appreciate someone taking an artistic, stylistic view of the world, when it comes to comic book movies I want a good popcorn flick that I don't have to think too hard about.

The original X-Men flick was a good example of giving the audience the progressive social undertones inherent in the mutant struggle without beating the viewer over the head with it. It at the same time had great action and characters (argue about the costumes later) that kept the audience hooked.

A note on review embargoes--they are, in general, a rarity, because when a studio thinks critics will like a film, they always want early reviews to build more buzz to get a big opening weekend. Having said that, there's a very recent film that had a review embargo that did monumentally well--Jurassic World. The embargo on that didn't lift until Wednesday of its release week, which is now the same day the FF embargo will lift. I remember thinking "uh-oh" when no reviews were in by Monday and Tuesday of Jurassic World's release week, and being very surprised and relieved when they came in and were so positive. :)

August 5th, 4 PM6 PM PST: Review embargo ends

August 6th: early Fantastic Four screening

August 7th: official Fantastic Four release

y4dT1vk.png

Edited by Bosco685

The original X-Men flick was a good example of giving the audience the progressive social undertones inherent in the mutant struggle without beating the viewer over the head with it. It at the same time had great action and characters (argue about the costumes later) that kept the audience hooked.

Yeah, its always a fine line. I really liked the original X-men. It was early in the special effects revolution, so it couldn't just wow us with those (see IM 3). It needed a decent story, and it delivered. I love the scene at the beginning setting up Magneto's motivations. They made him a three dimensional character, and it made the movie much better.

Been listening to part two of Kevin Smith's podcast interview with Josh Trank since it came out Wednesday. I'm not finished with it yet, but while smart and creative, Trank strikes me as egocentric enough to be someone who is probably difficult to work with. His comments about dropping out of the Star Wars spinoff he was set to direct because he would rather work with original characters jibes with that. Given that he made that Star Wars comment after finishing most of his work on Fantastic Four and given all the comments he's made where he clearly didn't understand the FF characters or simply didn't like the versions established in the comics, his expressed reason for quitting Star Wars coupled with the embargo and the fact that Fox is already looking for another Fantastic Four director doesn't speak well towards this film. :eek: At this point, I will be shocked--relieved and pleased as well, but definitely shocked--if this film reviews well.

The link to the latest Kevin Smith interview with Trank is below. Has anybody seen Chronicle and liked it? I think I need to see that...the reviews on it look pretty good.

http://smodcast.com/episodes/josh-trank-too/

Chronicle was good. I seen it twice. Put it in the Kick- 1 movie category.

Back to Josh Trank now. It`s a huge red flag when the Star Wars guys parted with him. A huge Red Flag.

Who would turn down Star Wars after being hired for it?

Maybe Trank tried to change Star Wars like he did FF,but the Star Wars guys told him to take a hike?

hm

Yeah, its always a fine line. I really liked the original X-men. It was early in the special effects revolution, so it couldn't just wow us with those (see IM 3). It needed a decent story, and it delivered. I love the scene at the beginning setting up Magneto's motivations. They made him a three dimensional character, and it made the movie much better.

Trank talked about X-Men in this week's interview with Kevin Smith. He was describing how the original Spider-Man worked so well because the character is so similar to other characters that Sam Raimi has done, and that the X-Men worked so well for Bryan Singer because they're subject to the same type of social repression that gay people (like Singer) are. Trank then pointed out that he bonded in a similar way with the FF characters. Guess we'll see...

The official story is that he chose to leave, and his own statement was that he left to do original characters. The rumor is that Disney kicked him due to problems they heard about while he was doing Fantastic Four and they allowed him to say he resigned to save face either for himself or for Fox's film since news of a firing would hurt the Fantastic Four box office. I don't know which is true, but it is surprising that he suddenly decided he wanted to do original characters after agreeing to do Star Wars. Maybe it's true, and he was so sick of people complaining about his changes to Fantastic Four that he did decide he didn't want to live up to existing expectations from fans anymore...certainly the criticism for him has been intense for most of the shoot.

Back to Josh Trank now. It`s a huge red flag when the Star Wars guys parted with him. A huge Red Flag.

Maybe Trank tried to change Star Wars like he did FF,but the Star Wars guys told him to take a hike?

hm

Regardless of the official spin, I believe the Deadline article that says Trank was fired from the new Star Wars film due to his "erratic" behavior on FF.

It claimed that FF writer/producer Simon Kinberg basically had to step in to save the FF film during editing, and then warned Kathleen Kennedy at Disney not to rely on this guy for a Star Wars anthology film (which Kinberg is also writing & producing).

It's bad news when the screenwriter (who has a proven record of success & thus, clout) revolts against the director.

Either way, I won't blame Trank for the writing or "changes" to the FF, as Kinberg is a solid writer, as is Mark Millar -- if anything, it was their decision to go the Ultimate FF route, not Trank's.

It's interesting in looking up the history of review embargoes, and if they are always honored. The last big blowup over such things was "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" where a reviewer broke the embargo.

Sony Furious Over New Yorker’s Plan to Break ‘Dragon Tattoo’ Review Embargo

That embargo was set for December 13, 2011, with the film having a December 20 release date. That type of embargo has a long history with good films; Avatar's embargo ended a week before release as well. The history of release-day-only or the-day-before-release-day-only is almost universally isolated to bombs. That's particularly true when the embargo gets set within a month or so of the release date, because it usually means the studio ran some screenings and got a lot of negative feedback.

Having said all that, Universal just did this with Jurassic World, so maybe there's new thinking behind it. (shrug)