• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Complete list of comic book live movies, TV shows, streaming
1 1

235 posts in this topic

I was debating whether the "Asterix" films would qualify, however since "Tin Tin" and "Dick Tracy and Flash Gordon have got guernseys, why not:

"Asterix and Obelisk Take on Caesar" - 1999

"Asterix and Obelisk: Mission Cleopatra" - 2002

"Asterix at the Olympic Games" - 2008

"Asterix and Obelisk: God Save Britannia" - 2012

These are the live action offerings, usually with Gerard Depardieu.

Wow! Good catch. I had no idea.

Various motion pictures based upon the series have been made.

• Two Romans in Gaul, 1967, live-action, in which Asterix and Obelix appear in a cameo.
  • Asterix the Gaul, 1967, animated, based on the book Asterix the Gaul.
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle, 1967, animated, based upon the comic book
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle, incomplete and never released.
  • Asterix and Cleopatra, 1968, animated, based on the book Asterix and Cleopatra.
  • The Dogmatix Movie, 1973, animated, a unique story based on Dogmatix and his animal friends, Albert Uderzo created a comic version of the never release movie in 2003.
  • The Twelve Tasks of Asterix, 1976, animated, a unique story not based on an existing comic.
  • Asterix Versus Caesar, 1985, animated, based on both Asterix the Legionary and Asterix the Gladiator.
  • Asterix in Britain, 1986, animated, based upon the book Asterix in Britain.
  • Asterix and the Big Fight, 1989, animated, based on both Asterix and the Big Fight and Asterix and the Soothsayer.
  • Asterix Conquers America, 1994, animated, loosely based upon the comic Asterix and the Great Crossing.
  • Asterix and Obelix take on Caesar, 1999, live-action, based primarily upon Asterix the Gaul, Asterix and the Soothsayer, Asterix and the Goths, Asterix the Legionary, and Asterix the Gladiator.
  • Asterix and Obelix: Mission Cleopatra, 2002, live-action, based upon the comic book Asterix and Cleopatra.
  • Asterix and Obelix in Spain, 2004, live-action, based upon the comic book Asterix in Spain, incomplete and never released because Asterix and the Vikings was in production as the first Asterix cartoon since Asterix conquers America.
  • Asterix and the Vikings, 2006, animated, loosely based upon the comic book Asterix and the Normans.
  • Asterix at the Olympic Games, 2008, live-action, loosely based upon the comic book Asterix at the Olympic Games.
  • Asterix and Obelix: God Save Britannia, 2012, live-action, loosely based upon the book Asterix in Britain and will be first Asterix movie in stereoscopy 3D
  • Asterix: The Land of Gods, 2014 (latest), animated, loosely based upon the comic book The Mansions of the Gods and will be the first animated Asterix movie in stereoscopy 3D.

Just to be consistent, I'll stick to the live movies. Thank you for the education.

With John Carter, its influence didn't come from the comic books, but rather from the original source material.

It is based on A Princess of Mars, the first book in the Barsoom series of novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

This is a very slippery slope as it would be very difficult to prove the movie was not based more on the later comics adaptations with the changes as it is very loosely adapted from the book.

Unfortunately this would also lead to not including series like Buffy, Angel, the Phantom, and others due to the comic being adapted directly from a TV series/book and not the other way around. Are comics being the original source material a hard rule?

The list might be easier to maintain and add to if it was broken down by year, here is a website that includes comic book movies/series/serials by year with distributor.

CLICK ME

Tales From The Crypt :headbang:

Another good catch!

• Tales from the Crypt (1972)
  • Tales from the Crypt II (1973)
  • Tales from the Crypt TV series (1989-1996)
  • Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995)
  • Tales from the Crypt Presents: Bordello of Blood (1996)
  • Tales From the Crypt Presents: Ritual (2001)

But the three "Tales from...." movies would be a challenge.

Two films by Universal Studios, Demon Knight (1995) and Bordello of Blood (1996), were based on the series, neither of which was particularly successful. A third film, Ritual, was slated for theatrical release in 2001, but was only distributed internationally (without the Tales from the Crypt connection) until 2006 when it was released on DVD in the United States, with the Cryptkeeper bits restored. Unlike the 1970s-era Amicus films, these three films were not based on stories from any of the EC comics.

With John Carter, its influence didn't come from the comic books, but rather from the original source material.

It is based on A Princess of Mars, the first book in the Barsoom series of novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

This is a very slippery slope as it would be very difficult to prove the movie was not based more on the later comics adaptations with the changes as it is very loosely adapted from the book.

Unfortunately this would also lead to not including series like Buffy, Angel, the Phantom, and others due to the comic being adapted directly from a TV series/book and not the other way around. Are comics being the original source material a hard rule?

The list might be easier to maintain and add to if it was broken down by year, here is a website that includes comic book movies/series/serials by year with distributor.

CLICK ME

I understand completely where you are coming from. Conan is a good example where the movies came out while Marvel was publishing the comic books. But when I read the history of how the Conan movies came about, it appears Oliver Stone rejected the comic-based -script and went with his own. Then later, Milius tore apart Stone's version and kept only certain parts.

While on the other hand, Red Sonja was based on the Marvel Comics character which was influenced by Robert E. Howard's Red Sonya of Rogatino from the "The Shadow of the Vulture" short story.

But I can add John Carter, Tarzan and others that were a combination of novels, comic books and films if everyone wants that. No worries at all.

CLICK ME

I understand completely where you are coming from. Conan is a good example where the movies came out while Marvel was publishing the comic books. But when I read the history of how the Conan movies came about, it appears Oliver Stone rejected the comic-based -script and went with his own. Then later, Milius tore apart Stone's version and kept only certain parts.

While on the other hand, Red Sonja was based on the Marvel Comics character which was influenced by Robert E. Howard's Red Sonya of Rogatino from the "The Shadow of the Vulture" short story.

But I can add John Carter, Tarzan and others that were a combination of novels, comic books and films if everyone wants that. No worries at all.

that'd be a different list of comics based on books/tv/film

American Splendor

Heavy Metal

Fritz The Cat

Good catches! I'm surprised nobody mentioned Dark Horse Comics movie.

• Dr. Giggles (1992)
  • TimeCop/Time Cop (1994)
  • Timecop TV series (1997-1998)
  • Mystery Men (1999)
  • Virus (1999)
  • Timecop 2: The Berlin Decision (2003)
  • The B.P.R.D. Declassified TV special (2004)
  • Son of the Mask (2005)
  • El Zombo Fantasma (2010) (NEED TO CONFIRM THIS ONE)
  • Beasts of Burden (2013) (NEED TO CONFIRM THIS ONE)
  • Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014)

Overall I think loosening the terminology to "inspiration" instead of "source material" would more reflect a full list as even series like B:TVS, the Phantom, and Conan began to cross influence once comics were published.

my two pennies.

Mutant X - TV show

What a backstory!

In 2001, 20th Century Fox sued Marvel, Tribute Entertainment, and Fireworks Entertainment for breach of their licensing agreement and false advertisement. Fox stated it had exclusive rights from Marvel to develop the X-Men property, and anything similar was an infringement. Fox claimed that Mutant X was too similar to X-Men, and Mutant X was being advertised as an "X-Men replacement."

Marvel counter-sued Fox, saying that the two were dissimilar and asking the courts to allow Mutant X production to go forward. Production was allowed, as long as X-Men material was not used in the promotion of Mutant X. Apparently, the title "Mutant X" itself was deemed too close to "X-Men" to be effectively leveraged.

In 2003, Fox and Marvel resolved their differences in a confidential settlement of their suits. Meanwhile, Fox continued to pursue their case against Tribune and Fireworks. Tribune sued Marvel for fraud and breach of contract, claiming Marvel encouraged Tribune to connect Mutant X to the X-Men, misrepresented what they were getting in their license, and caused millions in losses due to the need to alter story lines and characters to ensure the mandated distance between Mutant X and X-Men, as well as fighting Fox's litigation.

Tales From The Crypt :headbang:

Another good catch!

• Tales from the Crypt (1972)
  • Tales from the Crypt II (1973)
  • Tales from the Crypt TV series (1989-1996)
  • Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995)
  • Tales from the Crypt Presents: Bordello of Blood (1996)
  • Tales From the Crypt Presents: Ritual (2001)

But the three "Tales from...." movies would be a challenge.

Two films by Universal Studios, Demon Knight (1995) and Bordello of Blood (1996), were based on the series, neither of which was particularly successful. A third film, Ritual, was slated for theatrical release in 2001, but was only distributed internationally (without the Tales from the Crypt connection) until 2006 when it was released on DVD in the United States, with the Cryptkeeper bits restored. Unlike the 1970s-era Amicus films, these three films were not based on stories from any of the EC comics.

TV series counts though, right? :baiting:

WOW!

MOVIES:

- 2 Guns (2013)

- 30 Days of Night (2007)

- 300 (2007)

- 47 Ronin (2013)

- A History of Violence (2005)

- Adventures of Captain Marvel (1941): 12-chapter serial

- Alien vs Predator (2004)

- Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)

- Amazing Spider-Man, The (2012)

- Amazing Spider-Man, The 2 (2014)

- American Splendor (2003)

- Asterix and Obelisk Take on Caesar (1999)

- Asterix and Obelisk: Mission Cleopatra (2002)

- Asterix at the Olympic Games (2008)

- Asterix and Obelisk: God Save Britannia (2012)

- Avengers, The (2012)

- Barb Wire (1996)

- Batman (1943): 15-chapter serial

- Batman (1966)

- Batman (1989)

- Batman and Robin (1949): 15-chapter serial

- Batman Returns (1992)

- Batman Forever (1995)

- Batman & Robin (1997)

- Batman Begins (2005)

- Blackhawk (1952): 15-chapter serial

- Blade (1998)

- Blade II (2002)

- Blade: Trinity (2004)

- Bulletproof Monk (2003)

- Bullet to the Head (2013)

- Captain America (1944): 15-chapter serial

- Captain America (1990): Released direct-to-video 1992

- Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

- Catwoman (2004)

- Constantine (2005)

- Cowboys and Aliens (2011)

- Crow, The (1994)

- Crow: City of Angels, The (1996)

- Crow: Salvation, The (2000)

- Crow: Wicked Prayer, The (2005)

- Daredevil (2003)

- Dark Knight, The (2008)

- Dark Knight Rises, The (2012)

- Dick Tracy (1990)

- Dr. Giggles (1992)

- Dredd (2012)

- Elektra (2005)

- Fantastic Four, The (1994)

- Fantastic Four (2005)

- Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)

- Flash Gordon (1936): 13-chapter serial

- Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars (1938): 15-chapter serial

- Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe (1940): 12-chapter serial

- Flash Gordon (1980)

- From Hell (2001)

- Ghost Rider (2007)

- Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2012)

- Ghost World (2001)

- Good Humor Man, The (1950): Captain Marvel tie-in movie

- Green Lantern (2011)

- Heavy Metal (1981)

- Hellboy (2004)

- Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008)

- Howard the Duck (1986)

- Hulk (2003)

- Incredible Hulk, The (2008)

- Iron Man (2008)

- Iron Man 2 (2010)

- Iron Man 3 (2013)

- Jonah Hex (2010)

- Josie and the Pussycats (2001)

- Judge Dredd (1995)

- Kick-Azz (2010)

- Kick-Azz II (2013)

- League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)

- Man-Thing (2005)

- Man of Steel (2013)

- Mask, The (1994)

- Men in Black (1997)

- Men in Black II (2002)

- Men in Black 3 (2012)

- Mystery Men (1999)

- Oblivion (2013)

- Oldboy (2003)

- Oldboy (2013)

- Phantom, The (1996)

- Punisher, The (1989)

- Punisher, The (2004)

- Punisher: War Zone (2008)

- R.I.P.D. (2013)

- Red (2010)

- Red 2 (2013)

- Red Sonja (1985)

- Return of Swamp Thing, The (1989)

- Road to Perdition (2002)

- Rocketeer, The (1991)

- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010)

- Shadow, The (1994)

- Sheena: Queen of the Jungle (1984)

- Sin City (2005)

- Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014)

- Smurfs, The (2011)

- Smurfs, The 2 (2013)

- Son of the Mask (2005)

- Spawn (1997)

- Spider-Man (2002)

- Spider-Man 2 (2004)

- Spider-Man 3 (2007)

- Spirit, The (2008)

- Steel (1997)

- Supergirl (1984)

- Superman (1948): 15-part serial

- Superman (1978)

- Superman II (1980)

- Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut (2006)

- Superman III (1983)

- Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987)

- Superman Returns (2006)

- Swamp Thing (1982)

- Tales from the Crypt (1972)

- Tales from the Crypt II (1973)

- Tank Girl (1995)

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze (1991)

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III (1993)

- Thor (2011)

- Thor: The Dark World (2013)

- Timecop (1994)

- Timecop 2: The Berlin Decision (2003)

- V for Vendetta (2006)

- Virus (1999)

- Wanted (2008)

- Watchmen (2009)

- Wolverine, The (2013)

- X2: X-Men United (2003)

- X-Men (2000)

- X-Men: First Class (2011)

- X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)

- X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)

TV SHOWS:

- Adventures of Superman (1952-1958)

- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (2013-present)

- Amazing Spider-Man, The (1977-1979)

- Aquaman (Pilot) (2006)

- Arrow (2012-present)

- B.P.R.D. Declassified TV Special, The (2004)

- Batman (1966-1968)

- Birds of Prey (2002-2003)

- Blade: The Series (2006)

- Captain America (1979)

- Captain America II: Death Too Soon (1979)

- Crow: Stairway to Heaven, The (1998)

- Dr. Strange (1978)

- Flash, The (1990-1991)

- Flash Gordon (1954-1955)

- Flash Gordon (2007-2008)

- Greatest American Hero, The (1981-1983)

- Incredible Hulk, The (1977-1982)

- Justice League of America (1997)

- Legends of the Superheroes: The Challenge (1979)

- Legends of the Superheroes: The Roast (1979)

- Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (1993-1997)

- Mutant X (2001-2004)

- New, Original Wonder Woman, The (1975)

- Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (1998)

- Painkiller Jane (2007)

- Secrets of Isis, The (1975-1977)

- Shazam! (1974-1977)

- Smallville (2001-2011)

- Spirit, The (1987)

- Swamp Thing: The Series (1990-1993)

- Tales from the Crypt TV series (1989-1996)

- Tick, The (1994-1996)

- Timecop (1997-1998)

- Wonder Woman (1974)

- Wonder Woman (1975-1979)

Interesting enough, we have movies listed they missed. But then they have some we didn't list yet.

- Adventures of Tintin, The (2011): 3D motion capture computer-animated

- Annie (1982)

- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993): Animated

- Billy and Buddy (2013: ??

- Brenda Starr (1992)

- Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (1979)

- Bullet to the Head (2013)

- Casper (1995)

- Dennis the Menace (1993)

- Dylan Dog: Dead of Night (2011)

- Green Hornet, The (2011)

- Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland (1992): Animated

- The Losers (2010)

- Popeye (1980)

- Priest (2011)

- Richie Rich (1994)

- Surrogates (2009)

UPCOMING:

- I, Frankenstein (2014)

- 300: Rise of An Empire (2014)

- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

- Amazing Spider-Man, The 2 (2014)

- X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

- Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

- Popeye (2015)

- The Secret Service (2015)

- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

- Fantastic Four, The (2015)

Whoops....it's under Amazing Spider-man. Sorry!

Meck

No worries.

:foryou:

Some of these shows went by different names. And some by three different names when they were distributed in international markets.

:ohnoez:

CLICK ME

Why don't you add them with footnotes?

I think a list stating comic first, comic afterwards, comic tangential to film, etc. would be more helpful than a list of films ONLY originating FROM comics.

This way, you can add Unbreakable to the list, one of the finest comic book movies of all time.