• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,160 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

And the gem of the day:  Pocket 17; stated first pocket printing.  The laminate has mostly peeled off the spine but is as perfect as I've ever seen on the front and back:

Early Pocket firsts in condition are few and far between. That is a great pick-up!  (thumbsu

On 10/29/2020 at 6:03 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

'The Mechanical Monarch' is a great science fiction novel. My copy, with the blurb from 'British SF PBs' by Harbottle and Holland, shows both the funkiness and glory of the mushroom jungle. One of my fave books under the wrong title... I like the way Ace worked 'Extra Man' in there, and suspect that Tubb was inspired by the original 1953 appearance of the title yarn of this PKD collection which has some similar themes...

img838.jpg

0mechmon.jpg

Thanks for another good recommendation, Pat. It took some interesting turns after what started off looking like a straight forward Apollo 13 type story.

28 minutes ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Excellent - John Dickson Carr is an adroit author, and many of his books are also cool vintage PBs, but I think in 'The Crooked Hinge' he transcended himself and produced a masterpiece.

0crohinb.jpg

I have that one, may have to give it a shot next. I have one story left in Deadly Night Call - that one has been a breezy read with some classic twists (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Excellent - John Dickson Carr is an adroit author, and many of his books are also cool vintage PBs, but I think in 'The Crooked Hinge' he transcended himself and produced a masterpiece.

0crohinb.jpg

I read it a month or so ago and really liked it. The Hollow Man is next on my Carr "to read" list.

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

I have that one, may have to give it a shot next. I have one story left in Deadly Night Call - that one has been a breezy read with some classic twists (thumbsu

Glad to hear that the short story Woolrich's are good too. I've read 4 of his books and liked them all. His reputation is well deserved.

2 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

I'd like to bump with The Golden Amazon

0goldama.jpg

This is a ridiculously hard to find paperback!  I bought the far more common The Golden Amazon's Triumph thinking it'll be a nice little set to complete.  Had no idea it would be a many year project!  :cry: