• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,164 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2024 at 4:11 AM, Darwination said:

HomeistheSailor-DayKeene(1952.GoldMedal225)coverPBO.thumb.jpg.88a3e67c279ede0cc652eb79e031778e.jpg

Home is the Sailor - Day Keene (1952.Gold Medal 225) cover PBO

Barye Phillips?

It's a pretty cover. Someone on the interwebs said the dude looks like Robert Mitchum and I can't say I disagree. I don't think it's by Phillips though, much more detail painted in compared to the other stuff he was doing at the time.

Posted (edited)

He's not really one of my guys but he did a bunch of Gold Medals during this year.  I agree about the detail work, but he does have some works in this year that are more detailed than others.

Avati was a guess, too, but it doesn't quite look like him, and he only has a couple of Gold Medals in this stretch.

Edited by Darwination

On 5/5/2024 at 2:45 PM, Surfing Alien said:

It's a pretty cover. Someone on the interwebs said the dude looks like Robert Mitchum and I can't say I disagree. I don't think it's by Phillips though, much more detail painted in compared to the other stuff he was doing at the time.

I thought the exact same thing.  I saw this and thought of Macao, where he's not a sailor but because of the fight scene at the end on a boat.  And then of course... Jane Russell...  :cloud9:

Copy of 1952 Film Poster Macao. Starring Robert Mitchim, Jane Russell and William Bendix. An A4 Size Poster image 1

On 5/6/2024 at 4:49 PM, johnenock said:

Really liked this cover:

image.thumb.jpeg.a4293422f6a05bb042a39569b216d7bd.jpeg

We have some similar tastes, John.  This one's going on the huntlist.  Lots and lots of Chiriacka on the huntlist :luhv:  Might be one I get picky over, too, with the white cover.

Really like the freebie, as well.  Not always a fan of the many "porch" covers I see on the trashy "hotel" and southern life covers, but this is laid out a little different.

A couple first pbs from bc's seller from a couple of my fave authors.

I don't think I'm gonna read this again but recall it as an interesting portrait of black life in WW2 Los Angeles.  I remember the use of the word "peckerwood" as a slang for whitey which was a word I've heard used since in a racial context but it was more of just a goofy word in whitebread Kansas.  An early novel but a good one, maybe some very loose/obtuse similarities to Richard Wright's Native Son.  I've still got some of Himes other stuff I haven't read, so there's no need for a re-run, but I'm happy to have the pb (and a deal at that)

IfHeHollersLetHimGo-ChesterHimes(1949.Signet756)coverJamesAvati.thumb.jpg.f66a27e78d2ae7a6efc472a2a6c384c4.jpg

Another cheap first. Not a bad copy all in all, the cover definitely conveys a sense of mounting anxiety and dread - of the Westian variety, not the Lovecraftian :banana:

TheDayoftheLocust-NathanaelWest(1953.Bantam1093)coverCharlesBinger.thumb.jpg.ae3bb843d84e4f571cc1a4e30481f927.jpg

On 5/6/2024 at 6:22 PM, Darwination said:

We have some similar tastes, John.  This one's going on the huntlist.  Lots and lots of Chiriacka on the huntlist :luhv:  Might be one I get picky over, too, with the white cover.

Really like the freebie, as well.  Not always a fan of the many "porch" covers I see on the trashy "hotel" and southern life covers, but this is laid out a little different.

I'll take that as a compliment. Yeah, I really like Chiriaka. He's different (looser?) than the early Avons I am usually drawn to.

On 5/6/2024 at 7:34 PM, Surfing Alien said:

A full set of Himes 1st pbs is an essential in any serious collection imho.

The 1st Coffin Ed and Gravedigger Jones yarn. Cover art by Mitch Hooks. Maybe his highest end cover.

20240412_000224.thumb.jpg.020d808d25be76d7f9f537ab3e8bc3dc.jpg

Another added to the growing wishlist.