• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,156 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2021 at 10:14 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Lastly I picked up Lower Than Angels by Walter Karig.  Karig wrote fairly extensively on WWII naval operations,  and even penned three Nancy Drew books.

In an odd twist, or maybe "Gold Connections", Rafael DeSoto did this cover for "Lower Than Angels" and also many Nancy Drew books hm

https://comics.ha.com/itm/books/vintage-paperbacks/reform-school-girl-nn-diversey-1948-condition-vg/a/122136-12026.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

Pretty strong price last night for a VG with rusty staples. The highest price I can find ever for a copy on Heritage in any condition, although still a pittance compared to the comic book and I know of private sales of higher grade copies at prices higher than this. It's odd though that they state in the listing that it's the first copy they've sold as they've sold a half dozen or so copies that i've seen over the years (and no copies come up in the "historical prices" when you click them in the listing but an independent search brings up several, although not as many as I recall seeing in the past).

I can't say with certainty that it's a correlation with strong prices for vintage pb's i've seen on the 'bay lately but let's say I wasn't surprised.

I had so much fun with 'PN40' (Avon SF Reader #3) that I bought an Avon Fantasy Reader #13 to have a copy of Fowler Wright's 'Original Sin', a story that made a huge impression on me as a child: I've never forgotten it, and still consider it a towering short story masterpiece.
The opening part of 'Original Sin' describes the Doctrine of Futility which prompts humankind to commit race suicide by lethal injection...

0avfan13.jpg

0orsi1.jpg

On 9/6/2021 at 3:57 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Some nice Graphics in. I believe both covers are by Walter Popp. They used to be considered lower tier but the originals, especially by Day Keene, Harry Whittington and Milton Ozaki are getting tougher.

748816676_GraphicStrange.thumb.jpg.a2b574f63b1406c342820a85b61850cc.jpg

1960756223_GraphicDieByNight.thumb.jpg.40912617d33db7a4cf4a0a653511fa27.jpg

Nice. I just acquired a Day Keene book myself and it's a Graphic as well.

scan0680.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

On 9/9/2021 at 6:54 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

I had so much fun with 'PN40' (Avon SF Reader #3) that I bought an Avon Fantasy Reader #13 to have a copy of Fowler Wright's 'Original Sin', a story that made a huge impression on me as a child: I've never forgotten it, and still consider it a towering short story masterpiece.
The opening part of 'Original Sin' describes the Doctrine of Futility which prompts humankind to commit race suicide by lethal injection...

0avfan13.jpg

0orsi1.jpg

Well Pat.   looks like you scored a Home Run here... Not only the cool S.Fowler Wright dystopia..  but #13 has to top the Fantasy Reader cover roster with the babe-in-a-test-tube cover 🤘🤘🤘

Picked this out with Fantasy Reader #13 to share the shipping, and because I always buy a few books for my late brother JCC's birthday 9/7, and because I like Lion and didn't have a Prather: this early (May 1952) pbo is one of the few he wrote that wasn't part of his Shell Scott series that ran at Gold Medal all through the '50s and '60s (my mom was a fan), and when GM picked up 'Lie Down, Killer' they ran it through several printings and covers then ditto in their Crest reprint line.

0lion85.jpg

On 1/10/2014 at 1:52 AM, Doohickamabob said:

Shhhhhhh..... Don't tell anybody about this....

It is still possible to occasionally find $300+ paperbacks for $30... Etc....

So shhhhhhh.....

143993.jpg.91519d0cf362bd7702d4d4c2c6023d98.jpg

143994.jpg.245b6c148c41cf221e63926aeb14eeda.jpg

A rare @Doohickamabob sighting!  Glad to see your books, sir!! (thumbsu