• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,981 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2021 at 6:00 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Got another one of the elusive last few Irish/Woolrich vintage pbs. He had a lot published!

20211008_152327.thumb.jpg.92e71295a56a417dc75cf37a37ff92e2.jpg

And a decent copy of a book I sold long ago and didn't think I'd get another copy of but the right deal came along

20211008_152348.thumb.jpg.dad1a411a16cc1aa0f96dab4f9b7ad91.jpg

It's unreadable to me but such an iconic cover that it has to be in any JD/Drug collection

I need to at least try to read Junkie one of these years.  It belongs in every vintage paperback collection, I think; just as the book most famous for being rare and valuable even if it's not really considered the rarest or most valuable PB anymore.

On 10/14/2021 at 10:11 PM, frozentundraguy said:

You guys probably guessed this might happen. lol  While I was rounding up some Pocket Books I also put together a group shot of my sci-fi titles.

image.thumb.jpeg.795f23b3560769d532a3f6ae06b05c9e.jpeg

I don't have many Pocket Books in my collection.  Cool to see some of these early Sci-Fi titles!  (thumbsu

On 10/15/2021 at 8:09 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Awesome! That's your original right? The text is small but I'm assuming it is Gil Cohen? Which mag/issue was it?

Yep, that's the one.  It's the January 1963 issue of Male magazine.  Very happy to have found the publication!  And yes, it's Gil Cohen. (thumbsu

On 10/14/2021 at 11:16 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Thanks. (thumbsu  I was somewhat surprised I had this many.

That's a nice run of the silver spines - I can only think of a few others - The Invisible Man, Invaders of Earth and No Blade of Grass off the top of my head. There's probably a couple others but they'd be a nice little set to complete!

On 10/15/2021 at 9:15 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Yep, that's the one.  It's the January 1963 issue of Male magazine.  Very happy to have found the publication!  And yes, it's Gil Cohen. (thumbsu

Good for you! :headbang:  Definitely solidifies the value to prove it was published. The question is, What is the hottie doing showering in the middle of the Nazi stronghold? lol

On 10/17/2021 at 8:39 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I recently made a trip to Dreamhaven books and found a few books of interest.

image.jpeg.a50f6e0ac51782dd633d63864ab54f15.jpeg

First up, the Trial of Terra. Earth is to be reviewed by Watchers to see if they can continue journeying into space or face extinction if found unworthy.

image.jpeg.c83543110062e7142e1215cdac39ce34.jpeg

Somehow both watching the movie and reading the book have eluded me thus far. This book should correct that minor oversight. I must admit the werewolf on the cover also helped sell me on the book. lol

image.jpeg.e1d624f10362b4f2a57f0470757ef241.jpeg

The Return of Sumuru was excellent, plus a cover with a lady in red made for a quick grab.

image.jpeg.f5395d1e780186d07e1c3c067fa6e75e.jpeg

Debated on this book for a while, as the blurb about Mickey Spillane across the cover detracts from the cover, but given the esteem in which MacDonald's works are held I snapped this book up also.

What a nice bunch of books!  One of these days we'll have to meet up over there, such a great store with very helpful staff.  And Greg's grading as about as good as it gets!  (thumbsu

On 10/17/2021 at 9:06 PM, Randall Dowling said:

What a nice bunch of books!  One of these days we'll have to meet up over there, such a great store with very helpful staff.  And Greg's grading as about as good as it gets!  (thumbsu

Excellent idea. (thumbsu  Watch out for road construction though. A sign on Hwy 55 mentioned that 46th was closed but not 38th. :makepoint:

On 10/19/2021 at 5:29 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Been a little slow but when it rains it pours. I recently posted a decent copy I finally found of this Woolrich favorite after a couple years looking. Then THIS spectacular copy shows up so I had to have it! Would be very hard to upgrade this copy it's very fresh and glossy and the spine is perfect - it appears unread.

1348047043_BlackAngel.thumb.jpg.4a0daf613c1aefa9e9a13c2f853f47e2.jpg

I was (finallylol) cleaning up my cave and sorted and stored all the books I picked up in the last couple months, which were lying around in stacks - A right mess!

So in the spirit of @frozentundraguyI put together a group shot of the Pocket Books that were in the stacks. Sure, there are a ton of uninspiring Pocket's, but that's because they printed   so        many          titles          over the years. There's still lots of cool books and covers, like those in this little assortment, some of which I posted here when I got them.

Himalayan Assignment is one of Ray Johnson's few Pocket covers, Maltese Falcon is the Dust Jacketed edition, the rest are self explanatory (and they're all first prints)

Pockets.thumb.jpg.e04789ff0323a8f64a2e2634efece299.jpg

Great looking group of books @Surfing Alien, and one or two I may pursue. (thumbsu  Oddly enough I also have several stacks of recently purchased books lying around, and will have to place them into proper storage. In fact this winter I may see if I can get them grouped by publisher for easier retrieval.

I was checking Abe Books to see what 'The Werewolf of Paris' by Endore was selling for. One minor issue, there were  no original PB's were to be found.