• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,989 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2021 at 4:38 PM, OtherEric said:

Today's finds.  I have a copy of the D-36 already, but it was too cheap to resist and my other copy is in storage at the moment, anyway.  I think we've established how little ability I have to resist the Ace D- and S- series in general, anyway:

Popular_236.jpg

Too bad that wasn't a Timely cover...

On 10/29/2021 at 7:33 PM, frozentundraguy said:

A few recent arrivals, with thanks to PatC and S.A. for posting their copies in the not too distant past.

The cover alone was enough to convince me, but the location and impending adventure didn't hurt. I'm not positive but the book looks to be unread.

image.jpeg.4db6b7998541e4c7c4a976bc42cceee3.jpeg

Had not yet read "The Invisible Man" by Wells, yet another classic I have not read.

image.jpeg.b3d4541af0b3fcb75a7b3bad3cc7a095.jpeg

One of the few novels by Weinbaum. I just discovered that he only wrote for a year and a half before succumbing to cancer.

image.jpeg.21da1f7b4befcd0320af830f4bbcdcbe.jpeg

Finally another Fantasy Press edition of "The Moon Is Hell" by John W.Campbell. He is generally credited for the onset on modern science fiction.

image.jpeg.7131b1bce60498bfad4dc12324eabffd.jpeg

Nice pick ups there!

On 10/29/2021 at 5:33 PM, frozentundraguy said:

One of the few novels by Weinbaum. I just discovered that he only wrote for a year and a half before succumbing to cancer.

Weinbaum was an amazing writer, it's a shame his body of work was so tiny before his death.  I would love to get the edition you have but this will do for me for now:

Fantastic_Story_1952_04.jpg

On 10/29/2021 at 5:38 PM, OtherEric said:

Today's finds.  I have a copy of the D-36 already, but it was too cheap to resist and my other copy is in storage at the moment, anyway.  I think we've established how little ability I have to resist the Ace D- and S- series in general, anyway:

Ace_D-036a.jpg

Ace_D-036b.jpg

Ace_D-036c.jpg

Ace_D-374.jpg

Popular_236.jpg

Killer finds @OtherEric The Conan has a great spine and the Schomburg cover is super white and fresh looking. Something I've come to appreciate on the white covers (thumbsu

On 10/29/2021 at 8:33 PM, frozentundraguy said:

A few recent arrivals, with thanks to PatC and S.A. for posting their copies in the not too distant past.

The cover alone was enough to convince me, but the location and impending adventure didn't hurt. I'm not positive but the book looks to be unread.

image.jpeg.4db6b7998541e4c7c4a976bc42cceee3.jpeg

Had not yet read "The Invisible Man" by Wells, yet another classic I have not read.

image.jpeg.b3d4541af0b3fcb75a7b3bad3cc7a095.jpeg

Finally another Fantasy Press edition of "The Moon Is Hell" by John W.Campbell. He is generally credited for the onset on modern science fiction.

image.jpeg.7131b1bce60498bfad4dc12324eabffd.jpeg

Sweet copies all around! 

On 10/29/2021 at 7:56 PM, OtherEric said:

Weinbaum was an amazing writer, it's a shame his body of work was so tiny before his death.  I would love to get the edition you have but this will do for me for now:

Fantastic_Story_1952_04.jpg

In reading about Weinbaum I found there were a few latter day critics. The gist of their critiques was that Weinbaum is now considered antiquated and quirky. I can well imagine the same might be said of some modern writers 90 years from now.

On 10/29/2021 at 7:36 PM, frozentundraguy said:

In reading about Weinbaum I found there were a few latter day critics. The gist of their critiques was that Weinbaum is now considered antiquated and quirky. I can well imagine the same might be said of some modern writers 90 years from now.

Yeah.  Make no mistake, his stuff has aged.  But no less an authority than Issac Asimov has said that Weinbaum was utterly transformative to the entire genre of SF, and pretty much for Weinbaum's entire life the field was trying to catch up to him.

On 10/29/2021 at 8:04 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I had one arrival today, she's a little tawdry but you take those scarce Falcon Books when you can get them 

20211029_204857.thumb.jpg.e1c8095b1c30577f2d2335ece9415342.jpg

Falcons are super tough (as you well know).  I'm still working on that run but once I get organized and can tell what I have, I'll post some group pics.  Might take me until Thanksgiving, though.  :tonofbricks: