• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,119 posts in this topic

Sharp!  No dusting required - maybe just a little glass cleaning. 

You married well if she's buying another one :D  Of course, maybe you had your books spread out all over the place -

We've got some built in shelves in the living room in very public space.  It's mostly photos and objects, but my wife also picked out some shelves of books from my collection (and hers as well) strictly for presentation and color of the spines, mostly classics and art books.  The lowbrow stuff lives in my office (not to mention the poor exiles on the attic shelves :violin:).  Wouldn't want these Memphis highbrows thinking we lack culture :whistle:

Edited by Darwination

On 4/14/2024 at 3:50 PM, alecholland said:

Weekend home office project. Set up my new Billy Bookcase with glass doors. I really like it. Only made it halfway through H's though going alphabetical by author. My wife said, "I told you that you needed two!" She's buying a second one for me right now.

Going through my books, I found a copy of Jack Vance's The Dying Earth ( Pocket Books version) that has been on my Ebay watch list for at least a year. I never could find a nice copy, but it turns out I already own it. Lol.

image.thumb.jpeg.1d7a6c0e79d50b426d950b12e7f5d8f7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8a68638cd5805e5e799d41d73d4c3a4d.jpeg

Beautiful display (thumbsu

Aside from my "wife-supported" Ikea shelf system in my office I usually show, we have a few Billy bookcases in our living room that we've had since our first apartment back in Brooklyn.

The glass fronts are awesome, you can make so many cool displays in them:headbang: 

On 4/14/2024 at 8:10 PM, Darwination said:

Damn it, John.  Another book title gets scribbled on my hunt list :cheers:

A great Whittington. But his are almost all great - I'm trying to be a completist but it ain't easy...

Such a smooth teller and blessed with tons of top notch cover artists to match the content in awesomeness (thumbsu

On 4/14/2024 at 9:03 PM, Surfing Alien said:

A great Whittington. But his are almost all great - I'm trying to be a completist but it ain't easy...

You're not kidding, holy cow, he did 85 novels in a span of 12 years:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Whittington_(author)

He's got a bunch of appearances in late pulps but especially the crime digests, too.

On 4/14/2024 at 7:42 PM, Darwination said:

You're not kidding, holy cow, he did 85 novels in a span of 12 years:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Whittington_(author)

He's got a bunch of appearances in late pulps but especially the crime digests, too.

85 in 12 years is nothing compared to Walter Gibson.  20 Shadow novels a year for a decade 

On 4/14/2024 at 10:53 PM, OtherEric said:

85 in 12 years is nothing compared to Walter Gibson.  20 Shadow novels a year for a decade 

True, but much more formulaic I think. Whittington delivered so many varied noirs in different genres, it is tough to comprehend how good he was

On 4/14/2024 at 7:58 PM, Surfing Alien said:

True, but much more formulaic I think. Whittington delivered so many varied noirs in different genres, it is tough to comprehend how good he was

Fair enough, although I think Gibson was much better at mixing things up on the Shadow than Dent on Doc Savage or many of the other hero pulp writers