• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,968 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2024 at 1:16 PM, johnenock said:

Been on a roll lately, Jim. Some pristine looking books!

Coming from you, that's high praise. You've been making me jealous for weeks now. :bigsmile: GOD BLESS ....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/16/2024 at 3:30 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Swamp Hoyden by Jack Woodford and John B. Thompson Uni Book No. 71. Cover art by Saul Levine (Re-used on Whittington's "Cracker Girl")

Once you start collecting digests, especially Uni Books and the others with thin cover paper, it becomes a tough itch to scratch :frustrated:

This one has it all, high grade, swamps & cleavage. What more could a man ask for ?

20240416_170528.thumb.jpg.8a261cb370c13f2955bb37a6678832b9.jpg

I love swamps!

I'm still a little confused by the term digest.  We started a thread for em with some discussion, and I thought I had a grasp of it, but it seems like it's used a little differently in the paperbacks.  I was thinking digest means saddle-stitched, but these unibooks aren't quite that.  Is it cause they are still bound in signatures (thick though they may be) and not perfectly squarebound? I know I've been confused when Eric calls some of the Avon's digests...

some randomish auction images -

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I see some of the uni-books had the saddle-stitching, too (this is what I think of as a pb digest):

s-l1600.jpg

I've been surprised at how strong the font strike is on the digests that I've gotten, very good compared to the pulps.  I'm sure it varies, though.  Love the cover gloss on them, but they do seem *just a wee bit delicate* when it comes to scratching and tearing.

I'm seeing some of the names from the romance pulps on these "sleaze" items like Peggy Gaddis and tons of Woodford from the girlie pulps.  See plenty of names I'm totally unfamiliar with, too.

Edited by Darwination

Digest generally refers to trim size in this context.  So the Dell 10c books are a rare example of saddle stitched paperbacks rather than digests.  Otherwise, most saddle stitched books are digest size but not all (or even most) digests are saddle stitched.

I’ll try to get a picture to compare sizes when I get home if nobody beats me to it.

On 4/16/2024 at 7:56 PM, johnenock said:

A few new ones:

I go back and forth on wether I like Dell's, Avon's or Ace cover artists the best:

Dell 710 Follower Quentin.jpeg

An all-time favorite:

image.thumb.jpeg.0ec7093e9d1f36667d52563c8c3fc0ae.jpeg

And bought this for the synopsis alone:

image.thumb.jpeg.c8b44f0021293b593a109b1485069c8c.jpeg

That’s why I love this forum.  Most of us never make it past the Frazetta art to go “there’s a synopsis?”

On 4/16/2024 at 6:45 PM, Darwination said:

I'm still a little confused by the term digest.  We started a thread for em with some discussion, and I thought I had a grasp of it, but it seems like it's used a little differently in the paperbacks.  I was thinking digest means saddle-stitched, but these unibooks aren't quite that.  Is it cause they are still bound in signatures (thick though they may be) and not perfectly squarebound? I know I've been confused when Eric calls some of the Avon's digests...

some randomish auction images -

"Digest" has two applications, I think:

1. Size: digests are wider than typical paperbacks (4.25" x 6.375"). Digests are 5" wide or more. 

2. Publication Status. "Digest" most commonly refers to periodicals, whereas "paperbacks" are books, not periodicals. 

Edited by Sarg
edit