• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,973 posts in this topic

KILLER batch today, Eric.  I'm not sure I'm putting High Heel Homicide in the "tasteful" category, but I likey :D  I actually prefer the cover for Night Drop, the double going on my pb huntlist - which is getting longer and longer by the day :whistle:

I like the cover on Long Pig, too, what's the back look like?

On 4/17/2024 at 11:19 AM, Darwination said:

KILLER batch today, Eric.  I'm not sure I'm putting High Heel Homicide in the "tasteful" category, but I likey :D  I actually prefer the cover for Night Drop, the double going on my pb huntlist - which is getting longer and longer by the day :whistle:

I like the cover on Long Pig, too, what's the back look like?

It's just a wall of text, mostly, with a small single color cameo of the three faces at the top of the front cover.

I'm totally down with the crime -digests- as fitting the bill.  Periodical.  Correct size.  Heck, it's why we call em digests. Humor digests, too, even if they don't fit the part of the possible definition of a collection of stories from various sources which gets left out here when we're talking about paperbacks (i.e. reader's digest, SF reprint digests).

I'm a little more iffy on some of what I have traditionally thought of as paperbacks being called digests.  I've got modern paperbacks that fit the size parameters of a digest and many a periodical that would fit in a digest bag that I wouldn't call a digest even if we specify their dimensions as saying digest-sized (shrug) 

Some of the paperback series went out to the newsstands/retailers on a regular schedule in the forties into the early fifties which I was thinking had something to do with the digest label.

I'm happy enough to stick with a simple definition based on the size when it comes to the PBs, though that does seem to exclude modern books of the same dimensions somewhat arbitrarily :goodvsevil:

Really, I'm a convention follower, though, and solely a stranger in a strange land with some of the paperbacks stuffs...

On 4/17/2024 at 6:59 PM, Darwination said:

I'm happy enough to stick with a simple definition based on the size when it comes to the PBs, though that does seem to exclude modern books of the same dimensions somewhat arbitrarily

Moderns aren't vintage so it's a fair exclusion. We're really talking about 40's-60's although there's a fair amount into the 70's and early 80's with comic book material digests