• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

I'm actually kind of surprised this book has maintained value.

Venom as a character has been lacking in popularity, hasn't he?

I'm still a big fan of the early stuff, but not the non-Brock stuff.

Am I way off base here? Or do people still love them some Venom?

.... only my opinion, but the continued popularity of the book could be due to more than just 1st Venom. It's got a decent cover, it's an anniversary ish, it's a McFarlane book from a famous run, and very nice copies can still be had for less than 500..... which is the glass ceiling for 98% of collectors. It also gets the ASM bump. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+1

-J.

...you agreed with me :o ...... what have you done with the REAL Jaydawg ? ..... seriously though..... people want keys..... and for an artist as wildly popular as McFarlane, this may be his only true key.... which I find puzzling. GOD BLESS...

The era of the "hot artist" is clearly behind us, and has been for some time.

There was a time (I'm not speaking to you, Jim, as I know you know this, but to everyone) that any book worked on by a "hot artist"....Adams, Starlin, Smith, Byrne...would be worth 10x or more than other surrounding issues.

That reached its zenith in 1992-93, with Image. Since then, the idea of buying multiple copies of a new book because it was by X artist has long departed.

Quick...name the last artist to take the comics world by storm.

Hasn't been any since Platt, who was (and still is) a McFarlane clone.

Not that there aren't solid artists working in the business...I'm not saying that.

But there was a time when people actively sought out, and paid a premium for, the following books:

X-Factor #63

All Star Squadron #47

Alpha Flight #51

Hawk & Dove Mini #1-5

Warlord #131

Silver Surfer #15

Silver Surfer Annual #1

Coyote #11

Giant Size Dracula #5

Strikeforce Morituri #1

Can anyone rattle, off the top of their heads, who belongs to what book, and what makes those issues special?

X-Factor #63

All Star Squadron #47

Alpha Flight #51

Hawk & Dove Mini #1-5

Warlord #131

Silver Surfer #15

Silver Surfer Annual #1

Coyote #11

Giant Size Dracula #5

Strikeforce Morituri #1

Can anyone rattle, off the top of their heads, who belongs to what book, and what makes those issues special?

I’ll try with the pair I recall: Alpha Flight #51 should be Jim Lee, Hawk & Dove obviously Liefeld, and X-Factor should be Stroman (which I still have problems with).

Collecting for the artist… Well, I have done so for Quitely, mostly.

Hey, I even bought Jupiter's Legacy… It takes Quitely to make me buy a book written by Millar. :facepalm:

.... only my opinion, but the continued popularity of the book could be due to more than just 1st Venom. It's got a decent cover, it's an anniversary ish, it's a McFarlane book from a famous run, and very nice copies can still be had for less than 500..... which is the glass ceiling for 98% of collectors. It also gets the ASM bump. GOD BLESS...

It’s not necessarily because of the subsequent popularity of Venom as a "standalone character" that #300 is shought after. Jim is right on all his points. (thumbs u

Except for the fact I would never buy it for over $100… lol

It’s not necessarily because of the subsequent popularity of Venom as a "standalone character" that #300 is shought after. Jim is right on all his points. (thumbs u

NEVER is very strong, considering the retail of high grade versions can be much higher than $100. Certainly if you had the opportunity to buy one just to sell it immediately for 5-10x more, you'd at least consider it wouldn't you?

X-Factor #63

All Star Squadron #47

Alpha Flight #51

Hawk & Dove Mini #1-5

Warlord #131

Silver Surfer #15

Silver Surfer Annual #1

Coyote #11

Giant Size Dracula #5

Strikeforce Morituri #1

Ill try with the pair I recall: Alpha Flight #51 should be Jim Lee, Hawk & Dove obviously Liefeld, and X-Factor should be Stroman (which I still have problems with).

Very good! The only error is X-Factor #63, which was Portacio's breakout.

Stroman was never "hot enough" for "long enough" for any of his work to be broken out.

.... that's what I used to say..... and then I recently considered paying nearly 4X that for a really sweet 9.6 with no bindery tear.....

...... and I didn't mean it's a key only because of McFarlane.... just that his art is a factor....... and food for another thought..... I wonder how big an effect slabbing had on the "death" of the Hot Artist genre...... ?

Quick...name the last artist to take the comics world by storm.

Jim Lee and J. Scott Campbell :acclaim:

The correct answer is Stephen Platt, who was a breakout hit in late 1993 with Moon Knight. JSC was never a breakout hit, and there was never a premium paid for his art, simply because it was his art. See: Gen 13, Danger Girl, etc.

JSC has specific issues that are more valuable, but that is because of their subject matter (in this case, prettily drawn women), and not his artwork in general.

But a question like this is subject to opinion.

No, not really. You just need knowledge of, or access to, historical records to see who was the last artist to take the comics world by storm, in the context of my post.

I have to say this because you blast everything anyone says :eyeroll:

Jerome

Having a chip on your shoulder doesn't help, Jerome. I don't "blast" anyone, and certainly not "everything" anyone says. Being corrected isn't "blasting", unless you're easily offended and don't like to be corrected. Expressing a different opinion also isn't "blasting", unless, again, you don't like anyone disagreeing with you.

Is that the case?

If you feel I have made an error, by all means, feel free to correct me. I won't be offended. And, if you have a difference of opinion with me, share it. Who knows, we both may learn something new.

...... and I didn't mean it's a key only because of McFarlane.... just that his art is a factor....... and food for another thought..... I wonder how big an effect slabbing had on the "death" of the Hot Artist genre...... ?

That's a very, VERY good question.

hm

That's a very, VERY good question.

hm

:acclaim:

.... A good question is my second favorite kind of question. My favorite type of question is the type where the question is also the answer....

X-Factor #63

All Star Squadron #47

Alpha Flight #51

Hawk & Dove Mini #1-5

Warlord #131

Silver Surfer #15

Silver Surfer Annual #1

Coyote #11

Giant Size Dracula #5

Strikeforce Morituri #1

Ill try with the pair I recall: Alpha Flight #51 should be Jim Lee, Hawk & Dove obviously Liefeld, and X-Factor should be Stroman (which I still have problems with).

Stroman was never "hot enough" for "long enough" for any of his work to be broken out.

I was reading Alpha Flight, and loving it, at the time. I just started to follow the titles in original edition (not in italian), so I recall when Jim Lee arrived, and I quite liked him. Not much afterwards. The Dream Queen storyline, right? :)

Portacio wasn’t bad either, but I believe all pretty much ruined themselves coinciding with their "popularity rise".

Although some improved, it took… well, a lot.

For anyone wondering, I was of course speaking for myself when i said I would not probably buy a #300 at the ongoing prices. I have it, luckily.

X-Factor #63

All Star Squadron #47

Alpha Flight #51

Hawk & Dove Mini #1-5

Warlord #131

Silver Surfer #15

Silver Surfer Annual #1

Coyote #11

Giant Size Dracula #5

Strikeforce Morituri #1

I was reading Alpha Flight, and loving it, at the time. I just started to follow the titles in original edition (not in italian), so I recall when Jim Lee arrived, and I quite liked him. Not much afterwards. The Dream Queen storyline, right? :)

Portacio wasnt bad either, but I believe all pretty much ruined themselves coinciding with their "popularity rise".

Although some improved, it took well, a lot.

The Dream Queen was a little later. The Alphas of the 50's were....I can't quite remember, as there was so little that recommended them, and it's been years.

hm

The Dream Queen was the 60's/70's.

But yes, nice Jim Lee art, and you could see his work really evolve here.

I actually think that Portacio's finest work was on X-Factor and Uncanny of this time period, 1991. It's beautiful stuff. I love the cover to #281. Stunning. One of the best covers of the run.

A lot of people don't like his exaggerated mouths, stretched open beyond reason, but that's a small quibble, I think. I love the long hair he drew on all the women, and his eyes.

Portacio wasnt bad either, but I believe all pretty much ruined themselves coinciding with their "popularity rise".

Although some improved, it took well, a lot.

The Dream Queen was a little later. The Alphas of the 50's were....I can't quite remember, as there was so little that recommended them, and it's been years.

hm

The Dream Queen was the 60's/70's.

But yes, nice Jim Lee art, and you could see his work really evolve here.

I actually think that Portacio's finest work was on X-Factor and Uncanny of this time period, 1991. It's beautiful stuff. I love the cover to #281. Stunning. One of the best covers of the run.

A lot of people don't like his exaggerated mouths, stretched open beyond reason, but that's a small quibble, I think. I love the long hair he drew on all the women, and his eyes.

Yes, in the beginning he was more promising. I still have to read The Legion of Night, which I bought at the time as I am a big Steve Gerber big fan, but found weird how it was conceived, and how Portacio drew Fing Fang Foom. :)

Was there ever any talk of a Venom movie? hm

Personally, I feel the "hot artist" trend segued into a "hot writer" focus in the mid-nineties. Off the top of my head - Ennis Hellblazer, Straczynski ASM, Bendis Daredevil, Kevin Smith Green Arrow (and Daredevil), Ellis Stormwatch - all had issues heat up at one time or another. And, to make sure this post is on-topic, I still have my newsstand copy of ASM I bought off the rack back in 1988. It's nowhere near mint, but I must've read that issue over a hundred times. :)

Edited by The Mad Irishman

Let's see if I remember these...

X-Factor #63 - Portacio

All Star Squadron #47- McFarlane?

Alpha Flight #51 - Lee

Hawk & Dove Mini #1-5 -Liefeld

Warlord #131 - No idea on this one

Silver Surfer #15 -Lim

Silver Surfer Annual #1 - Lim again?

Coyote #11 -First McFarlane pro work (or at least Marvel work)

Giant Size Dracula #5 - Not a clue

Strikeforce Morituri #1 - Wagner?

X-Factor #63 - Portacio

Alpha Flight #51 - Lee

Silver Surfer #15 -Lim

Very close.

All Star S #47 - McFarlane indeed.

Warlord #131 - Liefeld's 1st DC work.

Surfers - Lim

GS Drac #5 - 1st Byrne Marvel art

SM #1 - First Portacio pencils.

X-Factor #63 - Portacio

Alpha Flight #51 - Lee

Silver Surfer #15 -Lim

Very close.

All Star S #47 - McFarlane indeed.

Warlord #131 - Liefeld's 1st DC work.

Surfers - Lim

GS Drac #5 - 1st Byrne Marvel art

SM #1 - First Portacio pencils.

hm .....methinks someone was once a "Hot Artist" fiend........

...... but don't feel bad. Although this may date me a little, I remember a day when GL/GA 76 was more expensive than X-Men 1 ........ GOD BLESS.....