• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

X-Factor #63

All Star Squadron #47

Alpha Flight #51

Hawk & Dove Mini #1-5

Warlord #131

Silver Surfer #15

Silver Surfer Annual #1

Coyote #11

Giant Size Dracula #5

Strikeforce Morituri #1

Can anyone rattle, off the top of their heads, who belongs to what book, and what makes those issues special?

Ill try with the pair I recall: Alpha Flight #51 should be Jim Lee, Hawk & Dove obviously Liefeld, and X-Factor should be Stroman (which I still have problems with).

Very good! The only error is X-Factor #63, which was Portacio's breakout.

Stroman was never "hot enough" for "long enough" for any of his work to be broken out.

I was reading Alpha Flight, and loving it, at the time. I just started to follow the titles in original edition (not in italian), so I recall when Jim Lee arrived, and I quite liked him. Not much afterwards. The Dream Queen storyline, right? :)

Portacio wasnt bad either, but I believe all pretty much ruined themselves coinciding with their "popularity rise".

Although some improved, it took well, a lot.

The Dream Queen was a little later. The Alphas of the 50's were....I can't quite remember, as there was so little that recommended them, and it's been years.

hm

The Dream Queen was the 60's/70's.

But yes, nice Jim Lee art, and you could see his work really evolve here.

I actually think that Portacio's finest work was on X-Factor and Uncanny of this time period, 1991. It's beautiful stuff. I love the cover to #281. Stunning. One of the best covers of the run.

A lot of people don't like his exaggerated mouths, stretched open beyond reason, but that's a small quibble, I think. I love the long hair he drew on all the women, and his eyes.

I'm a Portacio guy as well.

Then again the early 90's was my entry into comics after Batman '89, so I have a soft spot for a lot of those artists even still.

X-Factor #63

All Star Squadron #47

Alpha Flight #51

Hawk & Dove Mini #1-5

Warlord #131

Silver Surfer #15

Silver Surfer Annual #1

Coyote #11

Giant Size Dracula #5

Strikeforce Morituri #1

Can anyone rattle, off the top of their heads, who belongs to what book, and what makes those issues special?

Ill try with the pair I recall: Alpha Flight #51 should be Jim Lee, Hawk & Dove obviously Liefeld, and X-Factor should be Stroman (which I still have problems with).

Stroman was never "hot enough" for "long enough" for any of his work to be broken out.

I was reading Alpha Flight, and loving it, at the time. I just started to follow the titles in original edition (not in italian), so I recall when Jim Lee arrived, and I quite liked him. Not much afterwards. The Dream Queen storyline, right? :)

Portacio wasnt bad either, but I believe all pretty much ruined themselves coinciding with their "popularity rise".

Although some improved, it took well, a lot.

The Dream Queen was a little later. The Alphas of the 50's were....I can't quite remember, as there was so little that recommended them, and it's been years.

hm

The Dream Queen was the 60's/70's.

But yes, nice Jim Lee art, and you could see his work really evolve here.

I actually think that Portacio's finest work was on X-Factor and Uncanny of this time period, 1991. It's beautiful stuff. I love the cover to #281. Stunning. One of the best covers of the run.

A lot of people don't like his exaggerated mouths, stretched open beyond reason, but that's a small quibble, I think. I love the long hair he drew on all the women, and his eyes.

I'm a Portacio guy as well.

Then again the early 90's was my entry into comics after Batman '89, so I have a soft spot for a lot of those artists even still.

Yes, Batman was my catapult into comics as well. How old are you, Reed?

X-Factor #63

All Star Squadron #47

Alpha Flight #51

Hawk & Dove Mini #1-5

Warlord #131

Silver Surfer #15

Silver Surfer Annual #1

Coyote #11

Giant Size Dracula #5

Strikeforce Morituri #1

Coyote is McFarlane (IIRC)

Silver Surfer #15 -Rom Lim starts????

Forget the above. I see the answers were already given. :tonofbricks:

Edited by chrisco37

Let's see if I have my Portacio chronology correct:

Star Wars 107 -- first work (inking)

Strikeforce Morituri # 1 - first work (pencils)

Strikeforce Morituri # 10 - first full pencils (one of these was just the art on the interior comic book within the story; maybe issue 1)

Punisher -- got some actual notice, particularly w/ Punisher 10

X-Factor 63 -- broke out

That sound right?

Also, not sure if you're only counting "new artists" but I'd argue Alex Ross as a post-Platt break-out (although yeah - technically The Burning Earth was pre-Platt).

Michael Turner books were also sought out - although that's a chicken & the egg situation since many of his covers were to limited incentives.

And Jim lee continued his streak at least through Batman:Hush and his first Superman run, which were early to mid-2000s. Both of those runs were collected for the art.

Yeah, I think Jim Lee was mistakenly left off. He's definitely on the list. UXM 248 used to be the hottest book through that time period if I recall correctly.

:gossip: He wasn't left off. Alpha Flight 51's his first Marvel work.

Fun fact - Uncanny X-Men 248 was the first issue of the title I ever bought - it was $.20 at a garage sale the month that # 252 was on the stands. I stuck with it monthly from 252 to 304, but JRJR's atrocious cover to # 300 had a lot to do with me dropping the title.

Well, one thing is "a soft spot", and one thing is objectively judging these new authors when they started. In 1989-90 I was already 20, and have been "reading" comics and drawing since I was 3, and Ron Lim's Silver Surfer was just… Not so good. :(

Let's see if I have my Portacio chronology correct:

Star Wars 107 -- first work (inking)

Alien Legion #6 was Portacio's 1st Marvel ink job, Feb 85. He went on to ink Longshot #1-6, X-Men #201, and others before Star Wars #107 (9/86.)

Punisher -- got some actual notice, particularly w/ Punisher 10

I don't know that Portacio got too much notice with his Punisher run. X-Factor #63 (2/91) came out 2.5 years after Punisher #10 (8/88.)

However...I do believe that AFTER his breakout X-Factor run (#63-69), a lot of people went back to his Punisher run (#8-#18, #20), and saw that it was reallllllly quite good, the first time he really perfected his style. I know I certainly did.

Those issues never broke out, though.

Also, not sure if you're only counting "new artists" but I'd argue Alex Ross as a post-Platt break-out (although yeah - technically The Burning Earth was pre-Platt).

Alex Ross' art was never "broken out", that is, had market notice and value because it was his art. There were rumblings, and Burning Earth was a bit of a bump, and Sandman Mystery Theatre Annual #1 had a bit of a bump, but that was about it.

Michael Turner books were also sought out - although that's a chicken & the egg situation since many of his covers were to limited incentives.

Mike Turner was too late on the scene. While there were certainly fans of his work, he never achieved any back issue value just for his art (as evidenced by, say, Ballistic #1-3 and Codename:Strykeforce #14, which hardly anybody seeks out, and for which there has never been any market value.)

And Jim lee continued his streak at least through Batman:Hush and his first Superman run, which were early to mid-2000s. Both of those runs were collected for the art.

You could say the same thing for Divine Right, or Fantastic Four (Heroes Reborn) or Iron Man (Heroes Reborn), or the original Wildcats, X-Men, or even his Uncanny run, all of which feature Jim Lee at his absolute prime....but none of those books has value because it has "Jim Lee artwork." Those days are, for the time being, long behind us.

X-Men #11 (Jim Lee's last issue) is no more sought after today than X-Men #12. That wasn't always true. I can think of a handful of Jim Lee's Uncanny run that are "worth more" (just barely) than surrounding issues: #248, #268, and maybe #270. Maybe #256-#258. I have a hard time passing over #267 and #269 in the dollar boxes, but they ARE in the dollar boxes, along with all the other books. Even #256-#258 still make regular dollar box appearances.

It's amazing to me the shift in the market that has taken place. Of course, I have always bought heavily in these, so I have tons and tons of "hot artist" books...that are, essentially, worthless.

Bummer.

Yeah, I think Jim Lee was mistakenly left off. He's definitely on the list. UXM 248 used to be the hottest book through that time period if I recall correctly.

:gossip: He wasn't left off. Alpha Flight 51's his first Marvel work.

Fun fact - Uncanny X-Men 248 was the first issue of the title I ever bought - it was $.20 at a garage sale the month that # 252 was on the stands. I stuck with it monthly from 252 to 304, but JRJR's atrocious cover to # 300 had a lot to do with me dropping the title.

Yep, you're right. Oopsie...

Another fun fact... #248 was also the 1st issue I bought, lol !

Walden Books, off the spinner.

Why? Because I thought Wolverine looked BA in the upper left corner.

Well, one thing is "a soft spot", and one thing is objectively judging these new authors when they started. In 1989-90 I was already 20, and have been "reading" comics and drawing since I was 3, and Ron Lim's Silver Surfer was just… Not so good. :(

Nah, still love 'em.

I loved SS back then. I started picking them up right before Thanos hit. Was hooked.

Joe Mad bust onto the scene, but there was no rush to grab his back issues, you had plenty of time to grab them before the next, late issue.... If it came out at all :doh:

This thread should never be buried.

Here are two in the collection that I've been wanting to show off. Posted in the Spider-man 1 UPC thread and thought I might as well get this up while I have the collection out.

Amazing Spider-man 300 SSx3: One of the most difficult for me to hunt down. I have another copy with Todd McFarlane and Stan Lee but it felt incomplete without David Michelinie. When I finally found this book with all 3 signatures it was more of a relief than happiness (thought I would never find one).

Amazing Spider-man 300 UPC: I posted in the WTB section on this forum and a fellow member came through. One of the best issue I've ever seen. Nicely centered, the "300" background is perfectly aligned to the edge, and the corners are sharp. The forum member I bought this from is also one of the nicest person I've gotten a chance to do business with. One of best pieces in my collection.

Spider-man%20300_zps2yr34nkx.jpg

Are there any SS of ASM 300 where Mr. McFarlane signs with a thinner/fine tip sharpie?

His signature on those 90's store signed/rubber stamped Spiderman #1 looks so much nicer compared to those signed with a fat tip marker.

Are there any SS of ASM 300 where Mr. McFarlane signs with a thinner/fine tip sharpie?

His signature on those 90's store signed/rubber stamped Spiderman #1 looks so much nicer compared to those signed with a fat tip marker.

I don't see why not. A lot of people who get these SS books done will also bring their own markers that they want the artist to sign with. You could easily bring the marker you'd prefer, or specify with the SS facilitator if you aren't going yourself.