• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

That 5.0 on pedigree ended at low price. Buyer got a good deal. $18k

Yes he did.

That's a great price, pull or not. Yeah, let's see what this fellow long islander gets for the 9.4. He's buying his dad's farm back apparently. I caught the tail end of the story the other day and looked it up. Wish I would have stumbled upon that collection. Even if I did, this guy knew what he was doing. He paid $1200 back in 1980. For those that were buying books and in the game then, I know that kind of dough was only for really clean copies of the books. Let's see what happens.

He has some other high grade books he's apparently auctioning off as well. Nothing like Spidey though!

Interesting story about these extensively restored high-grade CBCS books. Long thread about them on the GA board.

Link to the GA Thread?

Nevermind.....found it.

Link to GA Thread

Edited by chrisco37

Yep, seller should've sold to Metro so there would be no seller's fees involved and would likely get straight cash.

What makes anyone think Metropolis would have paid $450K for that 9.4 copy, simply because they paid that much for another 9.4 copy. These aren't widgets.

Yep, seller should've sold to Metro so there would be no seller's fees involved and would likely get straight cash.

What makes anyone think Metropolis would have paid $450K for that 9.4 copy, simply because they paid that much for another 9.4 copy. These aren't widgets.

They posted a thread here months ago about buying AF15 at x $ for each grade. That was one of the prices they offered for an AF15 in 9.4

Interesting story about these extensively restored high-grade CBCS books. Long thread about them on the GA board.

Link to the GA Thread?

Nevermind.....found it.

Link to GA Thread

That's the one. I think a fair number of the posts were zapped but it looks like there's still a lot there.

Nobody could have guessed when Amazing Fantasy #15 hit the newsstands over 50 years ago that Spider-Man would become a global icon -- yet here we are, in a Spidey-tastic world! Demand for this historic first appearance is high. It is by far the most in-demand vintage comic of the Silver Age, perhaps of all time, and copies continue to command sky-high prices

"Metropolis Collectibles searches high and low for want list clients," said Metro COO Vincent Zurzolo. "We have an A-list buyer avidly seeking the best copy possible, but we have not been able to procure a copy through our usual network of sellers. We're appealing to our massive customer base for help!"

Our buy prices for a copy with off white/white pages or better are below. These are net to you, the seller. There are no hidden fees. No seller's premiums. The price you see is what we'll pay! Respond to this email with front and back cover scans of your copy, or email them to brandonp@metropopliscomics.com pronto!

Here's what we'll offer you RIGHT NOW for your AF15!!

9.4- $450k

9.2- $325k

9.0- $200k

8.5- $130k

8.0- $65k

7.5- $55k

ama12.351a.jpg

Nobody could have guessed when Amazing Fantasy #15 hit the newsstands over 50 years ago that Spider-Man would become a global icon -- yet here we are, in a Spidey-tastic world! Demand for this historic first appearance is high. It is by far the most in-demand vintage comic of the Silver Age, perhaps of all time, and copies continue to command sky-high prices

"Metropolis Collectibles searches high and low for want list clients," said Metro COO Vincent Zurzolo. "We have an A-list buyer avidly seeking the best copy possible, but we have not been able to procure a copy through our usual network of sellers. We're appealing to our massive customer base for help!"

Our buy prices for a copy with off white/white pages or better are below. These are net to you, the seller. There are no hidden fees. No seller's premiums. The price you see is what we'll pay! Respond to this email with front and back cover scans of your copy, or email them to brandonp@metropopliscomics.com pronto!

Here's what we'll offer you RIGHT NOW for your AF15!!

9.4- $450k

9.2- $325k

9.0- $200k

8.5- $130k

8.0- $65k

7.5- $55k

ama12.351a.jpg

I wonder if they won the HA auction? :D

"Our buy prices for a copy with off-white to white pages or better".

The distinction between OW and OW-W is probably detectable only with an electron microscope. :D

I would hazard the guess that if that book were resubmitted 10 times, it would come back OW-W at least several of those times.

The distinction between OW and OW-W is probably detectable only with an electron microscope. :D

I would hazard the guess that if that book were resubmitted 10 times, it would come back OW-W at least several of those times.

And I would hazard the guess that if the book were resubmitted 10 times, it would come back a grade other than 9.4 at least several of those times.

The original point stands: Metropolis clearly indicated they'd be willing to pay $450K for a 9.4 copy only if it were graded with ow/w or white page quality. That's a clear indicator that they'd have offered less for the copy just sold on Heritage.

And I would hazard the guess that if the book were resubmitted 10 times, it would come back a grade other than 9.4 at least several of those times.

The original point stands: Metropolis clearly indicated they'd be willing to pay $450K for a 9.4 copy only if it were graded with ow/w or white page quality. That's a clear indicator that they'd have offered less for the copy just sold on Heritage.

Unless, of course, they just bought it in the auction.

Touche.

So I'm curious. When you submit your own GA, SA, and BA comics for encapsulation, about how often to you correctly guess what the numerical grade will be and correctly guess what the page quality designation will be? My hit rates are comparable.

Touche.

So I'm curious. When you submit your own comics for encapsulation, about how often to you correctly guess what the numerical grade will be and correctly guess what the page quality designation will be? My hit rates are comparable.

I've had a lot of downside misses lately on both grade and pq -- but, then, I've always been one of life's optimists! :D

But with respect to OW v. OW-W, that's always seemed to me to be slicing the salami awfully thin. I doubt there is a way -- without a great deal of effort -- of compiling stats, but my impression is that the population of both OW-W and CR-OW books is much. much larger than the population of OW books. Which I don't think makes sense unless I've missed something about what the pq grades are supposed to represent.

I agree that off-white grades are less common. I think c/ow is more common owing to the tendency of old books stored under less than ideal conditions to yellow more at the edges than in the center of each page. Such uneven yellowing almost always triggers a c/ow page quality grade, in my experience, unless it's so light that it falls into the ow/w category..

I agree that off-white grades are less common. I think c/ow is more common owing to the tendency of old books stored under less than ideal conditions to yellow more at the edges than in the center of each page. Such uneven yellowing invariably triggers a c/ow page quality grade, in my experience.

I think that's right, but then you would expect to encounter more OW grades than OW-W grades, rather than fewer, which I think is the case.

But wouldn't you rather have the label saying OW-W instead of OW?