• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

there is a difference in having an opinion and having an opinion based on understanding market dynamics...

markets (virtually all markets), are cyclical in nature...comics included... there are indicators and there are forces in play that dictate the direction a market takes... understanding the market is key to being able to speculate about the future of said market...

peace...

Are you in a buying mode right now Gator (buy cheap sell high.....it's all garbage aka doom and gloom when buying but when the time comes to sell it back it becomes pure gold....a must have no matter the price) lolllll just pulling your tail!!

be careful. Tail pulling can get your hand bit off ;)

Hahaha!!

Count my copy out from that "glut". It's staying in the family as a permanent heirloom piece in perpetuity. :banana:

-J.

Until they eventually find out how much $$ they can get for it. With you gone, so is the book. :(

Not if it's provided for in a trust in a will, barring its sale, for say, one hundred years after I'm gone. ;)

-J.

Attaboy (thumbs u

I'm having my "for once, I agree with J" moment lol

One think is dropping 460K, another is dropping 3-4M. Just saying ...

Yes I agree but I am saying 20 to 25 years from now....not tomorrow.

Who says in 20-25 years they will be as revelant or that the new generation will want to drop that type of cash for a comic over a painting. I agree with Gator and feel there will eventually be a market correction and may be a glut of comics being dumped on the market as people are trying to cash out.

Count my copy out from that "glut". It's staying in the family as a permanent heirloom piece in perpetuity. :banana:

-J.

To me that is the coolest thing hope mine stays in the family as well.

If we where discussion say the stamp hobby then yes that is more dead than dead. It would take a divine intervention to bring back that hobby to life.

The stamp hobby analogy might be more spot on than you meant it... There are still many old and important stamps that have value, while all the mass produced issues of the 20th century have faded alomg with the old guys who collected them.

Same future for comics. The old and newer keys will retain and increase in value while all the runs, and common or unimportant issues are too plentiful for the demand. The keys will remain good investments bevause Disney will never let the characters become stale and fall out of the public eye. Generation after generation.

So both hobbies will wither with the populations that spawned the hobbies... But the best items will keep their values anyway as cultural a touchstone collectibles.

I'm not saying however that the 9.2 AF15 will ever be worth 3-4M ... But there's no reason to be worrying that it will crater in value. It's still in the top dozen copies, isn't it?

One think is dropping 460K, another is dropping 3-4M. Just saying ...

Yes I agree but I am saying 20 to 25 years from now....not tomorrow.

Who says in 20-25 years they will be as revelant or that the new generation will want to drop that type of cash for a comic over a painting. I agree with Gator and feel there will eventually be a market correction and may be a glut of comics being dumped on the market as people are trying to cash out.

-J.

To me that is the coolest thing hope mine stays in the family as well.

If we where discussion say the stamp hobby then yes that is more dead than dead. It would take a divine intervention to bring back that hobby to life.

The stamp hobby analogy might be more spot on than you meant it... There are still many old and important stamps that have value, while all the mass produced issues of the 20th century have faded alomg with the old guys who collected them.

Same future for comics. The old and newer keys will retain and increase in value while all the runs, and common or unimportant issues are too plentiful for the demand. The keys will remain good investments bevause Disney will never let the characters become stale and fall out of the public eye. Generation after generation.

So both hobbies will wither with the populations that spawned the hobbies... But the best items will keep their values anyway as cultural a touchstone collectibles.

I'm not saying however that the 9.2 AF15 will ever be worth 3-4M ... But there's no reason to be worrying that it will crater in value. It's still in the top dozen copies, isn't it?

Agreed with what you said and yes there are very few AF15's in 9.2 or higher.

This thread offers some nice reading (from time to time!) ;)

What gives me personally hope for the future value of these important key issues is that Disney will not stop investing in these guys in tights any time soon and they will be in the spot light of popular culture for generations to come.

AF15s are not genuinely rare, yes, but they don't produce any new ones.

When I pick up my 4 and 5 years old girls from the kindergarten, and I hear a bunch of kids arguing about who is the strongest (Spider-Man Vs Hulk Vs Ironman) or whether Spidey can actually fly or not, all I think about is that in 40 years from now some of these kids will have enough money to make my daughters future comic collection worth something. And yes, the 4 years-old gets super excited every time a nice book arrives home :D.

What gives me personally hope for the future value of these important key issues is that Disney will not stop investing in these guys in tights any time soon and they will be in the spot light of popular culture for generations to come.

When I pick up my 4 and 5 years old girls from the kindergarten, and I hear a bunch of kids arguing about who is the strongest (Spider-Man Vs Hulk Vs Ironman) or whether Spidey can actually fly or not, all I think about is that in 40 years from now some of these kids will have enough money to make my daughters future comic collection worth something. And yes, the 4 years-old gets super excited every time a nice book arrives home :D.

Always tough to forecast the twists and turns of popular culture, but I think it's unlikely that superheroes will forever be as popular as they are now. The analogy has been made many times, but for decades Westerns were a staple of popular culture. Western movies, TV shows, and comics remained very popular into the 1960s before quickly fading to almost nothing.

Disney will stop investing in Marvel movies as soon as the investment no longer makes financial sense. Who knows when that may be? My own guess is that it's likely to happen within 20 years (the traditional length of a single generation).

The 20 year future has been a popular prediction. Hard to argue with it. It's always far enough out there to contain radical shifts in lifestyles, etc.

But from my perspective, having seen a few 20 year cycles, it tends to go by a lot faster than we think. And there's less radical change than we expect. Of course, the last 20 years has seen extraordinary changes thru technology that has changed how we all live work play, and waste our time. And these changes don't portend well for print industries and collecting hobbies.

So who knows?

As for westerns, what has happened is that it was the looking backward milieu of westerns that killed them once the space age began. It's the exact same heroes vs villains with moral dilemmas that have always been told in stories, and were the subjects of all that western media... But the sci if fiction opened up a new forward thinking adaption of all the western motifs that fit better with the forward looking boomer generation that came of age during the Mercury and Apolloe space era.

And younger generations have grown up with superheroes as the predominant fiction genre ever since. Coupled with new and exciting technologies that make space travel, and superpowers etc feel all too attainable.

So unless you can think of some other newer way to tell these stories that will appeal to future generations, we may be stuck with superheroes and space travel stories for a long time. Because they speak of the future which has greater appeal than the past.

Of course we may be entering an era where the majority feels we need to make westerns great again too!

They still make westerns. They just aren't the "aw shucks, Ma" nature they used to be. They're still here the stories are just told in a more contemporary manner.

And for better or for worse, I think superhero movies are a sub-genre that is here to stay as well.

-J.

We can also look at FF1 as an example, at one point wasn't it more popular than AF15? In recent years the price has dropped due to lack of support by Marvel and poor performing movies. Is it possible for Spider-Man to suffer a somewhat similar fate if the movies do poorly? It won't be cancelled, but interest amongst future generations may not be as strong. Right now iron man amongst kids seems to be more popular than Spider-Man.

Yeah. The genre still exists, and often done well too. Far from the dominant genre like it used to be which could be superheroes fare as well...

Bob Hope comics suffered a similar fate. It was once popular, but over time the value and interest has dropped due to current and future generations not knowing who he is.

We can also look at FF1 as an example, at one point wasn't it more popular than AF15? In recent years the price has dropped due to lack of support by Marvel and poor performing movies. Is it possible for Spider-Man to suffer a somewhat similar fate if the movies do poorly? It won't be cancelled, but interest amongst future generations may not be as strong. Right now iron man amongst kids seems to be more popular than Spider-Man. [/quote

In the 70s and 80s, FF1 was was the king of the SA. Long before the media and movie blitz.

The advantage superhero/comic book movies have is, if done right, they can, at least superficially, cross genres.

That is something Marvel is making a concerted effort to do.

-J.

Another advantage of superheroes is that they aren't real people who can grow old and die... Just reinvented for each new generation. Unlike movie star s and baseball players.

We can also look at FF1 as an example, at one point wasn't it more popular than AF15? In recent years the price has dropped due to lack of support by Marvel and poor performing movies. Is it possible for Spider-Man to suffer a somewhat similar fate if the movies do poorly? It won't be cancelled, but interest amongst future generations may not be as strong. Right now iron man amongst kids seems to be more popular than Spider-Man. [/quote

In the 70s and 80s, FF1 was was the king of the SA. Long before the media and movie blitz.

What happened? How did it lose its spot to AF15 and is it possible for a similar thing to happen to AF15 by let's say Hulk 1, TOS 39 or even FF1 or another comic? It may just lose interest over time.

Marvel was still Make Mine Marvel Sixties hierarchy. FF 1 came first, so it remained the #1 book. And until the XMen took over it was their best selling title.

I'd say the movies propelled AF 15 past FF1. Spider is just a cooler more accessible character compared to a ream of old fuddy daddy dad , who is married, and lives with his wife's brother and his WW2 army buddy.

Edited by aman619

I see the same in my city (one of the largest cities in Canada) kids talking about superheroes on a daily basis. They love them.....Spidey, Hulk, Thor, Supergirl, Flash, The Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man, X-Men, Batman and so on!!

Edited by SupergirlDC1959

I see the same in my city (one of the largest cities in Canada) kids talking about superheroes on a daily basis. They love them!!

I hear more about Pokemon than I do superheroes. If your kids are exposed to superheroes by yourself, then yes they will be talking about them and maybe sharing them with their peers, but to the most part they are not exposed by their parents. I work with many kids and they are not as into them as you are suggesting. Do they like them, yes, but they talk and like many other things more than superheroes. Everything goes through waves.