• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

To clarify, sure there will still be run builders.... Because that's what collectors do. But in the long run it will have turned out to be less profitable than concentrating on only keys. ( And affordable too)

Which is fine right? Because most of us always advise against comics for investment. And to,enjoy the hobby without seeking a financial windfall.

Spidey and the rest of the main characters (this includes all key GA and SA books) will do just fine over time. You have to remember some dealers kinda hope there is a market crash so they are able to buy key books for cheap then hold on to them till they go back up in value to turn a huge profit. This is also true for some collectors hoping to one day be able to buy a book they no longer can afford. I can't blame the dealers and those collectors hoping for such a thing. Don't listen to all the the and gloom.....superheroes are huge worldwide. Yes everything goes in cycles but more like AF15 is more in demand than Hulk 1 for example then a few years later say SC4 becomes more in demand than Hulk 1....this is normal but a complete fall out is not going to happen.

Edited by SupergirlDC1959

Speaking of building runs, collecting for speculation, and specifically AF15, - has anyone seen this YT video? Would this be a board member by chance? Just saw this doing a search for CGC vids. Anyone know the history on this copy?

Speaking of building runs, collecting for speculation, and specifically AF15, - has anyone seen this YT video? Would this be a board member by chance? Just saw this doing a search for CGC vids. Anyone know the history on this copy?

I'm not sure if he is a member but he was discussed along with his father today. The Youtubers dad is a dealer.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=425569&Number=9755682#Post9755682

You have to remember some dealers kinda hope there is a market crash so they are able to buy key books for cheap then hold on to them till they go back up in value to turn a huge profit. This is also true for some collectors hoping to one day be able to buy a book they no longer can afford.

I don't know of a single dealer that ever hopes the comic market crashes...keep in mind, virtually every dealer purchases inventory at what they hope is their desired profit margin below what they feel is FMV/they can sell for... if a market crashes, it would devalue said inventory to such an extent that probably no amount of books they could buy in the crash, would offset those losses...and, in the case of comics, if we enter into a really bad crash, we probably go the way of the stamp or pulp market and don't ever fully come back...so I have to whole heartedly disagree with that sentiment...

I also don't know of any book collector that cares of about the value of their collection, that wants the market to crash...sure, they might get to buy a desired book cheaper, but same principle, the rest of their collection is likely devalued to the point that it is not a desirable "hope"...

now, bargain only collectors, or collectors that truly don't care about monetary value, might delight in a market crash, but unlikely anyone else would (or should)...

just my 40 years in this hobby opinion, both as a reader/collector and reseller of comics... I truly hope that the market only continues to go up, but my basic understanding of markets and economics preclude me from that kind of hope, given the way our market has exponentially, and many times artificially, increased in value over too short of a period of time (ie "bubble")...

and a comment about "all those millionaires and billionaires"... they've always been part of our market...and for every Ayman Hariri that enters, there's a Marc Lasry that exits...so, I don't think we can look at the outliers as indicators of market strength, as by very definition that data shouldn't be included in assessment of the strength or weakness of a cyclical market...

You have to remember some dealers kinda hope there is a market crash so they are able to buy key books for cheap then hold on to them till they go back up in value to turn a huge profit. This is also true for some collectors hoping to one day be able to buy a book they no longer can afford.

I don't know of a single dealer that ever hopes the comic market crashes...keep in mind, virtually every dealer purchases inventory at what they hope is their desired profit margin below what they feel is FMV/they can sell for... if a market crashes, it would devalue said inventory to such an extent that probably no amount of books they could buy in the crash, would offset those losses...and, in the case of comics, if we enter into a really bad crash, we probably go the way of the stamp or pulp market and don't ever fully come back...so I have to whole heartedly disagree with that sentiment...

I also don't know of any book collector that cares of about the value of their collection, that wants the market to crash...sure, they might get to buy a desired book cheaper, but same principle, the rest of their collection is likely devalued to the point that it is not a desirable "hope"...

now, bargain only collectors, or collectors that truly don't care about monetary value, might delight in a market crash, but unlikely anyone else would (or should)...

just my 40 years in this hobby opinion, both as a reader/collector and reseller of comics... I truly hope that the market only continues to go up, but my basic understanding of markets and economics preclude me from that kind of hope, given the way our market has exponentially, and many times artificially, increased in value over too short of a period of time (ie "bubble")...

and a comment about "all those millionaires and billionaires"... they've always been part of our market...and for every Ayman Hariri that enters, there's a Marc Lasry that exits...so, I don't think we can look at the outliers as indicators of market strength, as by very definition that data shouldn't be included in assessment of the strength or weakness of a cyclical market...

Yes, that is an interesting assertion to make. I don't agree with it either. I do not want the hobby I enjoy to crash for any reason. I'm just pixels on the web and do not believe I know anyone personally on this board, so take my input for what it is, however, I think the growth we've seen is generally viewed as positive; especially if your income (supplemental or not) is based on said industry. For context, I'd classify myself as a casual collector. I own a few "expensive" books, but maintain a small, concentrated collection.

if the comics market went into freeful, all those who claim they'd jump in and buy would sit on their wallets, probably start selling too. Everybody talks about what they'll do in a financial crisis when prices pull back dramatically, but 99% of us would run for the hills, not back into a collapsing building, trying to catch falling knives etc

just like in a stock market crash.

another thing: why wait for HG prices to fall if you just want the comic for itself? Wanting a HG copy runs 180 degrees against that stated goal of just loving the hobby, investment be dammmned. Just buy a copy thats affordable now to plug that hole and scratch that itch.

Edited by aman619

if the comics market went into freeful, all those who claim they'd jump in and buy would sit on their wallets, probably start selling too. Everybody talks about what they'll do in a financial crisis when prices pull back dramatically, but 99% of us would run for the hills, not back into a collapsing building, trying to catch falling knives etc

another thing: why wait for HG prices to fall if you just want the comic for itself? Wanting a HG copy runs 180 degrees against that stated goal of just loving the hobby, investment be dammmned. Just buy a copy thats affordable now to plug that hole and scratch that itch.

its the ole "catch a falling dagar" adage...

there's nothing wrong with being a fanboy, our hobby is comprised of all types of collectors...making inaccurate or just wrong assertions, well, it is what it is...

there's nothing wrong with being a fanboy, our hobby is comprised of all types of collectors...making inaccurate or just wrong assertions, well, it is what it is...

"When there's blood in the streets.....buy real estate."

"Inside Man" (2006)

:grin:

-J.

That youtube channel is run by the son of Craig Davidson, the owner of Hero Headquarters in Colorado.

I believe many of the books on his channel are his dad's.

It's an impressive collection though, you can see them go through it here:

"When there blood in the streets.....buy real estate."

"Inside Man" (2006)

:grin:

-J.

Top Vintage Comics and Real Estate were great depressed investment in 2009-2011, and the top books were undervalue then. ;)

Yes, that is an interesting assertion to make. I don't agree with it either. I do not want the hobby I enjoy to crash for any reason. I'm just pixels on the web and do not believe I know anyone personally on this board, so take my input for what it is, however, I think the growth we've seen is generally viewed as positive; especially if your income (supplemental or not) is based on said industry. For context, I'd classify myself as a casual collector. I own a few "expensive" books, but maintain a small, concentrated collection.

arithmetic (slow and steady) growth is good for our hobby...overhyped and often misplaced exponential growth is typically not good for any hobby or market...that was my only point...we cannot continue exponential growth without some sort of market correction or reprocussions.... I definitely do not adhere to any doom or gloom scenario...our hobby is very strong right now and supported with mass media, social media and Hollywood...future can still be bright, but a correction will occur at some point (it has too, or we will defy all economic premises)

arithmetic (slow and steady) growth is good for our hobby...overhyped and often misplaced exponential growth is typically not good for any hobby or market...that was my only point...we cannot continue exponential growth without some sort of market correction or reprocussions.... I definitely do not adhere to any doom or gloom scenario...our hobby is very strong right now and supported with mass media, social media and Hollywood...future can still be bright, but a correction will occur at some point (it has too, or we will defy all economic premises)

This. Slow and steady wins the race. Prices that balloon 100%, 200%, 300% (like many movie hype books) set off serious alarm bells.

+1.

I don't really see a crash on the horizon and hope it doesn't happen. Fortunately,when there is weakness it is an opportunity to pick up keys at more reasonable prices. If there were to be a crash it is because of macroeconomic problems and your lost comic book net worth will probably be the least of your worries.

Top Vintage Comics and Real Estate were great depressed investment in 2009-2011, and the top books were undervalue then. ;)

The poor froze and the rich got richer.

But there were other factors involved.

For one you had interest rates that were as close to zero as you could get them. So anybody with any money was looking for a place to pour that money into.

So it was a perfect storm with new money looking for places to invest as well as lots of movie hype.

I don't think anybody is talking about a crash. Corrections happen all the time.

AF #15 corrected several times in the late 2000's. There would be a surge and then a slight pull back or a plateau.

It's just never been as over analyzed as it is now and that over analzying in and of itself creates over reactions in the market.

For example, one copy goes cheap and if the market grabs hold of that one sale and starts selling you create your falling knife situation .

It's that over stimulation in the market that is create volatility and havoc in stocks as well.

With a new administration coming into place and a focus on bringing back jobs for Americans I can see the stock market start to boom in the next few years and a rising American dollar. If that falters in the next 18-24 months and rates rise we could see a dump of non essential items like collectibles.