• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

Top Vintage Comics and Real Estate were great depressed investment in 2009-2011, and the top books were undervalue then. ;)

The poor froze and the rich got richer.

But there were other factors involved.

For one you had interest rates that were as close to zero as you could get them. So anybody with any money was looking for a place to pour that money into.

So it was a perfect storm with new money looking for places to invest as well as lots of movie hype.

I don't think anybody is talking about a crash. Corrections happen all the time.

AF #15 corrected several times in the late 2000's. There would be a surge and then a slight pull back or a plateau.

It's just never been as over analyzed as it is now and that over analzying in and of itself creates over reactions in the market.

For example, one copy goes cheap and if the market grabs hold of that one sale and starts selling you create your falling knife situation .

It's that over stigmatization in the market that is create volatility and havoc in stocks as well.

I agree, plenty of printing money and many "two tumble and a jump" on interest rates are the culprit. For a book like AF15 which corrected on pull backs as you stated, was always a buying opportunity. Again, with all this easy money, it has caused asset inflation, and made it more expensive for foreigners to invest in the USA because of a strong dollar.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

If there is a major adjustment in prices the last book that would affected in the SA is AF15 (this would be like seen a major price adjustment in Action Comics 1 or TEC 27). I can see some books pulling back after the movie craze like Groot 1st appearance and some other heroes in is category but I do not see Spidey, Hulk, Flash and so on been that much affected....and if affected they will pick back up after this happens if it does happen at all. Look at FF1 it slowed down over the last few years did it take a major drop in value no......will it pick up in speed in the next few years.....most likely.

Any how it is nice to see a new world record price set for AF15 in CGC 9.2 at 460 000$!!

Edited by SupergirlDC1959

Westerns are a pretty bad comp for superhero movies. The Western genre could not change with the times because it was/is affixed to a specific historical period.

Would people watch superhero movies if everything were set in the 19th century? It would be tough to sustain, especially for the younger and future generations. But thankfully we've got a dynamic, relatable, and adaptable modernity on our side.

There are timeless cultural mainstays, including many Disney products. A much better comp... and whaddaya know, happens to be Marvel's overlords. ;)

Even there, though, Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck are a tiny part of the Disney empire these days. MM doesn't have much of a role apart from being a corporate symbol. During the 1950s, Walt Disney's Comics & Stories sold multimillions of copies per month, iirc.

Wrt Westerns, people watching them in the 1950s and 1960s were pretty far removed from the times the films/TV shows were set in. Didn't seem to matter.

The larger point is that tastes change. Superheroes had been around for a long time before Marvel movies caught fire. Stan Lee spent years fruitlessly trying to drum up studio interest. It's not as if non-comic fans have somehow always found superhero stories inherently interesting.

When I was a kid, the circus was a big deal. Ringling Bros just announced they were closing down at the end of this season. Again, tastes change.

It runs counter to the history of pop culture to think that a narrow genre like superhero movies will maintain its popularity indefinitely.

The "comics as investments" thing is tiresome, I agree. All I'm saying is that for anyone who is thinking along these lines, my take is that it's at least as likely that any copy of AF 15 will be worth less 20 years from now than that it will be worth more.

Personally I don't see run collectors ever coming back, too expensive in grade to chase, so a cycle away from keys to common books in the titles run feels very unlikely to me.

i agree. The day of the run builder seems numbered for sure (always exceptions). Likewise, exponential run up in prices for a myriad of reasons, is also not sustainable indefinitely. That's my main point.

+2

With the prices of vintage comic books nowadays, the cost of building a run would be virtually impossible for the average collector.

Actually, when I first got into vintage comics back in the latter part of the 80's, I spent hours being advised to stay away from run comics and/or less than HG condition comics. The theory was that if I spent my money chasing after mid-run non-key comics in mid grades, I would have no left money when the keys or near keys in high grade hit the marketplace. hm

Of course, this was back when Overstreet had a price spread of only 1:3:6 from Good to Mint in its price guide. I was told that this price spread would continue to increase over time as one day collectors would come to realize the true rarity of HG vintage books and that the spread could even hit 1:100 one day as you went from bottom to top. Certainly not there yet, but definitely trending in that kind of direction and maybe one day. :taptaptap:lol

This purchasing strategy of going primarily after the keys and high grades was one I generally followed since I had only limited funds to spend. Unfortunately, this also contributed to one of my biggest non-purchasing blunders when I first started. doh!:censored:

So, although it's always good to have a strategy in mind, it's also good to have some flexibility and not to follow them too blindly. (thumbs u

if the comics market went into freeful, all those who claim they'd jump in and buy would sit on their wallets, probably start selling too. Everybody talks about what they'll do in a financial crisis when prices pull back dramatically, but 99% of us would run for the hills, not back into a collapsing building, trying to catch falling knives etc

just like in a stock market crash.

This post by you is just so bang on. (thumbs u

People always claim that they would be jumping in and buying when the market crashes, but in all likelihood, they would definitely be selling and running for the hills as fast as they can. :tonofbricks:lol

arithmetic (slow and steady) growth is good for our hobby...overhyped and often misplaced exponential growth is typically not good for any hobby or market...

Bob, is that you........when did you hack into Gator's account to come up with this post? lol

Seriously though, although everybody tends to complain how slow Overstreet is when it comes to increasing prices, I strongly feel that his slow and steady approach has helped to nurture and guide this comic book market to grow over time. (thumbs u

Definitely better than what might have happen if he had adopted the Wizard approach to pricing by reacting to all types of wild speculation and keeping prices at extreme speculative levels by jacking them up and down on an ongoing basis. :tonofbricks:

and a comment about "all those millionaires and billionaires"... they've always been part of our market...and for every Ayman Hariri that enters, there's a Marc Lasry that exits...

Any idea if the last CC auction was basically the extent of Lasry's total collection since it seem like it just ended before it got to the end of the alphabet? None of the Batman books out there yet, which seems kind of strange since his collection was so DC-centric. hm

And did he not bothered with any of the SA Marvel books at all? Methinks there are probably still a lot more to come, but is still being kept for now or to be sold off at a more tax advantageous time. (shrug)

I can't believe we are talking doom and gloom a few days after AF15 break a world record price in 9.2 at 460 000$.....come on this is insane (it wouldn't be if the price was much lower....but it's not it's a new record price)!! Right now AF15 is healthy as a horse and that's what matters!! Spidey is king and the world loves him end of story.

When GA books break new record prices no one talks about the market free falling not a single person does this in the GA section only here in the SA section and even worse of all places in the AF15 topic. Imagine people doing the same thing in the AC 1 or TEC 27 topics....it would simply never happen.....people in that section applaud and clap when a GA books sets a new record price. But some people here in the SA section want to boooo when the #1 ranked SA book is doing well.....go figure.

Absolutely no one knows what will occur in 10 years and even less in 20 years not a single person in the world knows what will happen from here till then in our hobby.....could turn out the market does slows down or maybe it will not.....right now all this is nonsense and especially talking about this in the AF15 topic of all places (this would be the last book to have a downturn in the whole SA).

I can't believe we are talking doom and gloom a few days after AF15 break a world record price in 9.2 at 460 000$.....come on this is insane (it wouldn't be if the price was much lower....but it's not it's a new record price)!! Right now AF15 is healthy as a horse and that's what matters!! Spidey is king and the world loves him end of story.

When GA books break new record prices no one talks about the market free falling not a single person does this in the GA section only here in the SA section and even worse of all places in the AF15 topic. Imagine people doing the same thing in the AC 1 or TEC 27 topics....it would simply never happen.....people in that section applaud and clap when a GA books sets a new record price. But some people here in the SA section want to boooo when the #1 ranked SA book is doing well.....go figure.

Absolutely no one knows what will occur in 10 years and even less in 20 years not a single person in the world knows what will happen from here till then in our hobby.....could turn out the market does slows down or maybe it will not.....right now all this is nonsense and especially talking about this in the AF15 topic of all places (this would be the last book to have a downturn in the whole SA).

you seem to be the only person talking gloom and doom? Not sure I've seen anyone else post that except you?

Does this copy just look faded due to a bad scan?

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=410744

It's a bad scan. Looks like a consignment book and not scanned by CC.

you seem to be the only person talking gloom and doom? Not sure I've seen anyone else post that except you?

Maybe I read your comments wrong in that case I apologize. I guess everyone sees the market in a different way. I still have hope long term for key GA and SA books.