• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

This thread offers some nice reading (from time to time!) ;)

What gives me personally hope for the future value of these important key issues is that Disney will not stop investing in these guys in tights any time soon and they will be in the spot light of popular culture for generations to come.

AF15s are not genuinely rare, yes, but they don't produce any new ones.

When I pick up my 4 and 5 years old girls from the kindergarten, and I hear a bunch of kids arguing about who is the strongest (Spider-Man Vs Hulk Vs Ironman) or whether Spidey can actually fly or not, all I think about is that in 40 years from now some of these kids will have enough money to make my daughters future comic collection worth something. And yes, the 4 years-old gets super excited every time a nice book arrives home :D.

I see the same in my city (one of the largest cities in Canada) kids talking about superheroes on a daily basis. They love them!!

I hear more about Pokemon than I do superheroes. If your kids are exposed to superheroes by yourself, then yes they will be talking about them and maybe sharing them with their peers, but to the most part they are not exposed by their parents. I work with many kids and they are not as into them as you are suggesting. Do they like them, yes, but they talk and like many other things more than superheroes. Everything goes through waves.

Yes I see a lot of Pokemon as well.

We can also look at FF1 as an example, at one point wasn't it more popular than AF15? In recent years the price has dropped due to lack of support by Marvel and poor performing movies. Is it possible for Spider-Man to suffer a somewhat similar fate if the movies do poorly? It won't be cancelled, but interest amongst future generations may not be as strong. Right now iron man amongst kids seems to be more popular than Spider-Man. [/quote

In the 70s and 80s, FF1 was was the king of the SA. Long before the media and movie blitz.

What happened? How did it lose its spot to AF15 and is it possible for a similar thing to happen to AF15 by let's say Hulk 1, TOS 39 or even FF1 or another comic? It may just lose interest over time.

Did you watch the FF cartoons in the 60s? Man I loved them.

The movie hype pushed Spidey over every one. Even when the '78 Superman movie debuted, many fans said "I can't wait until Spiderman comes out!"

This thread offers some nice reading (from time to time!) ;)

What gives me personally hope for the future value of these important key issues is that Disney will not stop investing in these guys in tights any time soon and they will be in the spot light of popular culture for generations to come.

AF15s are not genuinely rare, yes, but they don't produce any new ones.

When I pick up my 4 and 5 years old girls from the kindergarten, and I hear a bunch of kids arguing about who is the strongest (Spider-Man Vs Hulk Vs Ironman) or whether Spidey can actually fly or not, all I think about is that in 40 years from now some of these kids will have enough money to make my daughters future comic collection worth something. And yes, the 4 years-old gets super excited every time a nice book arrives home :D.

I see the same in my city (one of the largest cities in Canada) kids talking about superheroes on a daily basis. They love them!!

I hear more about Pokemon than I do superheroes. If your kids are exposed to superheroes by yourself, then yes they will be talking about them and maybe sharing them with their peers, but to the most part they are not exposed by their parents. I work with many kids and they are not as into them as you are suggesting. Do they like them, yes, but they talk and like many other things more than superheroes. Everything goes through waves.

Yes I see a lot of Pokemon as well.

I use a comprehension program with my students where they have to choose things that interest them and Spiderman doesn't usually crack the top 10. Iron Man and Hulk are highly rated. Sponge Bob, doesn't come anywhere close and looney tunes doesn't even register. Most students have never seen a bugs bunny cartoon and don't know who he is. Batman and Captain America rate highly. Superheroes to the most part fall behind whatever the current animated movie is or Pokemon.

We can also look at FF1 as an example, at one point wasn't it more popular than AF15? In recent years the price has dropped due to lack of support by Marvel and poor performing movies. Is it possible for Spider-Man to suffer a somewhat similar fate if the movies do poorly? It won't be cancelled, but interest amongst future generations may not be as strong. Right now iron man amongst kids seems to be more popular than Spider-Man. [/quote

In the 70s and 80s, FF1 was was the king of the SA. Long before the media and movie blitz.

What happened? How did it lose its spot to AF15 and is it possible for a similar thing to happen to AF15 by let's say Hulk 1, TOS 39 or even FF1 or another comic? It may just lose interest over time.

Did you watch the FF cartoons in the 60s? Man I loved them.

The movie hype pushed Spidey over every one. Even when the '78 Superman movie debuted, many fans said "I can't wait until Spiderman comes out!"

Was born in the 80s, so no I didn't watch the FF cartoons. May have seen the old hulk and Spidey cartoons in reruns, but it was all about the x-men cartoons, batman adventures and the new Spidey cartoons from the 90s. As well, old Mighty Mouse, Looney Tunes and Rocky and Bull Winkle played during the Saturday morning cartoon extravaganza. Those cartoons not only exposed me to Superheroes, but also hooked everyone, which sadly kids today aren't exposed to. I was exposed to comics growing up by reading What If, Marvel Team-Up, GI Joe and Transformer comic books. It is What If? that really grabbed my attention.

Kids all have their separate preferences... they aren't some kind of monolithic entity lol Without a mass scientific survey, no small-sample blanket statement can be held up as gospel. Plus such surveys would produce different results every 2 years anyhow.

The thing about Spidey is he's endured for many decades with relatively high visibility and exposure. When I was a kid in the late 80s and early 90s, he was the man. He's still the man. Will he be every kid's favorite? Of course not. My own nephew started with Spidey and has since moved on to Darth Vader (he's in Kindergarten).

They still make westerns. They just aren't the "aw shucks, Ma" nature they used to be. They're still here the stories are just told in a more contemporary manner.

And for better or for worse, I think superhero movies are a sub-genre that is here to stay as well.

-J.

True, but it's nothing like it was. The fraction of major studio movies with Western themes is a tiny fraction of what it was from the 1930s through the early 1960s. The same with network TV, where Bonanza, Gunsmoke, and many other Western series were highly rated in the 1950s and early 1960s. I don't follow network TV much these days. Are there any Western series on? Westerns have lost the place they once had in popular culture.

The larger point is that tastes change. Everyone posting in this thread is likely to continue going to superhero movies as long as the studios are willing to turn them out. But people like us are not nearly enough of an audience. Given how expensive these films are, they need to appeal to large numbers of casual movie goers. They certainly do now, but I'm dubious that will be true indefinitely.

If superhero movies follow Westerns into the dustbin of popular culture, what will the effect be on the comic collecting hobby? I have no idea, but it's hard to believe it won't have some negative effect.

Westerns are a pretty bad comp for superhero movies. The Western genre could not change with the times because it was/is affixed to a specific historical period.

Would people watch superhero movies if everything were set in the 19th century? It would be tough to sustain, especially for the younger and future generations. But thankfully we've got a dynamic, relatable, and adaptable modernity on our side.

There are timeless cultural mainstays, including many Disney products. A much better comp... and whaddaya know, happens to be Marvel's overlords. ;)

Can't we just be happy for now with the current record sale of 460 000$ for a AF15 in CGC 9.2!!

This hobby has much more positive potential in the long run versus many others like say stamp or coin collecting.

I long for the days when people loved comics and not the money that they are worth.

Can't we just be happy for now with the current record sale of 460 000$ for a AF15 in CGC 9.2!!

This hobby has much more positive potential in the long run versus many others like say stamp or coin collecting.

I long for the days when people loved comics and not the money that they are worth.

:headbang::sumo:

They still make westerns. They just aren't the "aw shucks, Ma" nature they used to be. They're still here the stories are just told in a more contemporary manner.

And for better or for worse, I think superhero movies are a sub-genre that is here to stay as well.

-J.

True, but it's nothing like it was. The fraction of major studio movies with Western themes is a tiny fraction of what it was from the 1930s through the early 1960s. The same with network TV, where Bonanza, Gunsmoke, and many other Western series were highly rated in the 1950s and early 1960s. I don't follow network TV much these days. Are there any Western series on? Westerns have lost the place they once had in popular culture.

The larger point is that tastes change. Everyone posting in this thread is likely to continue going to superhero movies as long as the studios are willing to turn them out. But people like us are not nearly enough of an audience. Given how expensive these films are, they need to appeal to large numbers of casual movie goers. They certainly do now, but I'm dubious that will be true indefinitely.

If superhero movies follow Westerns into the dustbin of popular culture, what will the effect be on the comic collecting hobby? I have no idea, but it's hard to believe it won't have some negative effect.

Hollywood will know fairly soon how long they can bank on superhero movies. But, in the studios thinking, they want blockbusters. And a good leg up in making a blockbuster and a potential franchise is source material that has a following already. Hollywood plays it safe, so a pitch based on existing successful known subjects has an advantage over a brand new created concept. Sure, sometimes these still manage to get produced and released. And sometimes they click and lead to sequels.

Hollywode loves these big budget adventure extravaganza films because they actually entice people into theatres, which is still their biggest profit center. And big budget spectacular involve lots of CGI and mythic characters. That's why the superhero films are perfect subject matter right now, and they are clicking with moviegoers better than anything else. .. Especially when they are well made, and Marvel has been extraordinarily clever about their films.

So this "fad" continues onward well past its genre expiration date. Can't last forever, but why can't it remain part of the Hollywood diet, even if it's no longer the biggest genre. What can replace it that isn't similar? People aren't interested in the Oscar contenders, or serious movies. Biopics can work, depending on the subject matter. But outside of these movies nothing else is really working out there...

You know you can do both at the same time (it's like loving someone for multiples reasons) love comics and love a hobby that can prosper financially in your favor. It doesn't make me or others like that any less comic book fans.

You are free to enjoy the hobby the way you like as are other people in their own way. This is not a hobby where others chose the way you should enjoy it (and hopefully don't try to guilt you into been like them either)!!

This hobby makes you happy in your own way and this hobby makes me happy in my own way and many others as well....it's a great hobby....we are lucky to live in a era where we can enjoy a hobby like this one!!

Edited by SupergirlDC1959

Count my copy out from that "glut". It's staying in the family as a permanent heirloom piece in perpetuity. :banana:

-J.

Until they eventually find out how much $$ they can get for it. With you gone, so is the book. :(

That is usually the sad fact in life but one can still hope. Like the saying goes one man's dream is another man's dust!!

Unfortunately, this is just so true. As a collector, nobody will love your books more than you. (thumbs u

One you are gone, however, all everybody else will see are just the dollar $$ signs. :(

Heck, even right now before you are even close to going, all they really see are the big fat dollar $$$ signs. :sumo:lol

markets (virtually all markets), are cyclical in nature...comics included... there are indicators and there are forces in play that dictate the direction a market takes... understanding the market is key to being able to speculate about the future of said market...

+1

If you've been here long enough, the comic book market most definitely moves in cycles. (thumbs u

What is hot one year can turn relatively cold for extended periods of time and the vice versa is also true.

Take a look at how super red hot GA was back in the mid 90's and how they then proceeded to cool off in the latter part of the 90's. Similarly, SA was hot in the beginning of the 90's, but take a look at how stone cold dead they were for virtually all of the 80's.

Right now, it's all about the keys and the classic covers. And yet the mid-runs and the non-keys are not seeing anywhere near the same kind of demand at all, especially in terms of some of the BA and CA books. Another example is movie and TV related books which are super hot right now such as the GA Wonder Woman keys which are red hot right now, but were relatively frigid cold for the longest while just a few short years ago.

Yes, nothing seems to stay hot forever. hm

We'll, I agree about cycles, but that refers more to the good old days. Back then there were far fewer Outside stimulants that caused mad rushes to dead cold books and titles. There were only cycles related to genre fatigue leading collectors to focus on books that suddenly seemed cheap compared to the ones that had moved up.

Today however outside forces dictate the cycles far more. Keys are huge now, including all the suddenly hot movie and tv tie ins. This is the strongest market mover ever. When this mass histeria can propel Rocket Raccoon mini series etc to sales of 100s of dollars, then plummet, but retain a still elevated price point.

Personally I don't see run collectors ever coming back, too expensive in grade to chase, so a cycle away from keys to common books in the titles run feels very unlikely to me.

We'll, I agree about cycles, but that refers more to the good old days. Back then there were far fewer Outside stimulants that caused mad rushes to dead cold books and titles. There were only cycles related to genre fatigue leading collectors to focus on books that suddenly seemed cheap compared to the ones that had moved up.

Today however outside forces dictate the cycles far more. Keys are huge now, including all the suddenly hot movie and tv tie ins. This is the strongest market mover ever. When this mass histeria can propel Rocket Raccoon mini series etc to sales of 100s of dollars, then plummet, but retain a still elevated price point.

Personally I don't see run collectors ever coming back, too expensive in grade to chase, so a cycle away from keys to common books in the titles run feels very unlikely to me.

i agree. The day of the run builder seems numbered for sure (always exceptions). Likewise, exponential run up in prices for a myriad of reasons, is also not sustainable indefinitely. That's my main point.

i agree. The day of the run builder seems numbered for sure (always exceptions). Likewise, exponential run up in prices for a myriad of reasons, is also not sustainable indefinitely. That's my main point.

I see the Vintage Comic market still has a lot of room to grow. When there are many more million dollar books/sales, the market is maturing. I see another 5-10 years of growth and perhaps stagnant after.

So much for getting value out of my X-Men run! Sucks for my kids, but I'm still happy I have almost completed it!