• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

My AF15 CGC 6.5 is the exact opposite it has some minor issues on the front cover but not a single issue on the inside or the back cover based on the CGC grader's notes I purchased. So there is a chance the buyer paid 57 000$ for the front cover and who knows what the inside looks like (the back cover had multiples stains).

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

2 hours ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:
2 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Once HG copies moves...LG will move up to. For a matter of fact LG out perform HG copies last seven years.

Yes and even the copies with some defects will continue to rise as well they are still after all AF15's!! Just like the key golden age books in lower grades with defects.

Yes, waiting with great anticipation to see how 3 very early key GA Detective's will do in this CC auction on Wednesday.  :taptaptap:   Especially since all 3 of them seems to present so much nicer than the relatively low grades which were assigned to them by CGC:

1)  Detective 1 - CGC 3.5:     http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=697754 ;

2)  Detective 29 - CGC 3.0:    http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=684452 ; and

3)  Detective 38 - CGC 3.0:    http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=676931

Interesting to note that all 3 of these books were graded in the latter half of 2016, with the 'Tec 38 in July of 2016, the 'Tec 29 in August of 2016, and the 'Tec 1 in December of 2016.  Co-incidence that all 3 of these nice looking books would all have serious interior hidden defects or could it possibly be nothing more than a case of extremely tight grading?  hm

My bet is that all 3 of these key GA books will set records based upon a Price Per Point basis, if for no other reason than they just look so visually appealing relative to their grades.  (thumbsu  :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, waiting with great anticipation to see how 3 very early key GA Detective's will do in this CC auction on Wednesday.  :taptaptap:   Especially since all 3 of them seems to present so much nicer than the relatively low grades which were assigned to them by CGC:

1)  Detective 1 - CGC 3.5:     http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=697754 ;

2)  Detective 29 - CGC 3.0:    http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=684452 ; and

3)  Detective 38 - CGC 3.0:    http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=676931

Interesting to note that all 3 of these books were graded in the latter half of 2016, with the 'Tec 38 in July of 2016, the 'Tec 29 in August of 2016, and the 'Tec 1 in December of 2016.  Co-incidence that all 3 of these nice looking books would all have serious interior hidden defects or could it possibly be nothing more than a case of extremely tight grading?  hm

My bet is that all 3 of these key GA books will set records based upon a Price Per Point basis, if for no other reason than they just look so visually appealing relative to their grades.  (thumbsu  :cloud9:

Those are some beauties 2 of them are some of my favorite covers of all-time the TEC 1 and TEC 29.

36 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:
38 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Most definitely and that is exactly why I hope any potential bidders for these big dollar books spend the few extra bucks to purchase the Graders' Notes before bidding.

Of course, there's also the other possibility that one book might have been graded during a so-called loose grading time period while the other book was graded during a so-called tight grading time period.  Seems that the 5.0 copy that sold today through CC was graded during the latter part of 2016 where we are seeing so many gorgeous looking books that seems to present much nicer than their assigned grades from an visual eye appeal point of view.  hm  :cloud9:

I hope the buyer purchased the CGC grader's notes.....seems odd to me if it had any chance to grade higher why the seller would not have had it sent back in himself.....so the inside may actually make the book a 5.0

I guess you have not been keeping up to date with some of the BA threads several months ago where there were some concerns with signifcant changes in grades as books were being resubbed for potential higher grades.

In some cases cited, CGC 9.2 graded books were cracked and resubbed, only to come back in some cases as CGC 8.0 and CGC 8.5 graded books.  Some 9.6 graded books were apparently now coming back as CGC 9.2 graded books.  And it seem the only way to get back the same grade or close to it was to do some "additional hidden undisclosed" work on the books.  The issue would seem to be related to different grading teams headed up by different personnel, changes to their undisclosed grading standards, etc. 

If you buy Graders' Notes for books graded nowadays, the 2 words that keep popping up over and over again, are creases and stresses, even though you sometimes can't even see them from the enlarged scans.  Certainly not the case before.  :gossip:  hm

Edited by lou_fine

23 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Those are some beauties 2 of them are some of my favorite covers of all-time the TEC 1 and TEC 29.

Well, it's quite obvious that you've got excellent taste there when it comes to the classic covers.  :golfclap:

Are you saying that you don't like the first appearance of Batman's "love toy" jumping right out at you on the cover of 'Tec 38?  (tsk)  lol

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it's quite obvious that you've got excellent taste there when it comes to the classic covers.  :golfclap:

Honestly TEC1 has always been my favorite book of all-time then comes TEC17 & TEC18.....but for me all TEC books numbered 50 and lower are beautiful pieces of art!! The TEC series is my favorite of all-time (I simply do not have to funds to collect it on a serious basis) then I would say Captain America Comics as far as GA goes. SA for me is Spidey all the way then X-Men.

But I rather not dive into GA books in the SA section and especially not in the AF15 thread.

Text

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

A PGX 7.0 just got listed at the CL Exchange with an asking price of $75k.  Let's see how high bids go... Book looks very nice for the grade, but we all know about the reputation of PGX :mad:

Agreed I just saw it very nice looking book but still is in a PGX holder so we will see.

4 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

A PGX 7.0 just got listed at the CL Exchange with an asking price of $75k.  Let's see how high bids go... Book looks very nice for the grade, but we all know about the reputation of PGX :mad:

It will be interesting because buying a book of this caliber graded by PGX carries an enormous amount of risk.  Who knows what they missed.  Who knows what a CGC resub would bring (Can't really see the book, the images are horrible).  

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

It will be interesting because buying a book of this caliber graded by PGX carries an enormous amount of risk.  Who knows what they missed.  Who knows what a CGC resub would bring (Can't really see the book, the images are horrible).  

Or maybe they did not miss anything and it is a solid 7.0 nobody really knows (not likely but possible)....a buyer may take a chance. Again the front and back cover look nice but who knows wants on the inside.

Seriously....

Seller's Grading Comments: Streaks on upper portion of book are from camera

Come on where talking about 75 000$ get some professional images this is 1/3 the price of a average house (here where I live anyway if you add the 33% conversion rate).

I bet you if he was the buyer he would require better images himself so why not offer the same when trying to sell it!!