• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Are you saying my CGC 6.5 is worth 30% less?

Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 6.5 Front.jpg

Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 6.5 Back.jpg

Not really, it only has one real marvel chip and like 3 pre chips (one on tops, 2 on side) where its just wearing. I would imagine those would effect it very minorly compared to full on saw-blade style marvel chips running along one side.

So how much percentage wise would my copy be worth less than say one without those issues on the front cover in the same grade? I am just trying to understand this so I can give a clear answer to my brother (since we own the book together).

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

57 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I think MC comes from the blade being used to Trim the book/cover. Once the blade became dull it wouldnt make clean cut but one that would wear stress cracks and lines not easily seen in the book when printed. Over time as the pages start to oxidize those imperfections cause cracks and eventually chips to fall off the edge where the blunted blade passed. This also can be tied to lesser paper quality I would assume as well. 

So Tbone's book would have appeared brand new on the stands, and the Marvel chipping happened over time because of dull blade usage?

Which leads me to another question, if it's ok to ask a comic related question on a comic related site without searching all over the internet, this about printing ink: I would imagine that after printing x amount of comics, ink would become low on the printer and  at some point books would not be as vibrant ink and color wise. All the comics I've ever seen all seem to have the same consistency ink wise, but at some point comics must have gotten "dimmer." How many comics thru the printer before this happens and are these comics hurt grade wise? 

31 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Not really, it only has one real marvel chip and like 3 pre chips (one on tops, 2 on side) where its just wearing. I would imagine those would effect it very minorly compared to full on saw-blade style marvel chips running along one side.

Whatever your book is worth or not worth super girlDC19591, that's one nice looking AF 15. (worship)

Edited by NoMan
still trying to figure out new boards

5 minutes ago, NoMan said:

So Tbone's book would have appeared brand new on the stands, and the Marvel chipping happened over time because of dull blade usage?

Which leads me to another question, if it's ok to ask a comic related question on a comic related site without searching all over the internet, this about printing ink: I would imagine that after printing x amount of comics, ink would become low on the printer and  at some point books would not be as vibrant ink and color wise. All the comics I've ever seen all seem to have the same consistency ink wise, but at some point comics must have gotten "dimmer." How many comics thru the printer before this happens and are these comics hurt grade wise? 

I don't think that would be an issue. Comics and publications in general were printed using 4 different printing plates: Black, Yellow, Cyan, Magenta. Each color broken down per plate and then applied to the comic. The combination produces the color cover (basically its a photo of the drawn art). The printing process as i understand in 4 color is continuous. The colors aren't those specific colors you see but combinations made by laying down layers of dots that form up to reproduce the color image. The ink in that process shouldn't run out, it should be continuously feed through the plate. reapplied continuously via some injection or gravity feed. The colors should be very consistent in general. Images might become off register as the plates shift out of alignment to the paper but the colors imbued on them should be the same consistently. The color shift comes from UV light breaking down the colors and and darkening up the paper.

That what you mean?

7 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I don't think that would be an issue. Comics and publications in general were printed using 4 different printing plates: Black, Yellow, Cyan, Magenta. Each color broken down per plate and then applied to the comic. The combination produces the color cover (basically its a photo of the drawn art). The printing process as i understand in 4 color is continuous. The colors aren't those specific colors you see but combinations made by laying down layers of dots that form up to reproduce the color image. The ink in that process shouldn't run out, it should be continuously feed through the plate. reapplied continuously via some injection or gravity feed. The colors should be very consistent in general. Images might become off register as the plates shift out of alignment to the paper but the colors imbued on them should be the same consistently. The color shift comes from UV light breaking down the colors and and darkening up the paper.

That what you mean?

Yes.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I was thinking about how the printer on my desk runs out of ink and how those last couple of pages reflect the running out of ink. I guess comic printing isn't that simplistic. 

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

Whatever your book is worth or not worth super girlDC19591, that's one nice looking AF 15. (worship)

Thanks the value is only of concern to me since my brother is not a comic book collector like I am but a investor (he does like reading comics and watching the movies but not intense like I am) so when he asks me about how things are going I don't want to look like a fool and not have a answer. I on the other hand truly love this hobby (and baseball cards as well).

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

As long as the chips don't get worse over time but like I said it will stay flat in my bank vault till the day comes to sell it so it will not be moving around at all.

18 hours ago, Moondog said:

Some of you know that I was the seller of the 5.0 that sold for $57K.  I told the couple who own it that the timing was perfect for this book.  I told them not to be shocked if it sold for $40-45K, but I was shocked at its final price.  This is such a beautiful thing for these nice people who truly need the money.  The owner of this book is going to get this reaction from everyone who sees it, "Wow!  That's a beautiful copy!"

In May 2014, I listed a 5.0 OW-W copy with no MC (or other significant problems) on the boards asking $16,500.  I ended up accepting $15,000 for it.  

I've been wrong (many times!) before ... but these price increases aren't sustainable.

Stein's Law:  "Anything that can't go on forever, won't go on forever." 

8 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

As long as the chips don't get worse over time but like I said it will stay flat in my bank vault till the day comes to sell it so it will not be moving around at all.

Stop taking it out to scan it all the time :baiting:

23 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Somehow this hobby (comics) has morphed into and/or created an interest in bank safe deposit boxes: their history, bank safe box thefts, how they survive various natural catastrophes, etc.

Weird, I know. ???

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

Somehow this hobby (comics) has morphed into and/or created an interest in bank safe deposit boxes: their history, bank safe box thefts, how they survive various natural catastrophes, etc.

Weird, I know. ???

Wish the world was not the way it is but bad people exist so I rather have the peace of mind overt the constant worry.

9 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Wish the world was not the way it is but bad people exist so I rather have the peace of mind overt the constant worry.

Don't get me started on my research into bank safe box thefts then!! :banana:

It happens, you know. 

12 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

lol my paranoia ends at safety deposit boxes.

My paranoia begins there. And technically it's "safe deposit box" not "Safety" box. It's a common misnomer. Just don't want you to go around not educated about safe deposit boxes!!!:banana:

Edited by NoMan
dancing bananas are needed in every post

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

My paranoia begins there. And technically it's "safe deposit box" not "Safety" box. It's a common misnomer. Just don't want you to go around not educated about safe deposit boxes!!!:banana:

would like to hear about your research please...

6 minutes ago, pins79 said:

would like to hear about your research please...

There's a thread I stared in Comics General about which 10 of my HIGH DOLLAR  books should go in my bank safe deposit box. You can revive it there if you want and I'll go on about my in-depth bank safe deposit box research. And on, and on and on...