• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Tbone911t said:

Back from Sarasota! Out of the Voldy holder (I liked the discount)! Same grade, goes well with my 2.0. Wonder if I could trade both for a 5.5...........

smaf15.jpg

Well, all I can say is that this CGC 3.5 looks completely different from the GA 3.0's and 3.5's that were coming out from the Sarasota factory during the latter part of 2016.  :whatthe:

Maybe they forgot to look at the right edge of this book or is this simply considered to be Marvel chipping and ignored when it comes to determining the final grade.  (shrug)

:idea:    Or maybe it's just a swing back to the soft grading period and time to submit books to CGC again.  hm

55 minutes ago, Tbone911t said:

Back from Sarasota! Out of the Voldy holder (I liked the discount)! Same grade, goes well with my 2.0. Wonder if I could trade both for a 5.5...........

smaf15.jpg

Awesome! 

12 minutes ago, NoMan said:
1 hour ago, Tbone911t said:

smaf15.jpg

Awesome! 

It does look pretty nice except for some of the wear around the edges and spine.  I assume it must be pretty solid inside, considering the grade

Sounds as though Tbone has been building up his arsenal of affordable AF 15's before they took the huge jump in price.  :golfclap:

23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, all I can say is that this CGC 3.5 looks completely different from the GA 3.0's and 3.5's that were coming out from the Sarasota factory during the latter part of 2016.  :whatthe:

Maybe they forgot to look at the right edge of this book or is this simply considered to be Marvel chipping and ignored when it comes to determining the final grade.  (shrug)

:idea:    Or maybe it's just a swing back to the soft grading period and time to submit books to CGC again.  hm

Was only graded last week. If you see the other books I had done (General - back from CGC) they seem pretty bang on what the consensus was in the PGM threads and what I felt they would grade out at. They hammered my HOS 92 for tanning that's for sure. Seems they don't down grade the MC as bad. Here the notes from CGC :

Heavy marvel chipping full right of front cover

Light readers crease front cover

light,multiple crease full top of front cover breaks color

light, multiple crease left top of back cover

light, multiple crease right bottom of back cover

light, multiple crease right bottom of front cover breaks color

very small, multiple tear full bottom of back cover

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

a question about Marvel Chipping: When Tbone911t's AF 15 went on the stands in 1962, did it have the chipping then, brand new?

That's a great question and something I never thought of. Would like to hear a response from someone who knows as well during that time.  

3 minutes ago, Tbone911t said:

Was only graded last week. If you see the other books I had done (General - back from CGC) they seem pretty bang on what the consensus was in the PGM threads and what I felt they would grade out at. They hammered my HOS 92 for tanning that's for sure. Seems they don't down grade the MC as bad. Here the notes from CGC :

Heavy marvel chipping full right of front cover

Light readers crease front cover

light,multiple crease full top of front cover breaks color

light, multiple crease left top of back cover

light, multiple crease right bottom of back cover

light, multiple crease right bottom of front cover breaks color

very small, multiple tear full bottom of back cover

It's always good to have the Graders' Notes because you really can't accurately grade a book from just a scan, as opposed to having the actual book in hand.  Like I had figured, there appears to be no issues at all that was worth noting in terms of the interior.  (thumbsu

Interesting to note that out of the 7 comments made by the graders, 5 of them were all about creases.  Should not be a surprise here since the grading team is now apparently headed up by the guy that used to own and operate CCS, and their main focus was all about eliminating creases, stresses, and spine ticks.  hm

10 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I'm seriously thinking about submitting my copy to CGC for grading to relinquish it from the Voldy label...

what's the Voldy grade? What grade do think it is?

Edited by NoMan
typo

4 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:
8 minutes ago, NoMan said:

a question about Marvel Chipping: When Tbone911t's AF 15 went on the stands in 1962, did it have the chipping then, brand new?

That's a great question and something I never thought of. Would like to hear a response from someone who knows as well during that time.  

That's actually a very strange and rather mystifying question to be asking.

Have you not seen countless scans of HG copies of AF 15's that do not exhibit any evidence at all of Marvel chipping, including many of the pedigree copies like the Curator and the Pacific Coast?  ???

And that is exactly why I do not understand CGC's rationale for either not taking or downplaying the impact of Marvel chipping when it comes to determining the final grade for the book.  :screwy:

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Have you not seen countless scans of HG copies of AF 15's that do not exhibit any evidence at all of Marvel chipping, including many of the pedigree copies like the Curator and the Pacific Coast?  ???

And that is exactly why I do not understand CGC's rationale for either not taking or downplaying the impact of Marvel chipping when it comes to determining the final grade for the book.  :screwy:

Just making conversation. Thought I'd ask.

15 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Don't apologize for asking a question when you don't know the answer.  The one who should be apologizing is the one who gave the sarcastic reply (tsk)

Edited by Jordysnordy

I think MC comes from the blade being used to Trim the book/cover. Once the blade became dull it wouldnt make clean cut but one that would wear stress cracks and lines not easily seen in the book when printed. Over time as the pages start to oxidize those imperfections cause cracks and eventually chips to fall off the edge where the blunted blade passed. This also can be tied to lesser paper quality I would assume as well. 

10 minutes ago, NoMan said:
14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not a problem at all as it's always good to have a conversation.  (thumbsu

It just seems strange to me why CGC would take this stance with respect to Marvel chipping since they seem to take the complete opposite approach to the poor printing issues associated with Cerebus 1.

In fact, even Overstreet states clearly in the price guide that most issues of the small 2,000 print run for Cerebus 1 were "poorly printed".  I am actually not aware or have seen any scans of Cerebus 1 without the notorious spine ticks that were brought off the newsstand.  And yet CGC seemingly continues to downgrade all copies of this book for these production/distribution related defects on the rationale that since Dave Sim was able to scoured the entire print run to locate the few copies that did not have these defects, then they should be fully taken into account in the determination of the final grade.  :screwy:

3 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Are you saying my CGC 6.5 is worth 30% less?

Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 6.5 Front.jpg

Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 6.5 Back.jpg

There are varying degrees of marvel chipping. Kind of like slight vs extensive. While any mc should affect value, the more chipping the lower the value