• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Nice eye appeal is one thing but a 5.0 is still a 5.0 at the end of the day and it is now at 57 000$......if it could have been upgraded the previous owner would have done so himself.

How could you possibly know that?

As I said, the 9.0 had many improvable defects and they weren't improved.

49 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

50 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

This pick up is looking pretty good. The last 3 7.5 sales have an average of $85K but after tonight's frenzy who knows what a nice presenting copy will fetch.

Complete and utter shock ! The only reaction I can come up with. And of course elation that I held onto my 3 copies for the last several years. Guess I know where the retirement fund is coming from in 15 years if bubble doesn't burst before then  (shrug):wishluck:

12 minutes ago, peewee22 said:
17 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I looked at the CC 9.0 copy extensively while in NYC. The book has an unpressed back cover crease and lots of back cover dirt. I even thought that it may not look out of place in a 'loose 9.2' holder. That alone might make the price strong for the sale. Again, probably not a good copy to use as a normal price point.

It's hard to project the price range on AF15s above 8.0. What used to the +-10k is now +-25k and climbing. Simply amazing indeed.

My point still stands. If the market is moved by improvable copies (which many of these auction copies look to be) and creates a panic, and that spills over to unimprovable copies it's not indicative of the actual market.

If the market is so hot for AF #15's, why did 3 x 6.5 copies, all with terrific eye appeal and no chipping sell in the neighborhood of $50K just in the last few months?

I'm not trying to poo-poo AF #15's. It's a great book. I'm just trying to understand the price movement.

So would it be fair to say the nicest presenting copies for each grade bring the new highest price and those with minor defects in the same grade bring about 90% of that price.....then those with a lot of chipping bring about 70% of the highest price for that grade?

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

1 minute ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

So would it be fair to say the nicest presenting copies for each grade bring the new highest price and those with minor defects in the same grade bring about 90% of that price.....then those with a lot of chipping bring about 30% less than the highest price for that grade?

Prices are all over the board right now. I think we need to swallow what's happened and analyze the sales data later. I'm not sure we can understand what's going on with current sales of AF15.

1 hour ago, peewee22 said:

Prices are all over the board right now. I think we need to swallow what's happened and analyze the sales data later. I'm not sure we can understand what's going on with current sales of AF15.

I don't mean for the current sales I mean in general for AF15's based on a perfect looking copy versus a very nice looking copy versus a nice looking copy versus a not so nice looking copy all in the same grade.

28 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

anyone have a link for the 5.0?

Is this the copy you are referring to:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=700363&title=AMAZINGFANTASY

Hard to tell since there were a total of 5 complete copies in CC's auction today, with the first 3 apparently doing very well and the last 2, probably not so much due to their associated issues. 

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:
11 hours ago, zhamlau said:

If the 9.0 holds true to that 60-75% increase across the board pricing from 2014 to today....then it should sell for 340k or more.

As the approaching hours get closer, I am starting to lean to the school of thought that this copy might not be able to crack the $300K $400K mark.  (shrug)

Not sure why, but maybe there's just been too many nice copies showing up in too short of a time frame.  hm

Can't wait to see as I guess we'll all find out soon enough.  :taptaptap:

Well, it looks like we got a clear answer here, as AF 15's would appear to be as hot as ever.  :flipbait:

Oh wait......my bad as it looks like I made a small little typo up there in my rush to post earlier.  :facepalm:  lol

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it looks like we got a clear answer here, as AF 15's would appear to be as hot as ever.  :flipbait:

Oh wait......my bad as it looks like I made a small little typo up there in my rush to post earlier.  :facepalm:  lol

We like what is going on but scarey at the same time. 

1.jpg

1 hour ago, peewee22 said:

We like what is going on but scarey at the same time. 

1.jpg

Gotta wonder when Hulk 1 will jump back into the game. Right no it is not even close anymore in mid to lower grades.

1 hour ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

For comparison purposes, this is absolute proof that not all 5.0's, or any grades for that matter, are created graded equally:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=700363&title=AMAZINGFANTASY

Hence, maybe not so much of a bargain after all.  :gossip:

Remember, it's always wise to buy the book, as opposed to blindly buying the label.  hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

For comparison purposes, this is absolute proof that not all 5.0's, or any grades for that matter, are created graded equally:

Remember, it's always wise to buy the book, as opposed to blindly buying the label.  hm

Yes but it went from 21 500$ up to 28 000$ tonight and my guess it will sell for 29 500$. Still not a bad looking 5.0.....not like the one that sold for 57 000$ tonight but at half the price seems OK to me.

2 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:
5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes but it went from 21 500$ up to 28 000$ tonight and my guess it will sell for 29 500$. Still not a bad looking 5.0.....not like the one that sold for 57 000$ tonight but at half the price seems OK to me.

Yes, but not talking about price here, so much as talking about the grades since this is what we are paying CGC to do.  hm

Strictly from a eye appeal point of view, the difference in the visual appearance between the 2 equally graded books at CGC 5.0 is almost like night and day.  I will admit though that the scan for the CL copy seems to be terrible and faded since it was hard for me to even read the serial number.  doh!

Yes, but not talking about price here, so much as talking about the grades since this is what we are paying CGC to do.  hm

Strictly from a eye appeal point of view, the difference in the visual appearance between the 2 equally graded books at CGC 5.0 is almost like night and day.  I will admit though that the scan for the CL copy seems to be terrible and faded since it was hard for me to even read the serial number.  doh!

CGC some times really makes it hard for us but we do not know how bad the inside of the 5.0 is that sold for 57 000$.....could be real bad.

2 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:
4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

CGC some times really makes it hard for us but we do not know how bad the inside of the 5.0 is that sold for 57 000$.....could be real bad.

Most definitely and that is exactly why I hope any potential bidders for these big dollar books spend the few extra bucks to purchase the Graders' Notes before bidding.

Of course, there's also the other possibility that one book might have been graded during a so-called loose grading time period while the other book was graded during a so-called tight grading time period.  Seems that the 5.0 copy that sold today through CC was graded during the latter part of 2016 where we are seeing so many gorgeous looking books that seems to present much nicer than their assigned grades from an visual eye appeal point of view.  hm  :cloud9:

Most definitely and that is exactly why I hope any potential bidders for these big dollar books spend the few extra bucks to purchase the Graders' Notes before bidding.

Of course, there's also the other possibility that one book might have been graded during a so-called loose grading time period while the other book was graded during a so-called tight grading time period.  Seems that the 5.0 copy that sold today through CC was graded during the latter part of 2016 where we are seeing so many gorgeous looking books that seems to present much nicer than their assigned grades from an visual eye appeal point of view.  hm  :cloud9:

I hope the buyer purchased the CGC grader's notes.....seems odd to me if it had any chance to grade higher why the seller would not have had it sent back in himself.....so the inside may actually make the book a 5.0