• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

Just now, VintageComics said:

If I knew it was him I wouldn't have replied.

doh!

Oh Lord what is the difference!! Are you a 2 year old trowing a fit!!

Edited by SC22

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Even chipped copies are rising. I don't believe it is all "upgradeable" because it is not 100% guarantee.

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Even chipped copies are rising. I don't believe it is all "upgradeable" because it is not 100% guarantee.

Please reread Roy's (Vintagecomics) post, that is not what he said. He said the rise in prices was STARTED by some specific upgradeable books going for way over FMV . This led to the impression demand was that strong.  

Edited by Bomber-Bob

1 minute ago, Captain Canuck said:

I thought AF15 was? Just curious. You change your name frequently. 

No twice in over 2 years. AF15 is one of my top all time favorites but for some odd reason I prefer SC22 ever since I purchased mine...the cover is just very cool and I enjoy reading green lantern comics now as well.

Edited by SC22

1 minute ago, SC22 said:

No twice in over 2 years. AF15 is one of my top all time favorites but for some odd reason I prefer SC22 ever since I purchased mine...the cover is just very cool and I enjoy reading green lantern comics now as well.

What's your next major pickup or rising star book?

5 minutes ago, Captain Canuck said:

I am hoping for a mid grade FF1. Not really a investment (it has been dead for a few years now) book but I just like it!! I would not mind a TOS39 as well some day in CGC 7.0 or CGC 8.0.

Then that will most likely be it for me as far as key books go....then I will just focus on continuing to build my baseball card set. I would love to own a SC4 but they are just to expensive now.

Edited by SC22

14 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

It's a baseline in the sense that the rest of the market is now adjusting to those record CC prices.

As I said earlier today, the 7.5 is a very nice looking copy. Don't think it will upgrade but under this new frenzy, and because it's a nice looking copy it will sell for a strong number.

Again, as I said earlier the 6.5 has lots of stuff that looks fixable - back cover has pressable defects, dirt that can be remove AND the front cover is very clean looking.

This is the type of copy that sets a record.

I guess I'm pretty much a loner when it comes to buying an "upgradeable" book. I buy the book at face value, not what it can become later.  2c 

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Please reread Roy's (Vintagecomics) post, that is not what he said. He said the rise in prices was STARTED by some specific upgradeable books going for way over FMV . This led to the impression demand was that strong.  

Yes, I know what Roy said and understood his post.  I get that a book that can be upgradeable can artificially sell for more than what that book sold for in its grade.  In this case the CGC 4.5 copy in the past CC auction.  Some said it looks like a 5.0 or high, which it does and therefore it set the bar for what a 4.5 copy should sell for.  I have seen and bought books with upgradeable defects, but it doesn't mean that it is the new standard price.  

1 minute ago, Jordysnordy said:

A front and back cover - with the front missing approximately 1/3 of it - just sold on eBay tonight for $1581.98 :ohnoez:

At least it gives a chance for someone to own part of a AF15.....I know I would love to own just the cover of a TEC27.

1 minute ago, peewee22 said:

I guess I'm pretty much a loner when it comes to buying an "upgradeable" book. I buy the book at face value, not what it can become later.  2c 

Neither do I never even crossed my mind to be honest. I live in Canada so I would not even bother doing it even if it could grade say 1 point higher.

Edited by SC22

On 4/17/2017 at 4:40 PM, gadzukes said:

OK, this one seems a bit "scammy" to me. Tell me if you agree.  

A PGX AF 15 "Back Cover Only" on ebay.  It already has 10 bidders and the bidding is over $100 with a day left.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's no way to know for sure if that's an AF15 back cover.  It could be, but it could also be a Kid Colt 106, or a TTA 35 or 36, or a TOS 33 or 34.  Right?

Has CGC ever slabbed an AF15 back cover?  It would be one thing if the spine partially wrapped around to a piece of the front cover, but this one goes no further than a tiny piece of the black line that many comics have going down the spine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-PGX-Back-Cover-Only-1st-App-of-Spider-Man-1962-Original-/201880267594?hash=item2f01006b4a:g:MHUAAOSwfVpYugGz

So this ended up going for $220 tonight.  Go start stocking up on your copies of Kid Colt 106, rip off the back covers, and start sending them into PGX to get rich.

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:
8 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Could the run up be due to the upcoming movie????   I thought that AF15 was pretty much "movie-hype/spec proof".  

If the run up was due to movie interest across the board you'd see rising prices across the board in many venues (as Foolkiller said earlier).

We didn't see record prices on eBay before that or on other venues because the demand wasn't there.

If you look at it forensically the run up in price IMO was specifically due to improvable copies giving the impression that demand is crazy and then other markets begin to follow as people panic to buy a copy because they believe that they'll be priced out. 

My only issue with this idea, is that the prices have been so high...even if you get an upgrade in numeric grade after dropping some coin on press...it still wont get to the traditional grade needed to justify these prices...like basically you couldn't realistically upgrade these book ENOUGH to justify the prices sole based on that...

And yeah I get that the overall "rising tide" argument that is in play for later copies and their price jump. But the initial 2-3 books that seemed to be the canary in the coalmine for all this drama...i dont know if you could upgrade them enough to a point it would justify the prices they were getting (what do you think you can move a 5.0 to a few month back to justify 57k? full on 6.5?)

Edited by zhamlau

8 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

My only issue with this idea, is that the prices have been so high...even if you get an upgrade in numeric grade after dropping some coin on press...it still wont get to the traditional grade needed to justify these prices...like basically you couldnt realistically upgrade these book ENOUGH to justify the prices sole based on that..

I agree, it's a lot of risk but this is how those that play the game play it.

If the 9.0 that sold for almost $400K upgrades to 9.2 and a 9.2 just sold for $450K, that's still a $50K profit, right?

25 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I agree, it's a lot of risk but this is how those that play the game play it.

If the 9.0 that sold for almost $400K upgrades to 9.2 and a 9.2 just sold for $450K, that's still a $50K profit, right?

Roy

Is pressing a flat fee or based on the book's upgradeable potential value?

Ex: Pressing a 5.0 Spidey 1 the same cost as pressing an AF 7.5?

8 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Roy

Is pressing a flat fee or based on the book's upgradeable potential value?

Ex: Pressing a 5.0 Spidey 1 the same cost as pressing an AF 7.5?

I know you're asking Roy, but hope that you won't mind me answering your question.

Depends on who presses the book.  If you have CCS press, they charge have different charges depending on tier.  You can see how much they charge here: http://ccspaper.com/fee_table.php

CFP aka Joey I believe charges a standard flat fee based on tier, at least the last time I had a book pressed by him.  Not sure about others.

2 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I know you're asking Roy, but hope that you won't mind me answering your question.

Depends on who presses the book.  If you have CCS press, they charge have different charges depending on tier.  You can see how much they charge here: http://ccspaper.com/fee_table.php

CFP aka Joey I believe charges a standard flat fee based on tier, at least the last time I had a book pressed by him.  Not sure about others.

That'll work DK. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck said:

To be honest I don't expect anything money wise from my other key books I just enjoy owning them and if they turn a profit so be it. The only book I own that I felt should turn a good profit is my AF15....and why shouldn't I....it's the #3 book in the entire hobby so my expectations are much higher. The only other book I own that I feel that is very undervalued is my SC22....but I am not putting all my hopes up I will just let it do what it has to do over time.....in the mean time I love owning it....it has become my favorite book of the SA....I simply love the cover art!!

Same with the baseball cards I collect I do not care for their value I just enjoy building a set and looking at them when I get a chance (they are also in my bank vault except for a few I display). If I only cared about value I would be buying as many 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle rookies as I could get my hands on.....same goes for comic books I would sell all my key books and only buy AF15's.

Reading baseball books is my #1 enjoyment I own almost 100 of them in my library and keep added some here and there. Then in #2 come my marvel masterworks and DC archives.

Edited by SC22