• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,483 posts in this topic

OK, this one seems a bit "scammy" to me. Tell me if you agree.  

A PGX AF 15 "Back Cover Only" on ebay.  It already has 10 bidders and the bidding is over $100 with a day left.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's no way to know for sure if that's an AF15 back cover.  It could be, but it could also be a Kid Colt 106, or a TTA 35 or 36, or a TOS 33 or 34.  Right?

Has CGC ever slabbed an AF15 back cover?  It would be one thing if the spine partially wrapped around to a piece of the front cover, but this one goes no further than a tiny piece of the black line that many comics have going down the spine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-PGX-Back-Cover-Only-1st-App-of-Spider-Man-1962-Original-/201880267594?hash=item2f01006b4a:g:MHUAAOSwfVpYugGz

s-l1600-53.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

A PGX AF 15 "Back Cover Only" on ebay.  It already has 10 bidders and the bidding is over $100 with a day left.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's no way to know for sure if that's an AF15 back cover.  It could be, but it could also be a Kid Colt 106, or a TTA 35 or 36, or a TOS 33 or 34.  Right?

Has CGC ever slabbed an AF15 back cover?  It would be one thing if the spine partially wrapped around to a piece of the front cover, but this one goes no further than a tiny piece of the black line that many comics have going down the spine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-PGX-Back-Cover-Only-1st-App-of-Spider-Man-1962-Original-/201880267594?hash=item2f01006b4a:g:MHUAAOSwfVpYugGz

s-l1600-53.jpg

one mans trash is another mans treasure right?lol Sad to think someone would go to this length to own part of a AF 15(like you said if it REALLY IS)

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

s-l1600-53.jpg

Next thing will be for people to sell the broken off pieces of their marvel chipping!

13 minutes ago, Magneto said:

Next thing will be for people to sell the broken off pieces of their marvel chipping!

Hahahaha!! Then comes AF15 dust.....only available threw PGX grading!! Then comes scratch and sniff AF15's....if you can't own it you can smell it will be the moto!!

Edited by SC22

15 minutes ago, Philreal said:

one mans trash is another mans treasure right?lol Sad to think someone would go to this length to own part of a AF 15(like you said if it REALLY IS)

Could this be the back cover of a JIM 83? Whos to say it belongs to an AF15?

23 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Could this be the back cover of a JIM 83? Whos to say it belongs to an AF15?

My point is, that this could be the back cover of an inexpensive comic like Kid Colt 106.  You can pick up that comic for $10-$20, rip off the back cover and send it in to PGX and apparently call it an AF15 back cover.  And people are bidding on it :screwy::insane:(shrug):facepalm:

Edited by gadzukes

1 minute ago, gadzukes said:

My point is, that this could be the back cover of an inexpensive comic like Kid Colt 106.  You can pick up that comic for $10-$20, rip off the back cover and send it in to PGX and apparently call it an AF15 back cover.  And people are bidding on it :screwy:

*runs, buys every copy of Kid Colt 106 on Ebay...*

5 hours ago, Drummy said:

Man, spider-mania is upon us!  

D

Even at these prices AF15 is still very cheap compared to AC1 and TEC27. I know these 2 books are much rarer but still AF15 is the #3 book in the hobby and there are more than enough Spidey collectors to ''always'' outpace supply.

Edited by SC22

3 hours ago, SC22 said:

Even at these prices AF15 is still very cheap compared to AC1 and TEC27. I know these 2 books are much rarer but still AF15 is the #3 book in the hobby and there are more than enough Spidey collectors to ''always'' outpace supply.

I believe you have answered your own question here.  :gossip:

From reading this thread here, it appears that most of the boardies posting here already have a copy (if not more than 1) of this book in their collection. 

On the other hand, I can say with almost certainty that theses same board members here do not have any copy of either Action 1 or 'Tec 27 in their personal collection. 

Edited by lou_fine

Chipped up copies and low grade seems to be selling very strong as of late which sort of blows up my "looks good on Facebook" theory on recent price spikes. I'm now not as sure whats pushing these prices.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I believe you have answered your own question here.  :gossip:

From reading this thread here, it appears that most of the boardies posting here already have a copy (if not more than 1) of this book in their collection. 

On the other hand, I can say with almost certainty that theses same board members here do not have any copy of either Action 1 or 'Tec 27 in their personal collection. 

But I stand by my statement AF15 still has a lot of room to grow.

4 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Chipped up copies and low grade seems to be selling very strong as of late which sort of blows up my "looks good on Facebook" theory on recent price spikes. I'm now not as sure whats pushing these prices.

Those without a copy are settling for any copy they can afford before the prices are out of reach? (shrug)

5 hours ago, zhamlau said:

It's called "entry level" ...normal demand and pricing strategies don't always follow in a linear manner , often times due to cost

sure, most would prefer to spend 20k on a vg, for example, but might only have half that available and thus be willing to spend entire 10k on a fr, just to "enter" and have "a" copy

this is just an example and not meant to be representative of actual current fmv

Edited by G.A.tor

11 hours ago, SC22 said:

I know these 2 books are much rarer but still AF15 is the #3 book in the hobby and there are more than enough Spidey collectors to ''always'' outpace supply.

AC1 CGC census = 67 copies

'tec 27 CGC census = 65 copies

AF15 CGC census = 2686 copies

Just thought I'd show the rarity comparison according to the census.

On 2017-04-15 at 9:47 PM, Spiderturtle said:

Weird stuff is happening over at cc.  Your copy beats easily beats that cc copy

They have an interesting strategy.

Most of the record setting copies last month had improvable defects and potentially improvable grades and those books led the way. Remember, I looked at the 9.0 and thought it had a shot at 9.2 after improvement, which is why I believe it sold for 9.1 price.

So those books set record highs and then people who don't think about or know about improvement will panic to get a copy, driving up prices on non-improvable copies.

Again in this auction, the 7.5 looks terrific for the grade (although I don't see it going to 8.0) but it's high grade enough to draw serious bidding fire (I always stated that I believe 'high grade' starts in the VF range and this book falls squarely in the VF range) and the 6.5 does indeed look like it has improvable defects - the back cover doesn't look pressed, the cover looks dirty, etc AND it has a very nice looking front cover.

So I think you can expect another round of very strong auction prices based on the strategy.

What I don't understand is why books on the market haven't sold at these prices before those record sales last month. And THAT is the real question .

On 3/31/2017 at 2:50 PM, ProcessedMeatMan said:

Being pressed now, so I won't know what it ends up being for about a month or so I would imagine. It was a CBCS 6.5. I'm just hoping it stays at least a 6.5... I'm not expecting miracles lol

Just a quick update, if anyone was curious about this detour from three weeks ago. I got my Avengers 4 grade back from CGC. It was a CBCS 6.5. I cracked it, had it pressed... and it came back a 6.0... haha

My streak is officially over! I'm a little bummed, but a .5 loss isn't the end of the world on this book. It is interesting that my previous CBCS resubmissions were small fry books in comparison and they all received a .5 bump ,while this when went down the same amount. And this one was pressed!

I also had an FF4 CGC 4.0 get bumped up to a 5.0, so I think I'll survive the disappointment. 

18 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Those sellers are about as shady as they come. Plenty of stories about their scamming on these forums.