• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

Definitely no stopping the high speeding train. Every year I always think to myself that the ship has sailed and it's too late to buy a copy as prices are too strong.... And every year i'm proved wrong, so now I'll just believe that the ship hasn't sailed yet lol

There is no other SA key book besides Showcase 4 from the years 2015 & 2016 that has performed this well in recent years.

Edited by Dark Knight

5 hours ago, ProcessedMeatMan said:

Just a quick update, if anyone was curious about this detour from three weeks ago. I got my Avengers 4 grade back from CGC. It was a CBCS 6.5. I cracked it, had it pressed... and it came back a 6.0... haha

My streak is officially over! I'm a little bummed, but a .5 loss isn't the end of the world on this book. It is interesting that my previous CBCS resubmissions were small fry books in comparison and they all received a .5 bump ,while this when went down the same amount. And this one was pressed!

I also had an FF4 CGC 4.0 get bumped up to a 5.0, so I think I'll survive the disappointment. 

sounds like the Avengers 4 didn't really have any pressable defects. Just cause it's pressed doesn't mean an automatic grade bump. 

27 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

sounds like the Avengers 4 didn't really have any pressable defects. Just cause it's pressed doesn't mean an automatic grade bump. 

Yep. I already presented my case when I subbed my AF 15 to cgc that I cracked open from a cbcs slab. It's a case by case situation.

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Definitely no stopping the high speeding train. Every year I always think to myself that the ship has sailed and it's too late to buy a copy as prices are too strong.... And every year i'm proved wrong, so now I'll just believe that the ship hasn't sailed yet lol

There is no other SA key book besides Showcase 4 from the years 2015 & 2016 that has performed this well in recent years.

Besides the Hope diamond, I can't think of a better collectible to own. :banana:

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Could the run up be due to the upcoming movie????   I thought that AF15 was pretty much "movie-hype/spec proof".  

I wouldn't discount this at all. I'm sure there are new players being drawn in by the movie hype. And I would imagine there is the also the possibility that they wouldn't be aware of PQ and MC and their impact on pricing, which may explain some prices we are seeing on copies with less than optimal eye appeal. 

Movies may bring it to mind from marketing, etc., but IMO, solid characters/key books shouldn't be impacted a lot by the noise.  Did XMEN1 move around a lot when the movies came out?  I'd guess the majority of people who are buying AF15 are doing so regardless of a movie trailer, just my guess though.

22 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

I remember when I got my copy, I was pretty thrilled . Still am.   

Same here...not a single regret!! Hulk 1 is bound to explode as well it has fallen to far behind AF15 in mid to lower grades.....some other books should also pick up like SC22, BB28, TOS39, JIM83 and so on these are pretty cheap compared to AF15, Hulk 1 and SC4. Some of these books have no increased much in the last 2-3 years. Some other key SA books have not seen much of a  increase in value in even longer like X-Men #1 and ASM #1.

Edited by SC22

46 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

I wouldn't discount this at all. I'm sure there are new players being drawn in by the movie hype. And I would imagine there is the also the possibility that they wouldn't be aware of PQ and MC and their impact on pricing, which may explain some prices we are seeing on copies with less than optimal eye appeal. 

I am sure that is the case for some of these sales but not all of them for sure.

4 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Could the run up be due to the upcoming movie????   I thought that AF15 was pretty much "movie-hype/spec proof".  

If the run up was due to movie interest across the board you'd see rising prices across the board in many venues (as Foolkiller said earlier).

We didn't see record prices on eBay before that or on other venues because the demand wasn't there.

If you look at it forensically the run up in price IMO was specifically due to improvable copies giving the impression that demand is crazy and then other markets begin to follow as people panic to buy a copy because they believe that they'll be priced out. 

The notion that the sole reason that AF 15 is experiencing a pricing surge is because evidently any copy that sells for a strong price simply must be "upgradeable" is a rather absurd generalization that presumes a lot, based on virtually no tangible evidence and is demonstrably false with regard to almost every copy in question.  

What triggered this price surge?   The same thing that triggered the Hulk 1 price surge a couple years ago.  Two very strong, unexpectedly high sales results in 9.0+ grades that got everybody's attention, creating a fresh demand that has rolled all the way down to the lowest grades.  Yes a certain element of panic buying has now also set in, but that's often what you get when a book jumps in price a bit. Do copies with nice "eye appeal" sell for more ?  Of course.  It's generally always been like that, nothing new there.  But just because a copy had nice eye appeal doesn't mean that it's "upgradeable" or that somebody is paying what they pay for that purpose.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

If the run up was due to movie interest across the board you'd see rising prices across the board in many venues (as Foolkiller said earlier).

We didn't see record prices on eBay before that or on other venues because the demand wasn't there.

If you look at it forensically the run up in price IMO was specifically due to improvable copies giving the impression that demand is crazy and then other markets begin to follow as people panic to buy a copy because they believe that they'll be priced out. 

I think you have good points!  I do think those books where bid up with expectations of upgrading.  I also think the 2 big sales J mentioned are a factor as well.  The movie appearance and 1st Marvel controlled solo have also helped.  It has been the perfect storm. 

9 hours ago, VintageComics said:

What I don't understand is why books on the market haven't sold at these prices before those record sales last month. And THAT is the real question .

Most probably because those other comic book sites are not as high profile as the 3 major comic book auction sites, especially when it comes to Metro and CC.

And as I have stated before, I believe that CC is the market leader at setting record prices when it comes to high in-demand books like AF 15 and the pre-Robin 'Tec books.  Most probably due to their long and deep connections in the comic book marketplace which facilitates flushing out books from big established consignors and also having an extensive clientele list with very deep pockets to sell to.  hm

3 hours ago, SC22 said:
3 hours ago, peewee22 said:

Besides the Hope diamond, I can't think of a better collectible to own. :banana:

Agreed!!

Might not be the best analogy here.

I am quite sure that the Hope Diamond is in a class all its own and as a result, probably doing quite well investment wise.  The same certainly cannot be said for the diamond market as a whole, since this market has dropped significantly over the past few decades.

With the AF 15 market at a red hot fever, it looks like all copies of AF 15 in all condition grades are rising across the board, with this increase not just being limited to the top copies only.  (thumbsu

15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Might not be the best analogy here.

I am quite sure that the Hope Diamond is in a class all its own and as a result, probably doing quite well investment wise.  The same certainly cannot be said for the diamond market as a whole, since this market has dropped significantly over the past few decades.

With the AF 15 market at a red hot fever, it looks like all copies of AF 15 in all condition grades are rising across the board, with this increase not just being limited to the top copies only.  (thumbsu

I think there is a joke here Lou. doh!