• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Anyone got a quarter Mil for the 7.5 just listed on ComicLink ?

Linky

That's beyond insane. Someone is beyond delusional. This (AF15 stuff) makes no sense whatsoever. I'm all for comics increasing in value but something is seriously wrong here. 

Edited by NoMan

31 minutes ago, NoMan said:

That's beyond insane. Someone is beyond delusional. This (AF15 stuff) makes no sense whatsoever. I'm all for comics increasing in value but something is seriously wrong here. 

Same here and who would have thought I would say that!! A CGC 7.5 in my opinion is not worth that much not at this point in time anyway maybe in a few more years but not now!! If the book is a members here I am sorry for saying this but it simply not worth almost 250 000$....not in 2017. I think some sellers are just hoping to land that other high bidder on the CGC 8.0 AF15 that sold for 261 000$.....hoping the guy says ah what the hell I can buy a CGC 7.5 for say 200 000$ to 225 000$ instead of that other CGC 8.0 that is for sale on ComicLink. But if that is the case and you someone gets that kind of money hats off to them enjoy it!!

Edited by SC22

Seeing these dumb asking prices on this book is a big turn off - I can't imagine wanting to pick up a higher grade copy of this book right now. Have a hard time believing the next 8.0 that comes up for sale comes close to that 261K price.

3 minutes ago, TeddieMercede said:

Seeing these dumb asking prices on this book is a big turn off - I can't imagine wanting to pick up a higher grade copy of this book right now. Have a hard time believing the next 8.0 that comes up for sale comes close to that 261K price.

A really nice looking CGC 8.0 CVA (with white pages or just simply a stunning copy or both combined) may hit in the 240 000$ to 250 000$ range but a CGC 7.5 is not worth 242 500$ right now maybe like I said in a few years it will. 

Edited by SC22

17 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Anyone got a quarter Mil for the 7.5 just listed on ComicLink ?

Linky

Well, it does seem to present quite nicely for a CGC 7.5 graded copy.

Unfortunately, it looks like they can't afford to do a back cover scan at that price point.  lol

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it does seem to present quite nicely for a CGC 7.5 graded copy.

Unfortunately, it looks like they can't afford to do a back cover scan at that price point.  lol

I never understood that takes just a few minutes. ComicLink should force all sellers to have a clear back and front pictures of the book they are selling.

Edited by SC22

19 hours ago, SC22 said:

A CGC 7.5 in my opinion is not worth that much not at this point in time anyway maybe in a few more years but not now!! If the book is a members here I am sorry for saying this but it simply not worth almost 250 000$....not in 2017.

16 hours ago, SC22 said:

A really nice looking CGC 8.0 CVA (with white pages or just simply a stunning copy or both combined) may hit in the 240 000$ to 250 000$ range but a CGC 7.5 is not worth 242 500$ right now maybe like I said in a few years it will. 

Well, since most board members here are stating that the AF 15 market is in the midst of a gigantic bubble right now, I guess this should be the best time to ask for an outrageous price instead of waiting a few years from now.  hm

Especially since bubbles are bound to burst eventually and the CGC 7.5 market might be back down under the $100K mark by then.  :tonofbricks:

Assuming this is all a bubble and the people paying these prices are somehow foolishly throwing away money on these books at these prices (what we are implying)....how far back will these books fall? Like to what percentage?

1. Do they fall below 2016 Q1 pricing?

2. Do they level to 2016 pricing, like it was a lost year?

3. Do they have a slight gain (10% or so) over previous 2016 pricing?

4. Do they see significant gain (you can only far so fall type scenario) so even if they "Burst" they still well above 2016 pricing?

Those are the questions Im curious about now. Its one thing for people to identify a bubble, its another thing to define what exactly IS the effect of said bubble and what will the effect be once its passed on the long term price of the book. 

9 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Assuming this is all a bubble and the people paying these prices are somehow foolishly throwing away money on these books at these prices (what we are implying)....how far back will these books fall? Like to what percentage?

1. Do they fall below 2016 Q1 pricing?

2. Do they level to 2016 pricing, like it was a lost year?

3. Do they have a slight gain (10% or so) over previous 2016 pricing?

4. Do they see significant gain (you can only far so fall type scenario) so even if they "Burst" they still well above 2016 pricing?

Those are the questions Im curious about now. Its one thing for people to identify a bubble, its another thing to define what exactly IS the effect of said bubble and what will the effect be once its passed on the long term price of the book. 

What eventually causes any bubble to burst is an over saturation of sellers of said product looking to take advantage of the inflated price and cash in, resulting in demand not meeting the supply and the suppliers then lowering prices in order to attract the attention of perspective buyers, I would assume that since there have been landmark sales as of late, the perceived value of af15 has risen , so ultimately I would say the value would settle above 2016 pricing , but by how much is hard to say

50 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since most board members here are stating that the AF 15 market is in the midst of a gigantic bubble right now, I guess this should be the best time to ask for an outrageous price instead of waiting a few years from now.  hm

Especially since bubbles are bound to burst eventually and the CGC 7.5 market might be back down under the $100K mark by then.  :tonofbricks:

I think it will correct itself a little bit but not in a huge way. If it was any other SA book (maybe not SC4 or Hulk 1 either but then again Hulk 1 CGC 9.0 just sold for less than what someone paid for it a few years back at 275 000$....maybe that was just one really desperate buyer and nothing else) I would say yes there will be most likely a larger pull back but I don't think this applies to AF15. I am still a firm believer this book was still very undervalued compared to AC1 and TEC27 in every grade. Yes I know it increased previous years but it truly fell behind in terms of value compared to the other top 3 books in the hobby.

Edited by SC22

2 hours ago, SC22 said:

I think it will correct itself a little bit but not in a huge way. If it was any other SA book (maybe not SC4 or Hulk 1 either but then again Hulk 1 CGC 9.0 just sold for less than what someone paid for it a few years back at 275 000$....maybe that was just one really desperate buyer and nothing else) I would say yes there will be most likely a larger pull back but I don't think this applies to AF15. I am still a firm believer this book was still very undervalued compared to AC1 and TEC27 in every grade. Yes I know it increased previous years but it truly fell behind in terms of value compared to the other top 3 books in the hobby.

I tend to agree.  Even if/when it does pull-back, it won't be a large percentage hit.   Anyone that has bought recently and can afford to hold (when dropping that kind of coin, I hope you can afford to hold), will be just fine in 5-10 years (being conservative) if the price dips now;"just fine" = break even.  

It really is the 3rd biggest book in the hobby.  If it were the same age as AC1 or TEC27, it would fight for that top spot.  It's a "blue chip". 

19 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I tend to agree.  Even if/when it does pull-back, it won't be a large percentage hit.   Anyone that has bought recently and can afford to hold (when dropping that kind of coin, I hope you can afford to hold), will be just fine in 5-10 years (being conservative) if the price dips now;"just fine" = break even.  

It really is the 3rd biggest book in the hobby.  If it were the same age as AC1 or TEC27, it would fight for that top spot.  It's a "blue chip". 

Exactly!!

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

+ 1

35 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

+ 1

Good to see some people looking at the positive side!! AF15/Spidey deserves all the respect Superman or Batman get if not more with the current generation (maybe not Batman....he is my favorite hero)!!

Edited by SC22

14 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

I disagree. If by "biggest" you are referring to value /safe harbor, then there are dozens of better golden age books. 

If defining by demand and accessibility for a superhero key, then I'd  say it's clearly number 1

if ranking by superhero, then likely number 2 (surpassed in popularity only by batman imo)

so must define the parameters to the statement...

if no monetary value is assigned, and first appearance book is criteria, then maybe it is the 3rd most desired key (or 4th if one considers captain America)

its all relative

Edited by G.A.tor

16 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I disagree. If by "biggest" you are referring to value /safe harbor, then there are dozens of better golden age books. 

If defining by demand and accessibility for a superhero key, then I'd  say it's clearly number 1

if ranking by superhero, then likely number 2 (surpassed in popularity only by batman imo)

if no monetary value is assigned, and first appearance book is criteria, then maybe it is the 3rd most desired key (or 4th if one considers captain America)

its all relative

I agree with Gator.

Although the demand for this book is clearly strong, the supply is also very high (relative to many highly desired GA books), across almost all grade ranges.

The relative commonality of AF15, IMO, causes it to be less of a "safe harbor (as Gator puts it), than many other books.

AF15 is an awesome book and anyone who owns one should be both happy and proud, however, simple economics tells us that price is determined by both SUPPLY and DEMAND.

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

its all relative

You can make an argument that AF15 is the MOST desirable comic book in the world. Tec 27 and Action 1 are of course more expensive in grade, but they are so prohibitively costly that all but the top few hundred collectors cant even dream about owning them. Not so with AF15. Its just as important a book as either Tec or Action, but while the price has gone up dramatically its STILL in the wheelhouse of most advanced collectors. That more people are going for it because its actually possible for them to own I think makes a case this book is number 1.  Its got the historic pedigree of any other book, but its price while hefty , is still possible for the buying pool. You can get a decent complete copy for 4 figures, where its 6 figures for the other two. Just food for thought.

4 hours ago, Hudson said:

I agree with Gator.

Although the demand for this book is clearly strong, the supply is also very high (relative to many highly desired GA books), across almost all grade ranges.

The relative commonality of AF15, IMO, causes it to be less of a "safe harbor (as Gator puts it), than many other books.

AF15 is an awesome book and anyone who owns one should be both happy and proud, however, simple economics tells us that price is determined by both SUPPLY and DEMAND.

Only a few thousand have been graded by CGC and most of them range from CGC 0.5 to CGC 5.5 after that they become much scarcer. The demand for Spidey is higher than the supply even if there are a lot more out there that have not been graded as of yet. The market can and does absorb them. There are millions upon millions of Spidey fans worldwide I understand not all of them can afford the book but even if you take say 10% of that number that can that is a whole lot of people versus the amount available graded or not.

Edited by SC22

6 minutes ago, SC22 said:

There are millions upon millions of Spidey fans worldwide I understand not all of them can afford the book but even if you take say 10% of that number that can that is a whole lot of people versus the amount available graded or not.

All I can say is that 10% of millions and millions is a pretty large percentage here.

I believe it's more like a fraction of less than 1% of Spidey fans who would be interested in the actual Spidey comic books themselves, and only a fraction of that small fraction would be interested in slabbed Spideys which they could not even open and read.  hm