• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

Seems like a 4.0 copy is the sweet spot to sell for the lower mid grades. There's a 4.0 with minimal chipping auction style on eBay starting at $25k by Gary Dolgoff. Not a bad looking copy. Also a trusted and long time dealer.  Would be interesting to see if the book sells this time around.  Was up a couple of times I believe with no takers. 

6 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Seems like a 4.0 copy is the sweet spot to sell for the lower mid grades. There's a 4.0 with minimal chipping auction style on eBay starting at $25k by Gary Dolgoff. Not a bad looking copy. Also a trusted and long time dealer.  Would be interesting to see if the book sells this time around.  Was up a couple of times I believe with no takers. 

I believe Gary Dolgoff listed that book a few times with a 29K starting bid price. Same here, I wonder if it will get some action this time at a lower starting bid.hm

7 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

i'd call it a lot more than minimal chipping actually. it's pretty significant chipping. i agree he is a trusted longtime dealer, but i don't think that's a barometer book, since it's less than ideal for the grade with all those chips. 

23 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I find that significant starting bids sometimes throw off bidding competition. Could be what happened and what may happen with this one. 

On 9/9/2017 at 8:26 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

i'd call it a lot more than minimal chipping actually. it's pretty significant chipping. i agree he is a trusted longtime dealer, but i don't think that's a barometer book, since it's less than ideal for the grade with all those chips. 

Maybe slight-mod at most. I've seen copies where chipping occurs at the entire right edge and sometimes even affects more than just the edges. Looking at the book again, it's not all that bad. 

ComicConnect AF15 sales this evening.

The CGC 5.5 went for 36 500$ (a lot of Marvel chipping):

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=731956

The CGC 2.5 went for 16 000$ (Nice front cover back cover has big stain):

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=735473

The CGC 4.0 went for 27 000$ (a lot of Marvel chipping):

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=727867

Edited by SC22

18 minutes ago, SC22 said:

ComicConnect AF15 sales this evening.

The CGC 5.5 went for 36 500$ (a lot of Marvel chipping):

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=731956

The CGC 2.5 went for 16 000$ (Nice front cover back cover has big stain):

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=735473

The CGC 4.0 went for 27 000$ (a lot of Marvel chipping):

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=727867

The 5.5 didn't offer the 6 month payment option and the other 2 did , the 4.0 had horrible chipping and dried glue on the cover, in comparison the 5.5 with less chipping went for a steal,, the 2.5 also had the time payment option and went for a strong price.... moral of the story is offer 6 months intrest free payments if you re selling on comic connect

Edited by Ryanfromottawa

22 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Old label slab with no Marvel chipping and definitely nicer than the CGC 5.5 with Marvel chipping that just sold on CC.  (thumbsu

Not sure if I would want to pay an extra $80K for a lower graded copy, although it's quite possible that might be an undergraded copy since it's old label goodness.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

16 minutes ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

The 5.5 didn't offer the 6 month payment option and the other 2 did , the 4.0 had horrible chipping and dried glue on the cover, in comparison the 5.5 with less chipping went for a steal,, the 2.5 also had the time payment option and went for a strong price.... moral of the story is offer 6 months intrest free payments if you re selling on comic connect

A good idea but you to have wait 6 months(or whenever the buyer pays in full)

1 minute ago, Spiderturtle said:
18 minutes ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

A good idea but you to have wait 6 months(or whenever the buyer pays in full)

Does 6 months really make that much of a difference if you are a long term collector who's had the books for years or possibly even decades.

Now, if you are a flipper or speculator who's hopping from book to book without having any real money, yeah that would be an issue then. 

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Does 6 months really make that much of a difference if you are a long term collector who's had the books for years or possibly even decades.

Now, if you are a flipper or speculator who's hopping from book to book without having any real money, yeah that would be an issue then. 

Very true, good point

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I'm kind of like a black hole , where as when I buy items for my collection, they rarely leave ,as opposed to flipping them at the next auction/ eBay etc. Especially with higher ticket items , it's very appealing as a buyer to be able to spread the 10-20-30 k spent on an expensive piece for my collection over time, and often has lead me to pay over fmv/ gpa . 

At these prices Hulk 1 is looking real cheap in almost every grade compared to AF15.

You can still get a CGC 4.0 for 14 000$ or less and that has no chipping or almost none at that.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dhulk%2B1%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1202326

Edited by SC22

1 minute ago, SC22 said:

At these prices Hulk 1 is looking real cheap in almost every grade compared to AF15.

You can still get a CGC 4.0 for 14 000$ or less and that has no chipping or almost none at that.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dhulk%2B1%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1202326

How many copies do you own, snake oil salesman?