• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2017 at 12:20 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, it looks like we got the answers to both of our questions here:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookSearch.php?searchType=advanced&listing_type=event&pageSize=25&pageNum=4

1)  The R must have stood for Restored as the 8.5 copy is indeed a Slight/Moderate (C2) Restored with color touch, tear seals, pieces added, and trimming; and

Can anyone read the seral number to figure out when this was put in plastic? All I got is this phone nowadays. 

12 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

alas, - one more grail defaced.

I agree with you but that's just my opinion. Just a valid opinion is that people like and collect signatures of creators. 

With that said, it doesn't particularly look like (to me) Stan Lee's scrawl, regardless of the time of day/type of day Mr. Lee has had. 

curious what this sells for. 

Edited by NoMan

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:45 PM, Spiderturtle said:

+1,creases on the spine is big deal for cgc

CGC also downgrades for tanning of the interior covers, which is sometimes found on books with c/ow or worse page quality.  Does your copy have clean, white interior covers, or any tanning halo?

Just now, namisgr said:

CGC also downgrades for tanning of the interior covers, which is sometimes found on books with c/ow or worse page quality.  Does your copy have clean, white interior covers, or any tanning halo?

No just the reader crease on the spine 

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

Come on man, "tanning" has NOTHING to do with the purported "page quality" (paper suppleness) on the label, and the "whiteness" of the paper does not either.  At all.  

As demonstrated by this book with nice bright cover whites, but supposedly "slightly brittle pages" on the inside:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=725873

Haven't we been over this enough already?   lol

-J.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Come on man, "tanning" has NOTHING to do with the purported "page quality" (paper suppleness) on the label, and the "whiteness" of the paper does not either.  At all.  

As demonstrated by this book with nice bright cover whites, but supposedly "slightly brittle pages" on the inside:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=725873

Haven't we been over this enough already?   lol

-J.

Anyone experienced with Silver and Golden Age comics out of the slab has experienced what I posted, that "CGC also downgrades for tanning of the interior covers, which is sometimes found on books with c/ow or worse page quality."

There are entire collections that bear this out.  Just look at the Savannah SA Marvels or the Mohawk Valley collection from the late fifties and early sixties for proof.  Hundreds and hundreds of examples in each of these two collections alone, where the page quality is c/ow (or in a few cases light tan to off-white), and the interior covers suffer from tanning halos.  In some cases, the exterior covers, too.

It's a fact, so no, 'we' don't need to be over this again.

As for your linked comic, it has a tanning line along the right edge of the front cover.  Even if it didn't, it would be irrelevant to the relationship sometimes seen between the yellowing of the edges of the interior covers and the interior page quality, since only the owner of the comic prior to encapsulation would know what the interior covers look like.

Edited by namisgr

10 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Anyone experienced with Silver and Golden Age comics out of the slab has experienced what I posted, that "CGC also downgrades for tanning of the interior covers, which is sometimes found on books with c/ow or worse page quality."

There are entire collections that bear this out.  Just look at the Savannah SA Marvels or the Mohawk Valley collection from the late fifties and early sixties for proof.  Hundreds and hundreds of examples in each of these two collections alone, where the page quality is c/ow (or in a few cases light tan to off-white), and the interior covers suffer from tanning halos.  In some cases, the exterior covers, too.

It's a fact, so no, 'we' don't need to be over this again.

As long as you understand that there is not necessarily a correlation between the two, (ie one thing does not "cause" the other thing, and/or the presence of one thing does not indicate the presence of the other thing), then we are good.  ;)

-J.

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

As long as you understand that there is not necessarily a correlation between the two, (ie one thing does not "cause" the other thing, and/or the presence of one thing does not indicate the presence of the other thing), then we are good.  ;)

-J.

What, then, were the two independent things that led to all of the Savannah Marvels and early SA Mohawk Valley books having (1) interior edge tanning and (2) poor page quality?

Edited by namisgr

Just now, namisgr said:

What, then, were the two independent things that led to all of the Savannah Marvels and early SA Mohawk Valley books having interior edge tanning and poor page quality?

I don't know.  I explained in detail what can cause edge tanning several pages back.  Definitely not going to delve back into that again here. lol But spider turtle just said his book that says "cream to white pages" on the label has no interior tanning.  

And FTR, neither does mine. 

-J.

6 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I don't know.  But spider turtle just said his book that says "cream to white pages" on the label has no interior tanning.  

And FTR, neither does mine. 

-J.

Well, that's two examples, so it must be true of each and every book with suboptimal page quality.  (:

For entire collections with interior cover edge tanning and inferior page quality, it's the storage conditions in high heat and exposure to air that simultaneously affect both the cover and interior paper.

Edited by namisgr

7 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Well, that's two examples, so it must be true of each and every book with inferior page quality.  (:

With how grossly inconsistent CGC is in how they divine "PQ", no one can know either way.   

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

17 minutes ago, blazingbob said:
47 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

With how grossly inconsistent CGC is in how they divine "PQ", no one can know either way.   

-J.

How they divine page quality?  Is that like a blessing?  

divine as a verb ( discover by intuition or insight or in their case "guess" lol )

Edited by Gotham Kid

57 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

So you don't believe in CGC's opinion on Page Quality calling it grossly inconsistent. Yet you firmly believe in their opinion on grade.  Combine this with your selective 'data' to back your claims and your statements have no credibility. Do you ever notice that when you bring this same silly argument up, you stand alone. Nobody ever backs you. 

12 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

So you don't believe in CGC's opinion on Page Quality calling it grossly inconsistent. Yet you firmly believe in their opinion on grade.  Combine this with your selective 'data' to back your claims and your statements have no credibility. Do you ever notice that when you bring this same silly argument up, you stand alone. Nobody ever backs you.

That kind of "sandbox logic" doesn't mean I'm wrong.   (shrug)

-J.