• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If the staples are on the vertex of the spine, can you see staple rust ? Can you see the side of the book from a scan. Can you see a spine split ? These are two conditions that can happen while in the slab. Tears can get worse, grow in size. A chip can fall off. So many things are not in the notes or can get worse in the slab that cannot be ascertained from a scan. What gives you the right to call other people's opinions 'nonsense' Are you that much better than the rest of us ? Are you on top of the mountain looking down at us. You obviously have a high opinion of yourself, and never acknowledge anybody else's opinion. Do me a solid and at least stop with the derogatory, demeaning comments when in discussion.  

If I can't see something I need to see in a scan, I ask for more pictures.  Can a spine spontaneously split in a slab?   I don't know, I've never heard of that happening.  The rest of the things you mention, again, are visible through the slab. And at the end of the day, if a book has something that I didn't see or wasn't disclosed by the seller, and I see it through the slab when I get the book in hand, and if I don't like it, I just send the book back.  (thumbsu

Whereas I will never know whether or not that "PQ" on the label means anything unless I crack the book out of the slab and fondle it myself. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

44 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
55 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If the staples are on the vertex of the spine, can you see staple rust ? Can you see the side of the book from a scan. Can you see a spine split ? These are two conditions that can happen while in the slab. Tears can get worse, grow in size. A chip can fall off. So many things are not in the notes or can get worse in the slab that cannot be ascertained from a scan. What gives you the right to call other people's opinions 'nonsense' Are you that much better than the rest of us ? Are you on top of the mountain looking down at us. You obviously have a high opinion of yourself, and never acknowledge anybody else's opinion. Do me a solid and at least stop with the derogatory, demeaning comments when in discussion.  

If I can't see something I need to see in a scan, I ask for more pictures.  Can a spine spontaneously split in a slab?   I don't know, I've never heard of that happening.  The rest of the things you mention, again, are visible through the slab. And at the end of the day, if a book has something that I didn't see or wasn't disclosed by the seller, and I see it through the slab when I get the book in hand, and if I don't like it, I just send the book back.  (thumbsu

Whereas I will never know whether or not that "PQ" on the label means anything unless I crack the book out of the slab and fondle it myself. 

-J.

......you're wrong, Jay.......... again...................now take you a shot of liquor and go to bed :baiting: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

And herein lies the explanation for your blind spot.  You don't submit appreciable numbers of comics for encapsulation.  Anyone who's had significant numbers of early SA comics graded knows that the interior covers sometimes exhibit tanning halos front and back, and this is typically accompanied by inferior page quality.  They also know that CGC downgrades for interior as well as exterior cover edge tanning, with the magnitude of the downgrade depending on the severity of the edge tanning and the numerical grade of the book had it not had the tanning.

22 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Thanks for chiming in with that nugget of wisdom Jimbo. :)

-J.

...sometimes late at night I find myself overcome with a misguided sense of my own self importance, I apologize that you were subjected to it.... GOD BLESS...

2 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

...sometimes late at night I find myself overcome with a misguided sense of my own self importance, I apologize that you were subjected to it.... GOD BLESS...

You've certainly got nothing to be apologizing for, James.

I think I may have seen you at the Baltimore show.  On Friday, there was a guy at Blazingbob's booth looking at atom age books who resembles your posted pix.  My bad for not introducing myself then.  Hope you enjoyed the Con.

Edited by namisgr

2 minutes ago, namisgr said:

You've certainly got nothing to be apologizing for, James.

I think I may have seen you at the Baltimore show.  On Friday, there was a guy at Blazingbob's booth looking at atom age books who resembles your posted pix.  My bad for not introducing myself then.  Hope you enjoyed the Con.

I think I may have seen you as well..... but wasn't sure. I thought about asking, but if it wasn't you I didn't want the individual to think I was some kind of nut job, although, to be honest, I probably am. lolGOD BLESS...

12 minutes ago, namisgr said:

And herein lies the explanation for your blind spot.  You don't submit appreciable numbers of comics for encapsulation.  Anyone who's had significant numbers of early SA comics graded knows that the interior covers sometimes exhibit tanning halos front and back, and this is typically accompanied by inferior page quality.  They also know that CGC downgrades for interior as well as exterior cover edge tanning, with the magnitude of the downgrade depending on the severity of the edge tanning and the numerical grade of the book had it not had the tanning.

Everything you said is technically accurate.  

As is my statement that edge tanning does not necessarily have anything to do with the purported "page quality" on the label (see above). ;)

-J.

14 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

No need to apologize Jimbo.  Happens to me all the time. (:

-J.

Folks, head over to Comics General as Eric had a bunch of comics stolen (pics available) including the AF15, Hulk 1 and ASM 1. Hopefully someone can spot them somewhere.

Edited by Gotham Kid

So, Blazing Bob has my 5.0 and I was there at the moment a chip fell off just before it went in to be graded and slabbed. It's the only chip ever off the book and I bagged it up and included it with the submission. That was the last I ever saw of it. It might be between the pages unseen, I really don't know. I was told that if that was reattached it would not be viewed as restoration in it was only tape and I don't know if that's true. It's a moot point now but a .5 difference might have happened if it hadn't drifted off the book that sad morning.  I've had that book fifty years.  As in real life, getting old is hard. 

21 hours ago, BoomCity said:

A cgc 1.5 just finished at 10.5k. Has heavy moisture damage and mould on it. Figured that’d go for quite bit less then a normal 1.5. I would’ve looked at the book and not the grade here. Guess it shows the strength of the book at least with intro copies! 

This one appears to present much nicer although the cover is detached. Should be interesting to watch...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-1-5-C-O-W-pgs-Origin-1st-app-Spider-Man-Ditko-Kirby-/352173210856?hash=item51ff28bce8:g:LPAAAOSwpcxZynXS

Edited by Philreal

1 hour ago, SC22 said:

Seems like there is going to now be only one AF15 CGC 4.0 in the upcoming ComiConnect auction. I guess they realized having multiple 4.0's is not good for business.

I've never see CC put multiple keys of the same grade in an auction, have they?...they have too much experience to dilute the bidding base, I would think

22 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
2 hours ago, SC22 said:

Seems like there is going to now be only one AF15 CGC 4.0 in the upcoming ComiConnect auction. I guess they realized having multiple 4.0's is not good for business.

I've never see CC put multiple keys of the same grade in an auction, have they?...they have too much experience to dilute the bidding base, I would think

And if they were super smart, they never should have done a simple dump of what was sitting in their inventory waiting to go to auction.

Now, many of the potential bidders already knows about the other 3 copies or 4 copies of the AF 15 in the same CGC 4.0 grade that will most likely be available to them in future upcoming auctions.  doh!