• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

You need to drink the kool aid in order to buy this book at the reserve.

Bob,

T'aint that much kool-aid around for me.  Gotta imagine he has set reserve at or near that $115K mark.  He needs more than hallucinogen-laced kool-aid.  Now maybe with some hookah brownies... lol

20 minutes ago, Chickenwings said:

Do you know the seller?  Just curious if you have seen the books in hand.  

Yes I know the seller,  I have not seen the book in hand but have looked at large scans.

Owner feels that the book is a higher grade in the holder (Don't we all).  He is very optimistic on a possible 2 grade upgrade where I am not.

Edited by blazingbob

From what I have seen with reserve auctions, I also believe that some bidders tend to stay away from it.  I guess they don't want to 2nd guess on what the reserve may be and is a turn-off in my opinion.  No reserve auctions for a book like this tends to be the best bet, could possibly realize a higher price than what the highest bid is from a reserve auction or just a buy it now/best offer options which he has up.

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Yes I know the seller,  I have not seen the book in hand but have looked at large scans.

Owner feels that the book is a higher grade in the holder (Don't we all).  He is very optimistic on a possible 2 grade upgrade where I am not.

Why hasn’t he sent in for the upgrade? Just curious if you know

Sounds like looking for a rube bidder which may be less effort and definitely less cost than resubmission.  If it is upgraded and sold ebay costs are still consistent.  He may be confident of an upgrade but it could also drop or more than likely stay where it is.  

To be honest, it is not a bad idea to try this.  At least he can get an idea of where it ends without much effort and I guess no cost if it doesn't meet reserve.  I don't think reserve listings cost anything like regular auction fotmat up to 50 listings per month are free.  

On 11/6/2017 at 8:29 AM, Glassman10 said:

Chipping makes my head hurt looking for the rationale.

Chipping is taken into account in all grades.

The lower the grade, the more chipping that is allowed in a given grade.

They may not weigh it the way you would but they do weigh it.

47 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I predict bidding will end at $55k

That would make sens a whole lot more than 115 000$ he had it as a BIN. Maybe in 3-5 years that BIN will be a new norm at that price level but not as of now that is for sure.

Thing is will he let it go for 55 000$.

Edited by SC22

The actual numbers on the 5.0's at 50-55K aren't actually clear and that's due to the private sales. The numbers are real but there's no real motivator to reveal them. Mine sold. I never said the final came in at for how much exactly. It did have a list price. 

I do think right now that 55K is a good place to stop and think really hard. You still need to bid the book, not the grade.

Edited by Glassman10
clarity