• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, SC22 said:

You don't think the Asian market can be a serious market just a bubble market? Say even 1 million people start collecting over there out of more than 2 billion that is not even 1%.

That is only 1 nation some other nation or nations might get involved over time as well.

While I am sure there is a capacity for more foreign collectors to enter our hobby, let’s think about this realistically:

currently there are likely less than 100,000 active current comic collectors in the US. For arguments sake , Let’s double that number for active collectors of current and vintage. As a % of our own population, that is approx 6/1000 of 1%....0.006%

and of that , probably only 5% of the .006% are willing or able to pay 5 figures for a comic. That means that probably only 0.0003% of Americans are interested/able in AF15 and the like. 

So I don’t see any path that gets us to even a fraction of that fraction from overseas potential collectors. 

Doesnt mean that our hobby won’t stay healthy for the foreseeable future (whether 2 years or 20 years or more), but I certainly wouldn’t count on “tremendous” growth from outside markets. 

Just my opinion, of course. 

Edited by G.A.tor

8 hours ago, SC22 said:

There is a new price point for AF15 how hard is that to accept. Yes there are many copies up for sale and most are doing just fine and a lot better than even 1-2 years ago. Some are selling for less than some record prices but that is to be expected when a market sets a new tone. Some people over pay some people under pay and some people pay exactly what it is that is how markets grow. How long are people going to call this a ''bubble'' it has been like this for a year or so. Bubble. bubble and more bubble talk....how  about 2-3 years from now....will some still wonder if it is a bubble. If it was any other SA key I would maybe agree but AF15 sells and even if the market is full right now they for the most are still selling (especially threw auctions that start and end with no reserve. All this trying to get out before the ceiling falls is non sens. Most are keeping their copies. Very few out of the 10 000 copies or so that exist are up for sale. I would venture to guess not even 1% of them are up for sale at any given time.

spiderman.jpg

How I love the smell of AF15 panic in the morning. I imagine it is extremely unsettling to see books in the exact grade that you own (AF15 and BB28) deliver underwhelming results in Wednesday's CL auction. Time to put your best pumping skills to work before the Asian market collapses :tonofbricks:

56 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

How I love the smell of AF15 panic in the morning. I imagine it is extremely unsettling to see books in the exact grade that you own (AF15 and BB28) deliver underwhelming results in Wednesday's CL auction. Time to put your best pumping skills to work before the Asian market collapses :tonofbricks:

I think they are his brothers not his :baiting:

6 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

I have no panic at all. What I see in the sense of panic is people taking notice that the quality of the book, not the grade given, along with the number of comics being offered for sale, all at the same time.  More timing than panic. That's supply and demand coupled up to quality.  I'd take a non chipped AF 15 any day in almost any grade  over one that looked like it had been hit by a machine gun. But I realize that I just keep repeating myself.  The issue right now probably would be better focused on grading and its relationship to the grade converting to dollars. It doesn't.  If the book is one of quality, its moving up. If it isn't, it isn't .

8 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

No panic my BB28 is a much stronger looking 6.0 hence the result. And the AF15 6.5 did well in my opinion at 67 000$ with that PQ (and the top staple damage as well) and with the time of year it is. Results are always weaker it seems this time of year and that will last till the spring or so.

Edited by SC22

9 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

While I am sure there is a capacity for more foreign collectors to enter our hobby, let’s think about this realistically:

currently there are likely less than 100,000 active current comic collectors in the US. For arguments sake , Let’s double that number for active collectors of current and vintage. As a % of our own population, that is approx 6/1000 of 1%....0.006%

and of that , probably only 5% of the .006% are willing or able to pay 5 figures for a comic. That means that probably only 0.0003% of Americans are interested/able in AF15 and the like. 

So I don’t see any path that gets us to even a fraction of that fraction from overseas potential collectors. 

Doesnt mean that our hobby won’t stay healthy for the foreseeable future (whether 2 years or 20 years or more), but I certainly wouldn’t count on “tremendous” growth from outside markets. 

Just my opinion, of course. 

Time will tell. Gator is the AF15 in a bubble or has that bubble passed and there is a new price point for this point in every grade that is now just the accepted norm?

Edited by SC22

20 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Besides the handful of AF15s, Heritage has a ton of great books at auction. Wow.

Are those the Magik Woo books? I've lost track of when the auction at HA with all his books is to happen. Or did it already happen? 

25 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I thought Magic had his books graded by Voldy?  

Did he have some CGC books too?

From what I saw at auction, they were all graded by the Distinguished Competition, and a bunch auctioned already by Heritage.

Edited by namisgr

13 minutes ago, namisgr said:
37 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I thought Magic had his books graded by Voldy?  

Did he have some CGC books too?

From what I saw at auction, they were all graded by the Distinguished Competition, and a bunch auctioned already.

Yes, they've been spread over a few years going back to the Suspense 3 from a couple of years ago to the AF 15 from August of 2016 and then to the rest of the Spideys just this past summer.  Along with a whole bunch of other supporting books behind these headline grabbers of course. 

I believe the 9.8 graded copy of SilVer Surfer 4 is scheduled to come out next summer, along with apparently another as of yet, still ungraded HTF GA books.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

22 hours ago, SC22 said:
22 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I think that you have no idea what you are talking about.  lol

And it's basically you and one other person pumping/defending the market so hard I can feel the ground shaking miles away.

Why do you even bother with this hobby as a dealer if you only see the market falling over time? I would not want a job with a company that I know will fail.

Where do you want this market to end up seriously? Promote selling then tell people hey it's going to fall....never seen that before must be a new marketing strategy.

It would be like buying a new car while the guy just says your going to lose so much on this but hey buy it and you will be happy and that is what matters with a huge fat grin on his face. Don't worry about the money my ''friend'' it's all about the fun!!

What kind of dealer are you do you just want to be the one making profits and as far as your clients go their payoff should only be happiness of owning comic books and never to make any kind of money out of it. 

I'm not talking about the comic market. I'm talking about your economic analysis of Chinese culture finding an interest in American culture.

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I'm not talking about the comic market. I'm talking about your economic analysis of Chinese culture finding an interest in American culture.

Why not anything is possible in such a connected world. A lot of people here in Canada collect baseball cards even though our national sport is hockey. And vie versa.

I am not saying the Asian market will be huge at first it will take time like anything else to build and grow.

Edited by SC22

On 11/2/2017 at 10:49 PM, VintageComics said:

If they have a fascination with Elvis, it's only because Elvis is American and was an American legend first...and stayed legendary all these years.

But if Elvis culture fades and disappears there is less of a desire for outsiders to own it. It's just simple psychology.

That's why I see Mickey Mantle rookie cards being a bad bet long-term. If Elvis is starting to fade than Mantle cards will be in deep doo-doo in the future.

At least with Elvis you can hear his songs still played on You-Tube and Spotify. Who other than baby boomers are going to have nostalgia memories for Mickey Mantle?

Which brings us back to AF#15 and Spider-Man being a great future bet as Spider-Man keeps reinventing himself with new movies and videogames introducing him to new audiences, unlike Mickey Mantle.

Was looking at Amazon best selling categories this week and these made the top of the lists.

Spider-Man: Homecoming [Blu-ray]

127511brp.jpg

No Mickey Mantle stuff at the top of the charts.

My bet is AF#15  will continue to be desired as a top collectible, while others fade.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

24 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That's why I see Mickey Mantle rookie cards being a bad bet long-term. If Elvis is starting to fade than Mantle cards will be in deep doo-doo in the future.

At least with Elvis you can hear his songs still played on You-Tube and Spotify. Who other than baby boomers are going to have nostalgia memories for Mickey Mantle?

Which brings us back to AF#15 and Spider-Man being a great future bet as Spider-Man keeps reinventing himself with new movies and videogames introducing him to new audiences, unlike Mickey Mantle.

Was looking at Amazon best selling categories this week and these made the top of the lists.

Spider-Man: Homecoming [Blu-ray]

127511brp.jpg

No Mickey Mantle stuff at the top of the charts.

My bet is AF#15  will continue to be desired as a top collectible, while others fade.

I hope your right about the mantle I want one so bad but waiting for the pull back

12 minutes ago, yanksarod22 said:

I hope your right about the mantle I want one so bad but waiting for the pull back

I looking at 10-15 years from now. :foryou:

Also, I think Yankee fans have a new hero in Aaron Judge that will take the main focus off of the Mick.

This was the first year I ever saw a Yankee player like Judge surpass Mantle in popularity.

The torch as been passed to Judge the new face of baseball.

ce8f7a8c022e87c19dd134dc47ac349d.jpg