• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

Anybody seen the new HA catalogue from nov 2017 auction? There is about 7 af15s. 7.0 is highest I think

the heck with Mickey Mantel or Elvis. 

Time pieces are king

GRAND SIEKO!

its a pain to type with phone

:ohnoez:

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

It is good though to compare Spider-Man to Elvis, Mickey Mantle and other famous icons. As it shows why AF#15 is a great bet for now and in the future compared to others. In other words if you are going to spend good coin on a collectible than AF#15 seems as good a bet as any collectible that came out these last 60 years. Can anyone name me any other collectible(NOT JUST COMIC BOOK) that came out after 1950 that is desirable as AF#15?

My bet is Spider-Man and Batman a decade from now will both still be hot because new generations of fans are discovering them by the millions every year thru movies, animation, action figures and video games. In other words Batman and Spider-Man stuff constantly stays modern and dynamic, while a lot of the other real life icons fade do to them getting old, and dying along with their fanbases.

Spider-Man is like Sherlock Holmes and ages well, unlike Mickey Mantle and countless other icons of the 20th Century.

Do you want to compare an AF 15 to a '53 Vette?

I wouldn't compare Spidey to Sherlock Holmes. One was created in the context of classic literature while the other resulting from a pop culture medium. Classic literature and music (Mozart, Verdi, etc) will most likely be studied by posterity as many of us have embraced it in our lifetimes. Better to compare Spidey to Mickey Mouse or Chaplin's "Tramp"character. Personally, it's silly to compare what you collect and prefer to the stuff sought after by others (underlying this all is the notion that "what I collect is better than what others collect."). Do you think the Baseball historian and collector of that game's memorabilia is automatically a collector of comics? Baseball cards are just one area of collecting for the fan of that game. Buy what you like- we can't take it with us.

Let me suggest you delve into original cut singles made by Elvis and those of the '50s. 

One can learn a great deal just by watching Antiques Roadshow.

Edited by bronze johnny

1 hour ago, bronze johnny said:

Do you want to compare an AF 15 to a '53 Vette?

I wouldn't compare Spidey to Sherlock Holmes. One was created in the context of classic literature while the other resulting from a pop culture medium. Classic literature and music (Mozart, Verdi, etc) will most likely be studied by posterity as many of us have embraced it in our lifetimes. Better to compare Spidey to Mickey Mouse or Chaplin's "Tramp"character. Personally, it's silly to compare what you collect and prefer to the stuff sought after by others (underlying this all is the notion that "what I collect is better than what others collect."). Do you think the Baseball historian and collector of that game's memorabilia is automatically a collector of comics? Baseball cards are just one area of collecting for the fan of that game. Buy what you like- we can't take it with us.

Let me suggest you delve into original cut singles made by Elvis and those of the '50s. 

One can learn a great deal just by watching Antiques Roadshow.

Classic Cars are money pits. I use to be into them years ago. :preach:

I would think AF#15 going forward is a better bet than a 53 Vette in 10 to 20 years.

btw I am aware about Elvis and Sam Philips with Sun Records. Those Sun Records are the holy grails for Elvis,but I still say in 10-20 years  AF#15 is a better bet than those Sun Records. 

You really can't beat characters like Spidey and Bats because they don't age and constantly have new audiences.

Anybody remember Charles Lindbergh and Hopalong Cassidy?

At one time their stuff was more popular and more sought after than Spider-Man stuff, and what happened was they died and than later most of their audience has died which has collapsed their markets. That won't happen with Spider-Man because every year millions of new fans get introduced to him.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

There are a lot of AF15's on the market right now. The two 7.0's certainly are the nicest. There a lot of 5.0 and down that are all badly chipped. I think that a number of books that presented well went at very handsome prices and I think the quality of those  books indicated that there are buyers who were willing to pay higher prices than many venues get if the quality is there. 

So I think there was then a rush to market on more marginal books with questionable grading and we've seen some lower prices than a bull market might have wanted to see. Mass sell offs affect stocks too.  If books continue to sell below current expectations, I suspect that books will be withdrawn from sale for the time being as long as people can afford to hold on to them.  If the books really need to move, it becomes a buyers market.   Not every 5.0 is going to bring 57K nor is every 4.0 going to bring 35K. It at least appears that way this week. 

I liked collecting old Mercedes Benz's. It was nice to have something you could work on and actually make better than it was when you got it based on your skills set.. 

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Classic Cars are money pits. I use to be into them years ago. :preach:

I will take the AF#15 going forward over a 53 Vette in 10 to 20 years.

btw I know all about Elvis and Sam Philips with Sun Records. Those Sun Records are the holy grails for Elvis,but I still say in 10-20 years  AF#15 is a better bet than those Sun Records. 

You really can't beat characters Spidey and Bats because they don't age and constantly have new audiences.

Anybody rememember Charles Lindbergh and Hopalong Cassidy?

At one time their stuff was more popular and more sought after than Spider-Man stuff, and what happened was they died and than later most of their audience has died which has collaspsed their markets. That won't happen with Spider-Man beause every year millions of new fans get introduced to him.

Did you collect 53 vettes? '67 Vette L-88s? Do you follow the Jackson-Barrett car auctions? I'm not even going to get into the Ferraris from the 50s and 60s.

AF15s more valuable than the Elvis Sun Records original singles cut on 78s in twenty years? My guess is that the extreme scarcity of them will make it exceedingly difficult for any collectibles from that era to surpass.

History is cyclical and comic book characters are not immune to those cycles. People do remember Lindbergh- Lindbergh lost a great deal of his popularity for leading the America First movement and his coming out against America's entering the Good War (good thing he wasn't successful). Who knows- maybe someone will decide to write a book that exonerates Lindbergh's role. As for Cassidy let me ask you this question: Does every real historical figure have to be reinvented?

Predicting that something will be more valuable than something else in twenty years is as easy as predicting the weather in 10 days. The great thing about making such predictions is that no one will remember or even care.

What many are also failing to realize is that the King of Rock 'n Roll is still around- there was a recent Elvis sighting in my neighborhood...

Edited by bronze johnny

11 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

What many are also failing to realize is that the King of Rock 'n Roll is still around

I visited the US for the first time this Summer. At Graceland, there were a good 2000 people there on the day of my visit. Easily more than half the crowd was well under my age (45)

1 hour ago, Glassman10 said:

There are a lot of AF15's on the market right now. The two 7.0's certainly are the nicest.

Very appealing 7.0s indeed. The HA copy is currently at $71,700.00. It's always nice to see a non-chipped copy listed. I'd venture a good 35-40% of all AF15s suffer from some degree of Marvel chipping.

Edited by Gotham Kid

15 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I visited the US for the first time this Summer. At Graceland, there were a good 2000 people there on the day of my visit. Easily more than half the crowd was well under my age (45)

Sure, Elvis is dying...

Wikipedia:

Graceland is a mansion on a 13.8-acre (5.6 ha) estate in Memphis, Tennessee that was owned by Elvis Presley. It is located at 3764 Elvis Presley Boulevard in the vast Whitehaven community, about 9 miles (14.5 km) from Downtown and less than four miles (6 km) north of the Mississippi border.[5] It currently serves as a museum. It was opened to the public on June 7, 1982. The site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on November 7, 1991, and declared a National Historic Landmark on March 27, 2006. Graceland is the second most-visited house in America with over 650,000 visitors a year; second only to the White House.[6] [7][8]

The only reasons why Graceland is second to the White House:

- The White House is free admission

- People visit Washington D.C. to see the White House, Capitol, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, etc.

Graceland stands on its own...

9 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Sure, Elvis is dying...

Wikipedia:

Graceland is a mansion on a 13.8-acre (5.6 ha) estate in Memphis, Tennessee that was owned by Elvis Presley. It is located at 3764 Elvis Presley Boulevard in the vast Whitehaven community, about 9 miles (14.5 km) from Downtown and less than four miles (6 km) north of the Mississippi border.[5] It currently serves as a museum. It was opened to the public on June 7, 1982. The site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on November 7, 1991, and declared a National Historic Landmark on March 27, 2006. Graceland is the second most-visited house in America with over 650,000 visitors a year; second only to the White House.[6] [7][8]

Did you know that an Elvis fan in Denmark built a replica of Graceland ( larger in size though ) ? It too serves as a museum.

http://memphismansion.dk/

I found out about about him through an article on CNN. Gave him a call and chatted for a good half hour. Very nice fellow.

http://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/denmark-graceland-elvis/index.html

Edited by Gotham Kid

Robert,

unless I'm mistaken, the ComicLink 6.5 that ended a few nights ago is the same copy that you sold as a cbcs graded copy ?

RADD5EAC20171020_103858.jpg

Amazing Fantasy #15   CBCS 6.5 F+ $83,500 SOLD
Edited by Gotham Kid

54 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Very appealing 7.0s indeed. The HA copy is currently at $71,700.00. It's always nice to see a non-chipped copy listed. I'd venture a good 35-40% of all AF15s suffer from some degree of Marvel chipping.

I think that HA copy will speak volumes about cash layouts as related to quality comics. I have only two books with MC, both Journey in to mystery, I think an 84 and an 86 and it's extensive . Neither is slabbed.It's not just the chipping. General page quality feels porous.   My AF15, which did not have chipping felt very different in your hands before it was slabbed. 

I don't know where or how the assumption that there are 10K copies of the AF15 around comes from. How would anyone know that? If you're right, then 3-4 thousand are chipped and if at all like my JIM examples are, decomposing. The census seemed to list around 1000 above a 5.0 in universal grade or that's what I recall. I no longer subscribe to GPA.

Edited by Glassman10

1 hour ago, Glassman10 said:

I don't know where or how the assumption that there are 10K copies of the AF15 around comes from.

Guess-estimate from some dealers. Maybe more, maybe less. Who knows. This is after all a book from 1962, not 1939.

There are, to date, 1743 Universal, 39 Qualified and 276 Signature copies. Roughly 2000+ copies. And that number is certainly growing. Some will surely defend that CGC census numbers are flawed because of resubs, etc. I am leaving cbcs and pgx copies out of the equation, so it should balance things out.

GAtor mentioned an individual that alone held over 60 raw copies (in nice condition) iirc. Like him, I'm sure there are many others that hoarded them over the years.

Edited by Gotham Kid

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

Anybody seen the new HA catalogue from nov 2017 auction? There is about 7 af15s. 7.0 is highest I think

the heck with Mickey Mantel or Elvis. 

Time pieces are king

GRAND SIEKO!

its a pain to type with phone

:ohnoez:

I know if I had a copy in the HA auction I'd be pissed. Or I'd take mine to another a-house. Too many could kill all 7's hammer. Unless the grades all spread out.

Just now, peewee22 said:

I know if I had a copy in the HA auction I'd be pissed. Or I'd take mine to another a-house. Too many could kill all 7's hammer. Unless the grades all spread out.

5.5 - Restored

6.0 - Pence

Nice looking copies. the 6.5 has MC. Bad. the 6.0 has MC, too

Edited by NoMan