• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

I liked collecting old Mercedes Benz's.

I worked for Mercedes Benz for 11 years.

My dad's 1st car was (I think) and 1958 Mercedes Benz 220 S in 1960 when he emigrated into Salzburg, Austria at the age of 20 (random pic from the internet).

image.jpeg.398b8976c3be88edc9efb8947c11dbfd.jpeg

My uncles used to co-own a 280 SE as an investment (random pic from the internet)

image.thumb.jpeg.148654a98644cb295ce629b7c4e9a283.jpeg

My favorite Benz was themid 1990's 124 body Benz's. They were handsome and bulletproof (random pic from the internet).

image.thumb.jpeg.5347cbfcd7f420c2186349976199c7a9.jpeg

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
2 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

What many are also failing to realize is that the King of Rock 'n Roll is still around

I visited the US for the first time this Summer. At Graceland, there were a good 2000 people there on the day of my visit. Easily more than half the crowd was well under my age (45)

I saw Graceland for the 1st time a couple of years ago. I cried uncontrollably. It was a spiritual experience.

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Guess-estimate from some dealers. Maybe more, maybe less. Who knows. This is after all a book from 1962, not 1939.

There are, to date, 1743 Universal, 39 Qualified and 276 Signature copies. Roughly 2000+ copies. And that number is certainly growing. Some will surely defend that CGC census numbers are flawed because of resubs, etc. I am leaving cbcs and pgx copies out of the equation, so it should balance things out.

GAtor mentioned an individual that alone held over 60 raw copies (in nice condition) iirc. Like him, I'm sure there are many others that hoarded them over the years.

Rarity is one thing and what people want to collect is another. Everyone knows GA books are rarer but a lot of people prefer the SA. Personally I love the TEC series and Captain America Comics series. Thing is even someone tried to collect the non key issues they are expensive in any grade.

Edited by SC22

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Guess-estimate from some dealers. Maybe more, maybe less. Who knows. This is after all a book from 1962, not 1939.

There are, to date, 1743 Universal, 39 Qualified and 276 Signature copies. Roughly 2000+ copies. And that number is certainly growing. Some will surely defend that CGC census numbers are flawed because of resubs, etc. I am leaving cbcs and pgx copies out of the equation, so it should balance things out.

GAtor mentioned an individual that alone held over 60 raw copies (in nice condition) iirc. Like him, I'm sure there are many others that hoarded them over the years.

I believe he said they all averaged about 3.0-4.0 with many likely restored.   

-J.

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I worked for Mercedes Benz for 11 years.

My dad's 1st car was (I think) and 1958 Mercedes Benz 220 S in 1960 when he emigrated into Salzburg, Austria at the age of 20 (random pic from the internet).

image.jpeg.398b8976c3be88edc9efb8947c11dbfd.jpeg

My uncles used to co-own a 280 SE as an investment (random pic from the internet)

image.thumb.jpeg.148654a98644cb295ce629b7c4e9a283.jpeg

My favorite Benz was themid 1990's 124 body Benz's. They were handsome and bulletproof (random pic from the internet).

image.thumb.jpeg.5347cbfcd7f420c2186349976199c7a9.jpeg

I have had  a  (2) 190SL, A 220A, A 220 S. A 190D, A 300D , and a 170K. They were joys to look at and hell to work on. I got parts from Germany... sometimes. You had to be in love... really deeply. I only had 1 AF15. It was far easier to ship across country. The 1909 s - VdB went to my brother. I was only 10 years old...

Now I collect memories mostly. 

17 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

There were a few restored. A couple of high grades but yes, the majority were gd-vg range. I’ve sold most of them over the past 3 years. The really nice copy ended up being trimmed when we sent to cgc (disappointment but that’s life)

9 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Maas and Bam Bam never were the homerun king like Aaron Judge. At first you could compare them not anymore.

Judge at 6 foot 7 is kind of becoming a superhero to younger fans. First baseball player in years to have this kind of appeal. One of a generation baseball player that doesn't come around often, and being in NY really, really does help to add to the mythos. Wait until the Yankees win a World Series than his rookie cards will be even more desired.

Judge has a great level head on his shoulders and is humble , not just my opinion but that of his fellow competitors !!

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

There were a few restored. A couple of high grades but yes, the majority were gd-vg range. I’ve sold most of them over the past 3 years. The really nice copy ended up being trimmed when we sent to cgc (disappointment but that’s life)

Oh, so they have all since been slabbed and sold. Good to know. Thanks.

Edited by Gotham Kid

Just now, G.A.tor said:
2 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Oh, so they have all since been slabbed and sold. Good to know. Thanks.

Not all, but most

Out of curiosity, what grade came back on the trimmed copy ?

Chipping makes my head hurt looking for the rationale.

It seems that CGC considers chipping to not be a defect that should hurt its grade. We have boatloads of Chipped books, many with grades I don't think they deserve. 

So, OK, How come if its a non defect according to CGC, if you trim the non-defect off which isn't one, , removing the non defect is a defect that drops its grade. If one removes 1/16th of an inch of the cover which wasn't defective, it becomes suspect. This puts bees in my head.