• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Spiderturtle said:

Hope you not referring to me.  I will say that I will be forever grateful for you pointing me to my 1st 7.0, still have it.  Not gonna gloat or cheer anymore on the price wise of the book.  I can say no matter the grade of the book, owning any af15 in any grade is an exciting feeling.

:hi: I wasn't referring to anyone in particular but I guess using 7.0 as an example might make you think that. That was a really nice copy. I am sorry I passed on it. I had it in hand, at my house but the seller and I just couldn't agree on the arrangements. However, I am glad you got it as it is obvious you gave it a good home and really appreciate it. I would have been upset if it had gone to someone that simply pressed and flipped it.  The only copy I ever owned came back as a PLOD and I eventually moved it. In today's new environment it would have had the conserved label so I made a mistake. I don't own a copy but I am still a fan and like to participate a little in this thread. Kind of like you can still like Apple products without owning the stock. I think some existing owners here just don't realize how annoying it can be to read nothing but financials. Show the love, not the profits. Thanks for listening.  

Someone in Gold made a post that several boardies own 9.4 copies of AF15. I only know of amazingspiderfan. If that knowledge is public, would love to hear who and when and most importantly how they got it. Nuts to what they're worth !

Edited by Gotham Kid

Again though, this book can cost anywhere from the price of a good used car to a full blown McMansion in the California Hills. Even the worst copy, 99% of collectors will never even think they could afford to buy. This book is a years salary in decent grade for most people...you have to admit that money and value of the book in the "I own an AF15" thread IS going to be one if not the primary topic of discussion when the price is so astronomical. When these books start costing as much as Beemers its sort of not fair to lament the price talk. You dont pay 20-80 thousand dollars cause "I loved the 2nd interior splash when i was a kid". We are all investing in this book, lets not kid ourselves.

If this book was 100-500 dollars in today's economy yeah sure all the price flux talk would get old...but its not. I like discussing things like printing of the book and welcoming new members of course. But price and market by design almost has to be at the forefront of discussions in this one particular thread.

I think whats more fair to say is: be aware of any post you make trying to play up the value in hopes of pushing speculation OR in downplaying the cost and implying folks who paid higher than you got jobbed. Find a happy spot in the middle if talking price/value (something I try myself for, to various degrees of success).

56 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'll acknowledge your points. You are correct, prices and price fluctuation almost have to be discussed. However, it's the same small circle of owners who keep going over the same stuff to the point of boredom and borderline gloating. I'm just suggesting they chill a little. My favorite posts are when a new copy comes up for sale and we discuss the  appearance,flaws, likes and dislikes about the copy.  Trying to predict pricing is interesting also. There's a lot of fun and entertaining things to talk about here that can include financials, without gloating about how much money you made on the book. IMO, personal financial situations, net worth, salary, gain/loss, etc should always be kept private.   

It used to be like this Bob. Go back a couple of years and it was book after book being posted. There would be debates on the grades, etc, but I LOVE discussions like that (anything without a dollar sign).  Nothing wrong with financials in threads but not financial driven threads. Financial discussions should be ancillary topics in this thread. It's all about Spidey not the dollars. (thumbsu

Edited by peewee22

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'll acknowledge your points. You are correct, prices and price fluctuation almost have to be discussed. However, it's the same small circle of owners who keep going over the same stuff to the point of boredom and borderline gloating. I'm just suggesting they chill a little. My favorite posts are when a new copy comes up for sale and we discuss the  appearance,flaws, likes and dislikes about the copy.  Trying to predict pricing is interesting also. There's a lot of fun and entertaining things to talk about here that can include financials, without gloating about how much money you made on the book. IMO, personal financial situations, net worth, salary, gain/loss, etc should always be kept private.   

Fair enough, yeah it does seem to have a circular nature at times with the same few posting the same stuff over and over.

Ill be honest, I dont get this grade at all....ok PQ amazing color great cover well centered no chipping or browning and great spine and edges...Is this book missing part of the back cover or is the back covered in dirt or scribles? What exactly is driving this book to literally 1/2 the grade it should be based on this front scan? If nothing, why not press re-grade and get the 4.5-5?

15 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

My entry into the club

1.jpg.ef7b44de944192dc8893e443ac3c3cec.jpg

2 hours ago, ProcessedMeatMan said:

I saw this exact book on display at SDCC back in July. Back cover is chewed up. 

Wow, that's too bad - what an incredible looking AF15 from the front. Still think it would get top-end 2.5 dollars, or even more because of eye appeal