• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

AF15 8.0 listed a few days ago on ComicLink

Capture.thumb.PNG.1bf6ec3c230862973e68ea48c7c8fff9.PNG

RAD478272021528_18451.jpg

The Board needs to pause and digest what just happened in this thread. An AF15 8.0 just sold for 300k. Many of us saw the $250k sale a few years ago and were in awe. Now the book has surpassed the $300k plateau. My son just called me and asked "could this grade be a 500k book in 5 years?". The sky is the limit on this book. It's so incredible. I've always said the money is secondary on this book. It's the history, the character, the idea, and the bullpen behind it. I purchased Spidey #73 in a multi bag (4 comics in a bag) at Magic Mart in Pine Bluff, Ark in 1969 and was hooked. May Spidey live on forever. :x

8 hours ago, peewee22 said:

The Board needs to pause and digest what just happened in this thread. An AF15 8.0 just sold for 300k. Many of us saw the $250k sale a few years ago and were in awe. Now the book has surpassed the $300k plateau. My son just called me and asked "could this grade be a 500k book in 5 years?". The sky is the limit on this book. It's so incredible. I've always said the money is secondary on this book. It's the history, the character, the idea, and the bullpen behind it. I purchased Spidey #73 in a multi bag (4 comics in a bag) at Magic Mart in Pine Bluff, Ark in 1969 and was hooked. May Spidey live on forever. :x

Is it possible that CL in inflating sale price,  you know, for business reasons?

48 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Is it possible that CL in inflating sale price,  you know, for business reasons?

if CL wanted to inflate auction results, if would make its past auction results freely available.  To the extent that CL sets the highs on key books, folks relying on GPA or GoCollect might not bid as aggressively as they could have with knowledge of those CL highs.  That could explain why an expensive book goes for GPA instead of meeting the high set by CL the week before.  I've seen this happen recently.  2c

Edited by Pantodude

39 minutes ago, NoMan said:

That's a pretty serious statement you're making.

While there are a lot of stories and cynicism in the hobby, I've only known Clink to be straight as an arrow. If that book is listed as sold on the site, I'd personally believe it's a real sale.

8 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

While there are a lot of stories and cynicism in the hobby, I've only known Clink to be straight as an arrow. If that book is listed as sold on the site, I'd personally believe it's a real sale.

It’s a question, not a statement. 

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

I know the guys at CL personally and they have a spit-shine image. Anything is possible but you could ask that about any company in any industry.

Edited by peewee22

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Agreed. 

I have always had alot of trust in Clink based strictly on my experience with them. 

They've been on fire lately. In my opinion that's because they've been bringing quality books to the market, no buyers premiums and they offer a better overall experience than the other auction houses. 

Personally, Clink is my favorite of the big 3. 

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

Perhaps. There’s just so many. 

Not really. 8.0 and above are in much shorter supply than the lower grades. Haven't seen the census on the number of graded copies in awhile so I can't quote the populations.

9 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

New owner will one day be a millionaire if he/she holds on to it 10 years or more.

I imagine they already are, dumping that much money on single asset requires either cash on hand or leverage with other assets. 

But agree with you, it will continue to grow. 

There was a time when people didn't whip into a frenzy when there was a Marvel key on the wall. I remember when a LCS had a VG/Fineish copy on the wall for $4500 over a decade ago and I was on the fence about whether it was worth buying or not.

I was worried I'd lose money on it. lol

On 6/3/2021 at 5:00 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Can someone lend me a 7.0 so I can add it to this to get to the 8.0 mark?  

422D86FB-B30E-432D-AED8-CFF10627C5D8.jpeg

Still a nice looking 1.0