• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Comics 3

200 posts in this topic

Gator, Brian is very private in his dealings, out of respect to his other customers and for his own proprietary interests. At least that's his approach with me. I couldn't get any info from him about the Fantastic 3 that Billy now owns, sale price, etc., since I only heard about the sale after the fact. Brian withheld the info out of respect to the buyer. I was the buyer of the Central Valley, time payments no trade, and it was kept quiet but I leaked it out to a few people at the time. I bought it it as a 6.0 at his full asking because I was in no position to negotiate in a time payment situation. I saw the book while it was still raw but its 5.5 phase seems cloudy to me. Hope this helps.

Okay, now I understand why you`re so sensitive and defensive about this book, although I have to say it`s not good form to pump up a particular copy of a book without disclosing that you happen to own it.

No offense was meant when I said it didn`t look like a 9.4 to me when I saw it raw, I`m just recalling a very vivid memory since it`s a pretty unusual book to see in person (and CGC apparently agreed with me). It was still a fantastic book and a 5.5 or 6.0 for this book is like a 9.4 of most other books.

what about 5.0 copies of the book, tim? huh? huh? are they chopped liver?

have a nice day---NOT!

Gator, Brian is very private in his dealings, out of respect to his other customers and for his own proprietary interests. At least that's his approach with me. I couldn't get any info from him about the Fantastic 3 that Billy now owns, sale price, etc., since I only heard about the sale after the fact. Brian withheld the info out of respect to the buyer. I was the buyer of the Central Valley, time payments no trade, and it was kept quiet but I leaked it out to a few people at the time. I bought it it as a 6.0 at his full asking because I was in no position to negotiate in a time payment situation. I saw the book while it was still raw but its 5.5 phase seems cloudy to me. Hope this helps.

Okay, now I understand why you`re so sensitive and defensive about this book, although I have to say it`s not good form to pump up a particular copy of a book without disclosing that you happen to own it.

No offense was meant when I said it didn`t look like a 9.4 to me when I saw it raw, I`m just recalling a very vivid memory since it`s a pretty unusual book to see in person (and CGC apparently agreed with me). It was still a fantastic book and a 5.5 or 6.0 for this book is like a 9.4 of most other books.

what about 5.0 copies of the book, tim? huh? huh? are they chopped liver?

have a nice day---NOT!

a poor man's 5.5 for sure!

As many of you know, Brian and I have been good friends for over twenty years. I managed our Board-only “All Central Valley Pedigree Sale” back in 2011 and am quite familiar with the collection. Most of what's been written here is accurate but incomplete. So allow me to connect the dots:

● The entire collection was submitted to CGC at one time. There were a few books with overhangs and two large-format titles (a couple of early Feature Books and a run of Large Feature Comics) that could not be certified.

● During the summer of 2006, the Fantastic #3 was initially certified as a CGC 5.5. The book is absolutely gorgeous, but it does have a 2½” clean split at the top of the spine.

● The book was briefly available for sale as a CGC 5.5, and several of the board members who have posted here had an opportunity to inspect and/or purchase it. However, the book did not sell.

● Brian felt very strongly that the book’s overall condition warranted a higher grade, so he resubmitted it to CGC (without any intervening crack or press). Again, this was a straight resub with the book still in its original holder. CGC retired the original label (which I believe was S/N 0763809007) and deleted it from their census.

● On resub, the book received a grade of CGC 6.0. The book quickly sold for Brian’s full asking price of $19,950 (which I’m confirming rather than revealing).

The Central Valley Fantastic #3 did not “sleep around” and there were no shenanigans of any kind. Board member steelhelmet was only its second owner (not counting Brian as the intermediary). It’s an incredibly well-preserved specimen with an impeccable provenance. I hope this helps.

:foryou:

Thanks for providing the historical summary, Zzutak (thumbs u

thanks for posting the info, split or no split, 5.5 or 6.0, doesn't really matter, it is a spectacular book.

And Billy's copy is also spectacular!

+1 Very well put; could not agree more. (thumbs u

great minds, great minds. I think we both deserve a drink (thumbs u

With an attempt to re-introduce some books to this thread, that are not "Fantastic", but great nonetheless.....I submit Church and Larson copies of two terrific covers. The color choices on the Fine covers just adds so much....and who uses "pink" (cf Hit 5) as a color choice? (The Larson 10 has coupon out back cover but is a stunning book)

I rescanned these four......

Enjoy

jb

144373.jpg.a0414200681f4682078787424150a5a3.jpg

144374.jpg.c18de2f90d8819b9196b6fa695285c22.jpg

144375.jpg.988ddbb55d4df5fcdcd47a17e8d9674c.jpg

144376.jpg.0140f5558c0046ae8238508cc5904aa3.jpg

I just read through this entire thread and saw some spectacular books and came away with more knowledge than I had before.thanks all!

I was just wondering,with the two different ads..would one be more desirable than the other,affecting price at all?forgive me if it's a silly question,but I am curious about opinions on this.

Jimmers

Given that the market is becoming more sophisticated and higher stakes, I believe that scarcer "variant" versions of comics will ultimately bring higher prices then the less scarce versions in the same grade, especially when they eventually get broken out in the Price Guide. The qualifier is that this will happen first to comics where the variations are evident on the cover (e.g. Marvel Comics 1, Batman 1), but I think will, in time, spread to those comics who variations are evident only from inspecting the interior (e.g. Superman 1, Fantastic 3). The point at which internal variations will become key is when the Price Guide or CGC notes them, something I would expect CGC to increasingly do as they try to continue their efforts to incentivize resubmissions of previously graded books.

Imagine this scenario: The CGC starts noting that there are distinctions between Superman 1 as revealed by the house ad. A very reasonable supposition is that one of the house ads indicates an earlier printing than the other. Consequently, sellers looking to maximize the value of their Superman 1 would likely resubmit to CGC to get the new designation. And sellers who didn't resubmit, would likely find buyers assuming either they are selling the later version or they are afraid the grade wouldn't be sustained on resubmission or both. Who wins in this scenario? CGC and buyers.

These higher resolution scans are wonderful - thanks a lot for sharing them!

With an attempt to re-introduce some books to this thread, that are not "Fantastic", but great nonetheless.....I submit Church and Larson copies of two terrific covers. The color choices on the Fine covers just adds so much....and who uses "pink" (cf Hit 5) as a color choice? (The Larson 10 has coupon out back cover but is a stunning book)

I rescanned these four......

Enjoy

jb