• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Comics 3

200 posts in this topic

With an attempt to re-introduce some books to this thread, that are not "Fantastic", but great nonetheless.....I submit Church and Larson copies of two terrific covers. The color choices on the Fine covers just adds so much....and who uses "pink" (cf Hit 5) as a color choice? (The Larson 10 has coupon out back cover but is a stunning book)

I rescanned these four......

Enjoy

jb

:applause:

That Fantastic 3 cover just stands out and to me ranks in the top 5 covers of all time.
what would your other 4 top GA covers be?

That's something I have to put a lot of thought into.. I can tell you that Tec 31 and Marvel 1 are up there

.....all scanned out, but at one point will move to other fantastic comicbooks by Fox

jb

Glad to see you got a new scanner Jon. It does much more justice to your beautiful books.

+1... And they are beautiful indeed. :applause:

Given that the market is becoming more sophisticated and higher stakes, I believe that scarcer "variant" versions of comics will ultimately bring higher prices then the less scarce versions in the same grade, especially when they eventually get broken out in the Price Guide. The qualifier is that this will happen first to comics where the variations are evident on the cover (e.g. Marvel Comics 1, Batman 1), but I think will, in time, spread to those comics who variations are evident only from inspecting the interior (e.g. Superman 1, Fantastic 3). The point at which internal variations will become key is when the Price Guide or CGC notes them, something I would expect CGC to increasingly do as they try to continue their efforts to incentivize resubmissions of previously graded books.

Imagine this scenario: The CGC starts noting that there are distinctions between Superman 1 as revealed by the house ad. A very reasonable supposition is that one of the house ads indicates an earlier printing than the other. Consequently, sellers looking to maximize the value of their Superman 1 would likely resubmit to CGC to get the new designation. And sellers who didn't resubmit, would likely find buyers assuming either they are selling the later version or they are afraid the grade wouldn't be sustained on resubmission or both. Who wins in this scenario? CGC and buyers.

I don't think the market is deep or active enough to make these fine distinctions among printed editions a factor in their pricing or desirableness from one version to another. Maybe the Marvel Comics 1 Oct/Nov, but that's probably it. How often do these books change hands to create market separation? Not often enough for people to pay attention to the fine nuances.

Aside from the fact that it is an amazing book, why is Metro is hoarding copies and how many do they have?

To my best recollection six or seven copies were on display when I last visited Metro. Let's just assume that Stephen Fishler likes that particular book and enjoys displaying multiples of it, but he hasn't cornered the market. Other collectors/dealers do much the same without unduly influencing market prices. hm

Arguably possessing multiple raw copies reduces the likelihood of books being over-represented in the market. Also, there's a side benefit when a single owner's cache of raw copies isn't added to the CGC census and offered for sale. The rarity of graded copies tends to increase demand which translates to higher realized prices and greater market stability. My 2c

That Fantastic 3 cover just stands out and to me ranks in the top 5 covers of all time.

my very most favoriteist of all.

If ya like it so much why ain't it in ya sig line! :slapfight:

timely #1's need only apply!

Aside from the fact that it is an amazing book, why is Metro is hoarding copies and how many do they have?

To my best recollection six or seven copies were on display when I last visited Metro. Let's just assume that Stephen Fishler likes that particular book and enjoys displaying multiples of it, but he hasn't cornered the market. Other collectors/dealers do much the same without unduly influencing market prices. hm

Arguably possessing multiple raw copies reduces the likelihood of books being over-represented in the market. Also, there's a side benefit when a single owner's cache of raw copies isn't added to the CGC census and offered for sale. The rarity of graded copies tends to increase demand which translates to higher realized prices and greater market stability. My 2c

I counted 13 in their glass case when I visited in 2008. You had to look closely as they were scattered around and hidden behind other highly collectible items.

I counted 13 in their glass case when I visited in 2008. You had to look closely as they were scattered around and hidden behind other highly collectible items.

My eyes were already rolling around on the floor from other distractions! It was difficult focusing on the display case, much less counting. lol

My eyes were already rolling around on the floor from other distractions! It was difficult focusing on the display case, much less counting. lol

There were plenty of distractions. Heck, even their bathroom displays a better collection of original art than most can ever aspire to.

There were plenty of distractions. Heck, even their bathroom displays a better collection of original art than most can ever aspire to.

Yep, the difficulty factor of making a simple pit-stop increases exponentially when a vintage Subby page is looking over your shoulder. smiley-shocked025.gif

Tough book! Anyone else try to make a run at it.Final price $4,858.08http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-1940-FANTASTIC-COMICS-3-CLASSIC-LOU-FINE-ROBOT-COVER-/231135642502?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI231135642502.N15.S2.M-16.R3.TR13&nma=true&si=Gbrkc95F6P3xy2UudiUqvtgMZVU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
I considered it. I was wondering how much restoration it would take to make the copy look presentable...
I had one in similar condition, although it had corner missing, and it ran close to $2k. This one doesn't need any pieces added, just a good cleaning and spine reinforcement, so maybe $1k?
What level of restoration (I assume extensive rather than moderate), and what was the apparent grade in the end?
It was pretty extensive, and graded 7.0 And it had a wee bit more then a "corner missing " Andrew!! :P

this is the copy

photo IMG_0593_zps6a6f9c7a.jpg