• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Comparisons Between Dealers
3 3

188 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I read through the thread. Glad he got the books back. Not sure why he left the hobby from that.

From what I recall, he had an understanding with Metropolis for Church books and not once but twice they sold books he wanted from underneath him. There was a thread about his extreme frustration with Metro, but that was a while back.

So apparently it was more than just the stolen books.

Edited by sacentaur

3 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

From what I recall, he had an understanding with Metropolis for Church books and not once but twice they sold books he wanted from underneath him. There was a thread about his extreme frustration with Metro, but that was a while back.

Yes, I don't think the stolen books factored into his leaving. I remember him selling off a lot of his books, books that were previously untouchable. I just can't remember why ?

Like I said, my memory wasn't the best.  The quick search hit the stolen books but Steve looks like he has it right with the Metro tribulations.  

I wish I had the funds to continue this thread and buy, sub and post results to give an update and maybe include other dealers.  It was an enlightening thread especially if pattern is evident and maybe even increase the sample size.  I guess it doesn't have to be just one person though.  

3 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Wow, most real collectors would have simply stopped dealing with Metro rather than leaving the entire hobby in a huff.  

Seriously, if all collectors stopped collecting because a dealer (not just Metro) had not kept its promises or just flat out lied, there'd be no hobby today.  By the standards of this hobby, Metro's actions weren't even that egregious (failing to sell you a book you were allegedly promised is a whole lot better than flat out ripping you off).

I think this just highlights that Cheetah was a bit of a prima donna. 

Edited by tth2

30 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Wow, most real collectors would have simply stopped dealing with Metro rather than leaving the entire hobby in a huff.  

Seriously, if all collectors stopped collecting because a dealer (not just Metro) had not kept its promises or just flat out lied, there'd be no hobby today.  By the standards of this hobby, Metro's actions weren't even that egregious (failing to sell you a book you were allegedly promised is a whole lot better than flat out ripping you off).

That's really unfair, Tim - we don't know all the details of his decision, so I don't think it's reasonable to pass such harsh judgment. 

57 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I still don't think Metro was the reason. If it was, it may have been the final straw in a series of setbacks including the robbery. I always thought Cheetah was a stand up guy.

This was always a very informative thread to me.

From it I started keeping even closer tabs on dealers grades vs what they came back from CGC as and I learned my perception of the better graders wasn’t always played out in the reality of what I was actually seeing CGC assign them. 

This was not just true with regular dealers I had bought books from also certain members here in the selling threads. 

The results at times really did surprise me. To the point I think I might only buy slabbed books from certain people now due to their “average” being off to many times now. o.O

16 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Very weird to stop in and see this thread on the first page.  It definitely helped me beef up my Excel skills.

For those who wondered, I quit collecting books because of the turmoil the theft caused in my life.  I had over $100,000 in books stolen but in order to make sure I got as much back as possible, I spent hundreds of hours reviewing my personal inventory records, my sales records, and the prices I paid.  At the time, I had about 5,000 GA books and an equal number of modern and BA books.  My GA books were all well documented and organized but my moderns were not.  I had to go through hundreds of PMs and emails from Beachbum and eBay, organize three years worth of modern purchases, and then compare everything to compile what I hoped was an accurate list of what was missing.  Then I had to compare it to eBay sales to track what was missing down.  Add to that, the police had a bit of an attitude when I wanted the books that ended up selling on eBay returned to me and thought I should let the guy who bought them from the thief off without having to get them back...even though he said he knew they were stolen.  Honestly, it sucked 100% of the fun out of the hobby and replaced it with 100% anxiety because I no longer felt I had a safe place to put my books, and you can't put 10,000 CGC graded books under your bed.  During all of this, I was still managing my own business and raising two children as a single dad.  I'm not sure staying in the hobby would have been prudent, especially considering every crackhead in Kentucky now knew just how much my books were worth and where they were stored.

As far as Metro goes, I quit dealing with them after Vinnie yelled at me on the phone.  I found them to be unethical con men.  It wasn't a reason I quit collecting but I curtailed my purchases before the end.  Fortunately, there are (or were) plenty of good, honest, reputable dealers in the hobby so the damage was not mortal.

Sorry if I come off to some as a primadonna.  It is likely more social anxiety than anything else, though looking in a mirror is often more reflective of what is inside yourself than it is of others.

I have heard nothing but good about you since I have been here the last few years. You are definitely a positive legend around here from what I have gleaned. Everyone has to evaluate the amount of time and energy they can devote to this hobby and any other life endeavor. I hope you have found your step away to bring peace and positivity.

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

Very weird to stop in and see this thread on the first page.  It definitely helped me beef up my Excel skills.

For those who wondered, I quit collecting books because of the turmoil the theft caused in my life.  I had over $100,000 in books stolen but in order to make sure I got as much back as possible, I spent hundreds of hours reviewing my personal inventory records, my sales records, and the prices I paid.  At the time, I had about 5,000 GA books and an equal number of modern and BA books.  My GA books were all well documented and organized but my moderns were not.  I had to go through hundreds of PMs and emails from Beachbum and eBay, organize three years worth of modern purchases, and then compare everything to compile what I hoped was an accurate list of what was missing.  Then I had to compare it to eBay sales to track what was missing down.  Add to that, the police had a bit of an attitude when I wanted the books that ended up selling on eBay returned to me and thought I should let the guy who bought them from the thief off without having to get them back...even though he said he knew they were stolen.  Honestly, it sucked 100% of the fun out of the hobby and replaced it with 100% anxiety because I no longer felt I had a safe place to put my books, and you can't put 10,000 CGC graded books under your bed.  During all of this, I was still managing my own business and raising two children as a single dad.  I'm not sure staying in the hobby would have been prudent, especially considering every crackhead in Kentucky now knew just how much my books were worth and where they were stored.

As far as Metro goes, I quit dealing with them after Vinnie yelled at me on the phone.  I found them to be unethical con men.  It wasn't a reason I quit collecting but I curtailed my purchases before the end.  Fortunately, there are (or were) plenty of good, honest, reputable dealers in the hobby so the damage was not mortal.

Sorry if I come off to some as a primadonna.  It is likely more social anxiety than anything else, though looking in a mirror is often more reflective of what is inside yourself than it is of others.

Definitely glad I bumped the thread so that we had the chance to hear from you again.  

If circumstances are right for it, I hope you decide to return to the hobby. 

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

Man I am really sorry that all happened to you and especially the part about the police.  It seems like they didn't really have a dog in the fight so if they don't want to see justice done, it just comes across as them being lazy, or maybe they had something else to do that they thought was more important, but regardless, I am glad you spoke up to let us know what happened.

6 hours ago, cheetah said:

Very weird to stop in and see this thread on the first page.  It definitely helped me beef up my Excel skills

Hi Jeff. Still miss having you around.  I wish you and your family all the best.  

I remember you posting some pics from a fishing trip with your daughters from some exotic location. Hopefully you are able and do more of those fun activities.

Best wishes. 

12 hours ago, cheetah said:

Oh, I know I can definitely be a prima donna.  Hence my ability to spot another one! 

13 hours ago, cheetah said:

Great to see you back here. Your willingness to share images of your wonderful collection was a real asset to the boards. Hopefully you'll find it worthwhile to stick around.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Great to hear from you, Jeff!

+1

Your drive for excellence in your collection was an inspiration to me, and others, Jeff.  Your willingness to post the information you had about the dealers you dealt with, and pictures of your books, both were very generous.  When you decided to liquidate you brought your collection to the boards, for which many of us are grateful.  I am fortunate enough to be the steward of your Frisky Fables; I look at them often and smile!  All the best to you and your family.

FriskyFablesV12fc_zpscdhjmbqn.jpg

35 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

+1

Your drive for excellence in your collection was an inspiration to me, and others, Jeff.  Your willingness to post the information you had about the dealers you dealt with, and pictures of your books, both were very generous.  When you decided to liquidate you brought your collection to the boards, for which many of us are grateful.  I am fortunate enough to be the steward of your Frisky Fables; I look at them often and smile!  All the best to you and your family.

FriskyFablesV12fc_zpscdhjmbqn.jpg

I remember those Friskies very well.  They were beautiful copies of a title that wasn't easy to find.