• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Comparisons Between Dealers
3 3

188 posts in this topic

Your original question implied it was irrational for the purchaser to buy from the over-grader. If I never bought from over-graders or purchased slabs that I thought were over-graded, I would have a lot fewer books in the collection. As long as price & condition are a match, it seems perfectly rational for an individual collector to make the purchase.

Whether the dealer is raking in the dough depends very much on the price they charge for the grade relative to their cost structure and that's not something included in cheetah's data. Over-grading continues to be a common phenomenon among sellers, whether they be dealers or collectors.

D2 def has issues. put it this way. for every 3 books they sell they are off by an average of 4 point-grades. that's a lot of money loosely hedged out there (put up for grabs) and puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the buyer to scrutinize and make sure they know what they are getting. that they can accurately grade themselves.

if D2 can avoid the return, they are bound to be making some serious coin because of the consistent overgrade.

I don't care how the dealer grades it as long as I want the book in question at the price quoted. 2c

I guess my first question to you would be why did you continue to spend money with D2 if they were consistently overgrading? Addiction?
Figure 1 presents the data on the number of books graded/vendor along with the Cumulative Grading Increments each vendor was off. ]

Jeff, Have you had to purchases any PGX graded books and resubmit them to CGC? If so, do you have any data on how PGX's grades stood up against CGC's grade?

Not many. The biggest issue I've had on the 10 or so I've had regraded was page quality. CGC is much more likely to give something a LT/OW or Slightly Brittle when PGX called it OW/W or C/OW. I've had at least four where this happened. If the PQ isn't bad, then I've gotten grades that were comparable. As with CGC slabs, I had some pressed when they were resubmitted and they can get a similar grade bump. I don't believe PGX is as hard on stains as CGC.

I've had a few requests and guesses by PM so I will go ahead and provide names for each dealer. Try to keep it polite so this thread doesn't go 'poof'. I've still got some more data to present.

1 - Metropolis

2 - Harley Yee

3 - Bob Storms

4 - Jim Payette

5 - Stephen Ritter

6 - Heritage

7 - cheetah

I've had a few requests and guesses by PM so I will go ahead and provide names for each dealer. Try to keep it polite so this thread doesn't go 'poof'. I've still got some more data to present.

1 - Metropolis

2 - Harley Yee

3 - Bob Storms

4 - Jim Payette

5 - Stephen Ritter

6 - Heritage

7 - cheetah

Interesting data, and none too surprising based on my own experience. (thumbs u

Well done, Jeff. :applause:

Jeff, Have you had to purchases any PGX graded books and resubmit them to CGC? If so, do you have any data on how PGX's grades stood up against CGC's grade?

Not many. The biggest issue I've had on the 10 or so I've had regraded was page quality. CGC is much more likely to give something a LT/OW or Slightly Brittle when PGX called it OW/W or C/OW. I've had at least four where this happened. If the PQ isn't bad, then I've gotten grades that were comparable. As with CGC slabs, I had some pressed when they were resubmitted and they can get a similar grade bump. I don't believe PGX is as hard on stains as CGC.

Have you seen any particular defect where you perceived PGX to be tougher than CGC?

I'm not going to buy from this chronic over-grader rantrant

Dealer 7 -.25 Average GI

Have you seen any particular defect where you perceived PGX to be tougher than CGC?

No.

In the FWIW department, I think Bob Storms and Stephen Ritter are the two best at providing a grade that reflects the book in hand. They take into account pressable defects in their grading. Everyone else glosses over these defects and doesn't give them the same grade deduction that CGC does. I know when I was doing my grading, I tried to look at what I thought the book would press to. It is clear that I overestimate the effect of pressing on some defects and have concluded that I do not look hard enough for minor color-breaking creases in otherwise pressable creases.

ComparisonofGradingFigure3apdf-page-001_zps6129e386.jpg

Am I reading this right? Heritage's raw grading most closely mirrors CGC?

Yes, Heritage is pretty good at it.

I've also got data on the number of restored books each company has sold me that were not detected. This includes now many Matt nelson did/didn't detect, too. I hope to have it up before the weekend.

In the FWIW department, I think Bob Storms and Stephen Ritter are the two best at providing a grade that reflects the book in hand. They take into account pressable defects in their grading. Everyone else glosses over these defects and doesn't give them the same grade deduction that CGC does. I know when I was doing my grading, I tried to look at what I thought the book would press to. It is clear that I overestimate the effect of pressing on some defects and have concluded that I do not look hard enough for minor color-breaking creases in otherwise pressable creases.

That may be true, but your differential is not large and could alternatively be explained by CGC inconsistency or by the lack of access to their precise standards. MrBedrock and I did a trade for a number of raw books that we jointly graded. He submitted many/all for grading and there were surprises in both directions, some of which baffled us. It might be interesting if he can post a summary.

You mention that there were books excluded from the survey because had unadvertised restoration or some other significant problem pointed out by Matt Nelson. Is there a possibility of other selection bias due to you not even ordering a book because you believed from the scan that it was over-graded?

Am I reading this right? Heritage's raw grading most closely mirrors CGC?

Yes, Heritage is pretty good at it.

Heritage has undergraded every book I have bought from them per CGC. Sample size is not huge, but it makes swallowing the tax/fees easier.